Revelation Space Question

bms295

Im about 3/4s of the way through revelation space and im wondering when the proper time to start Chasm City is. Ive read some people recommend reading it before starting the trilogy, but i wasnt aware of it then. Since ill have already read the first book, is it still important to read before starting the second? Any help appreciated.

On 1/9/2020 at 4:24 PM, bms295 said:

Thanks. Is Chasm City essential to understand the rest of the trilogy?

It’s important enough that you should read it second. It wasn’t my favorite book of his, but it has some good world building and there’s a payoff in the trilogy you won’t get if you don’t read Chasm City. 

11 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Is it? It’s been a while but I don’t remember it affecting much. I think it’s my favorite of his books though I’ve only read about half.

Yeah maybe. It’s been a long time for me. On the other hand, it’s another book to read before Absolution Gap, and putting off that awful book is well worth it. 

I've been doing a re-read of Revelation Space- I didn't like Redemption Ark any more than Revelation Space myself but then I thought Revelation Space was really good, so...

Just starting Absolution Gap so we'll see how that goes. I remember it being the weirdest one and yeah, the ending to it being in a completely other book is just weird.

I haven't got to Chasm City on the re-read yet but it definitely is the best book in the 'verse from recollection, mostly because it's the most structurally sound other than the slightly more throwaway Prefect prequels. The pacing of the series is odd and not quite right even aside from the ending being elsewhere- like the fact that a major character payoff, and its later equally major consequences, happen in the gap between books 2 and 3.

Archived