Acrophilia #20: Breakers of Chains

Dolorous Gabe

This is proving a smidge harder than I expected.

With enough correct characters, the theme should be very gettable. One player appears to have spotted it.

There is only one clue that is eluding everyone so far. It is a good clue that uses a reference to a quote about the character and then a reference to a self-styled nickname or title, and his/her character.

I will also state here that although #6 has been understood and correctly answered, its author's intention was simply to use a nonstandard suffix for that particular word to make the sentence work. The definitions posted on the thread were not intended.

I'll try to hand out new character assignments for R2 at some point today.

ROUND TWO

This round's theme is also one I would describe as straight-forward but we're going to have a change of system. In this round you will receive author points. You will get 1 point for each correct answer to your own clue. This means your task is to write easier clues but I have not rejected any randomly generated acronyms in search of better ones. What came up is what you get and I will not be moderating the difficulty level, that's entirely up to you. However, I will be strict on the other rules: words must feature in the Oxford English Dictionary or in ASoIaF, so there can be no coining of words. In this round you will only get a prelim guess at the theme. There will NOT be a vote for favourite clue at the end of the round.

Randomly generated acronyms

T V F

I O N Q

U H B U E

Your characters will be delivered shortly

The deadline will be on Friday 7th February at 11:00pm UK time (GMT)

We're into the final 24 hours of the R1 deadline. 23 hours now in fact.

It has either been harder than I anticipated or we're all just very rusty.

It has been solved though, so it can indeed be done.

This really is a straight-forward theme, so take those answers you are certain of and see if a pattern emerges, a commonality between them. And maybe that will then help you see the answers you haven't found.

I may give you the weekend to vote for a favourite clue and perfect your new clues, as I am now unlikely to be able to post the new round of clues till Monday.

23 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

One final piece of assistance on clue #6

One internet-searchable definition of the troublesome word is actually helpful, yet completely unintentional on the author's part.

All I see is that the word nocker is not a word in Scrabble, since it isn't found in any dictionary. 

19 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

We're into the final 24 hours of the R1 deadline. 23 hours now in fact.

It has either been harder than I anticipated or we're all just very rusty.

It has been solved though, so it can indeed be done.

This really is a straight-forward theme, so take those answers you are certain of and see if a pattern emerges, a commonality between them. And maybe that will then help you see the answers you haven't found.

I may give you the weekend to vote for a favourite clue and perfect your new clues, as I am now unlikely to be able to post the new round of clues till Monday.

...something to be thankful for as i sit dreaming of feathered knockers... :leer:

:owned:

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

All I see is that the word nocker is not a word in Scrabble, since it isn't found in any dictionary. 

I am pretty sure have got the sense of the clue but I don't think I have found the correct answer despite a lot of searching and rereading.

ROUND ONE ANSWERS

1 - Rare blade. Of purpose? Delving.

Answer: Brienne of Tarth

She is a rare blade, she carries a rare blade, given to her for a specific purpose, delving to find Catelyn’s daughters.

From the Island of Tarth

2 - Queen’s itinerary changeable, boring audience elements woefully

Answer: Daenerys Targaryen

When her plan to invade Westeros is put on hold, she remains in Meereen, much to many a reader’s frustration.

Born on the Island of Dragonstone

3 - Royal bedwarmer. Outstanding polyglot. ‘Daughter’.

Answer: Missandei

One of her tasks is as a bedwarmer for Dany. She is fluent in numerous languages. She referred to Dany as mother.

From the Island of Naath

4 - Ribald blades. Opportunist. Paid defender.

Answer: Daario Naharis

The hilts on his blades are shaped as naked women. He is a sellsword.

From the island of Tyrosh

5 - Freindzoned rat. Needy.

Answer: Jorah Mormont

Refused advances towards Dany, whom he sold information on to the KL council. A wreck without purpose.

From Bear Island

6 - Feathered, Requesting Nocker 

Answer: Jalabhar Xho

Extravagant feather cape. Frequently requests help to win back his seat. An archery finalist at the Hand’s Tourney

From The Summer Isles

7 - Red Blue Orange - “Princely” Deceiver

Answer: Salladhor Saan

Described by Davos as “most colorful”, the self-styled ‘Prince of the Narrow Sea” has no loyalty without money

From the island of Lys

8 - Reluctantly beds outwardly peachy devotee.

Answer: Asha Greyjoy

She resists Qarl the Maid before enjoying having sex with him. She refers to his attempted beard as “peach fuzz”

From the Iron Islands

Theme: Island origin: characters born on / from an island.

Time to vote for a favourite clue. Authorship is still to remain secret. Send me your vote in private and make sure you’re happy with your new clue for R2. Get these done by the end of Sunday and I’ll post the new clues on Monday.

57 minutes ago, Castellan said:

I have not got feathers or princely colours and am not sure of #1 and no theme because my best theme doesn't match MY OWN CLUE!!!!!!!

i had to just hold my balls and jump... :uhoh:

my theme and my answers match...sadly most of my answers have absolutely nothing to do with the crazy whacked out words in each and every clue...

:smoking:

...and now i know why...

shit shit shit I had Jalabhar as my first thought but I thought the person must be requesting a nocker meaning either asking for an archer or asking for a bow!!! Overthinking..... what an idiot!

Salladhor is the one prince I didn't find. 

Blah. I changed from Brienne.

It made sense but then I decided it was less likely that the clue described a blade carried and more likely that it describe a person who was considered a rare fighter and so I switched to Baristan, who I thought was less a good fit for the searching part but who did resolve to search for the rightful heir to the throne.

Archived