The Crash of Ukrainian International Airlines Flight PS752

Fragile Bird

American officials are speculating that Flight PS752 was brought down by an Iranian missile, presumably mistaking the flight for an American attacker.

Presumably we will get a better picture as information is gathered from the crash site. The Iranians, having refused Boeing and US authorities access to the black boxes, have provided them to the Ukrainians and are apparently going to provide them to Canada as well.

You may have read that 63 passengers were Canadian, but actually 138 of the 167 passengers on board were coming to Canada. Those Iranian citizens were returning to Canada to continue their studies at university, many being PhD or MA students, and a few were high school students prepping for attending a Canadian university next year. Flags are at half-staff right across the country, and students and faculty at universities in 6 provinces are in shock, mourning the loss of classmates and colleagues.

Here's an article about some of people who sadly lost their lives in the crash.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/63-canadians-dead-ukraine-crash-1.5418892

Assuming the speculation is true and it was a result of heightened defense because of our attack, that's more blood on our hands. Trump won't give a fuck, not will his supporters because 'it's Iran's fault, not ours'. but that's not how things work. It's unintentional, but there's a pretty straight line between the action and result. Chalk it up to casualties of stupid wars that hits closer to home than when we unintentionally cause the deaths of those faceless people over there. Trump can't even compose a proper response of condolences because why the fuck should he care? They weren't Americans, after all - that would require him to wave his dick some more. Not care, mind you, just dick-wave.

Children and madmen playing with WMDs. This administration, our military command, and the Iranian government need to be held accountable. And they won't be. 

We're living in a mad world. 

21 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Apparently the Iranians have now invited American participation, asking Boeing to be part of the investigation. How that will happen needs to be worked out since the US has imposed more sanctions, including travel.

Puts the ball in the USA's court to lax sanctions to do that. If not that will now make the US look bad since Iran is at least giving the image of wanting it investigated. 

12 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

At first, I thought Boeing had fucked up again. 

Not a ridiculous assumption, but this one seemed obvious based off of my minimal training for Navy OCS. A military strike took place and the U.S. reportedly increased the number of jets in the air. Jet strikes take place at night typically, so realistically the Iranian missile defense system would have been on high alter. Some rookie with an itchy trigger finger messed up, Iran will probably try to absolve themselves of public blame while making private payments to the families and whoever F’d up will probably get killed.

8 hours ago, Rippounet said:

If the Iranians are inviting Boeing to investigate, doesn't it mean they're pretty confident they're not responsible?

All indications are that the flight was shot down from missles that originated from Iran. Invitations are easily revoked, most people will only remember that they invited the proper people to come and investigate but later barred them. 
See Hussein, Saddam.  

From what has been on the news here in Canada, the concern is that while various parties have been ‘invited’ to participate, not much will actually be shared. The Iranians have apparently asked the countries that announced their intelligence forces provided their governments with evidence that an Iranian misfile shot down the plane for that intelligence, before offering any information from their own radar systems and intelligence investigation.

The sad truth is there have been many civilian planes shot down over the years and very few countries have admitted they did it. The Russians have never admitted that the Malaysian flight shot down over the Ukraine was shot down by them, and to this day have refused to hand over the radar reports that would prove or disprove the claim. The Iranians might never do so either.

A big part of the problem is that the 63 Canadians all had dual Iranian citizenship, and the rest of the 138 going to Canada were also Iranians, so there is no leverage over the Iranian government, which considers them all their citizens. No Brits, no French, no Germans, no Americans on the flight. A big part of a crash investigation is viewing the debris field, and the Iranians very quickly picked up most of the pieces and have actually bulldozed the crash site, obviously destroying all kinds of important evidence

2 hours ago, The Last Storm said:

All indications are that the flight was shot down from missles that originated from Iran. Invitations are easily revoked, most people will only remember that they invited the proper people to come and investigate but later barred them. 
See Hussein, Saddam.  

Bit moot given theyve just admitted shooting it down, but I'm not sure you want to point to Iraqi WMDs as a triumph of inferring guilt from resistance to western investigators.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

There were 3 German and UK victims each on the flight, to be clear.

So far I have only found stories about Iranian dual citizens, all of whom the Iranians would still consider Iranians. Do you think Trump would worry about an Iranian-American, or would he say he wan’t really an American?  63 Canadians has been meaningless.

4 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

Bit moot given theyve just admitted shooting it down, but I'm not sure you want to point to Iraqi WMDs as a triumph of inferring guilt from resistance to western investigators.

I think we are all relieved that Iran stopped the farce. And no it’s not a ‘bit moot’ that the admission is a rare one. I have no idea what the bloody hell the rest of your sentence says.

42 minutes ago, DMC said:

Essentially every story I've seen detailing casualties mentions the three British and German victims

DMC, there were 63 Canadians on board, every single one of them was a dual citizen. All the stories about the other nationals have also shown they were dual nationals, therefore considered Iranians by Iran. Only the Ukrainians as far as I can tell were not also Iranians, and maybe the couple of Afghans on board.

Archived