Acrophilia #20: Breakers of Chains

Dolorous Gabe

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Congratulations on a fabulous first round!

Thanks. :-) 

There were some interesting keywords in this round. "Friendzoned" brought up the Jorah association immediately, and, intererestingly, "feathered" reminded me of Xho almost immediately, too, even before I figured out a meaning for "nocker". (I had also made a clue for Xho once, so I studied his wiki entry at the time, and now "feathered" just evoked his wiki image.) "Polyglot" also led me to Missandei very quickly.  

On the other hand, there are so many blades in the books that solving the Brienne clue and the Daario clue took me a lot of research and a process of elimination because all sorts of blades came to mind. 

9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I honestly thought Friendzoned rat was very easy for Jorah. Who else was both friendzoned and a rat? Please tell me who the wrong guesses were, it will help me in my thinking!

In retrospect, "Friendzoned rat" fits Jorah to a tee, but for whatever reason, he did not come to mind. It made me think of Littlefinger.

2 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

In retrospect, "Friendzoned rat" fits Jorah to a tee, but for whatever reason, he did not come to mind. It made me think of Littlefinger.

Never even thought of him!    :eek:

But he wasn’t a rat when he was friendzoned, though he was needy. But when older and not friendzoned (because Cat was married) he wasn’t needy.

8 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Never even thought of him!    :eek:

But he wasn’t a rat when he was friendzoned, though he was needy. But when older and not friendzoned (because Cat was married) he wasn’t needy.

:lmao:Sorry, that level of convolution is above my pay grade. All I was able to put together in coming up with Littlefinger is he often acts like a friend, think Ned as Hand, but it always ends up with "I told you not to trust me".

It's weak, I know. Jorah makes all the sense in the world - it's a good, clear clue, I just whiffed on it.

@Robb4Ever happy to talk. You were going to enjoy watching me struggle or all of us? I wasn't sure. I certainly will struggle - I do with both acro games - but I enjoy word games even though I suck at them.

16 minutes ago, Robb4Ever said:

Well, I give up on finding the theme. The themes I thought of don't fit w/the characters I've guessed. I am wondering if I should just analyze the character I was given and see if I can spot a theme by studying his/her wikia page thoroughly. :dunno:

Often you will need to see a connection between over half the characters, then use the connection to see any possible wrong answers you might have. Then see if you can find an answer for those possible wrong answers that do fit the connection between the others.

It's a puzzle. It's supposed to take time. I didn't quite get the balance right in R1 but I think the balance might be better here.

If people aren't getting this theme within the next few days I'll post a(nother?) hint on the thread :P

57 minutes ago, Robb4Ever said:

Well, I give up on finding the theme. The themes I thought of don't fit w/the characters I've guessed. I am wondering if I should just analyze the character I was given and see if I can spot a theme by studying his/her wikia page thoroughly. :dunno:

I had the same problem. I "think" these clues were obvious and that I got at least 5 of them right, so a theme should emerge, but I'm not seeing it either. I couldn't even come up with a guess.

DG's suggestion for taking an extra look a clues that don't fit the apparent theme doesn't work for me this round. The only answer I'm 100% sure of (the answer I was given to write a clue for) is the one that blows all my themes to smithereens.

@Ser Not Appearing Here's the first hint DG gave us (from his r.2 clues post): "The last two have an element that mean they fit the theme just a little differently from the rest."

I think I have the theme or something related to the theme, and so I think I have all the answers to the clues, but since there is no preliminary round I'm hanging on to them for now. And thinking about the theme.

But I thought I had the theme last round after figuring out 4 clues, except I was out to lunch, and that misled me on the rest of the clues. I suspected I was wrong in my later answers, though, because the clue should fit the character like a glove. When you find out what the answers are you bang your head and say, that was obvious!

50 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Often you will need to see a connection between over half the characters, then use the connection to see any possible wrong answers you might have. Then see if you can find an answer for those possible wrong answers that do fit the connection between the others.

It's a puzzle. It's supposed to take time. I didn't quite get the balance right in R1 but I think the balance might be better here.

If people aren't getting this theme within the next few days I'll post a(nother?) hint on the thread :P

I am sure on five of the characters, including the one referenced in my own clue, but only four of them fit together, and the fifth doesn't, and I am certain the fifth is right too, cos of 'unusual excreta' thing. And that is the source of my frustration.

9 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I'm lost on the theme and am certain on all but 2 answers... and I'm pretty confident in those other 2 answers.

I stink at theme identification.

Which number clues are you uncertain of? Just curious. Definitely not trying to gauge whether my clue was easy to guess or not. Certainly not.

58 minutes ago, Robb4Ever said:

Which number clues are you uncertain of? Just curious. Definitely not trying to gauge whether my clue was easy to guess or not. Certainly not.

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway. In descending order of confidence:

8) 100%

6) 100%

7) 100%

2) 70%

3) 50%

4) 50%

5) 30%

1) 25%

4 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

@Ser Not Appearing Here's the first hint DG gave us (from his r.2 clues post): "The last two have an element that mean they fit the theme just a little differently from the rest."

When DG is the host, any word may be a hint. You never know (only in retrospect). :idea:

Archived