Tywin et al.

NFL Playoffs: Hindsight Is 20/20 For Bad Coaching Decisions

I meant to post this yesterday. I strongly recommend listening to this hour long podcast. It's a conversation between Bomani Jones and Domonique Foxworth, a former DB and former NFLPA player representative, discussing the intersectionality between race, the internal politics of the hiring process and the game itself. I didn't learn all that much from it (so it's quite possible I loved it due to conformation biases) , other than white guys might be stereotyped away from playing CB  and pushed towards slot receiver (think about it, both spots require the same general skill sets and are often filled by guys too short to be an outside WR), but it is honestly one of the best conversations I've ever heard on these subjects. It's also one of the funniest f***ing things I've ever heard. I was literally crying because I was laughing so hard at certain points. Don't miss this one, especially if you think it's going to move you out of your comfort zone. 

Sticking to the topic title theme... I heard this morning on Dari and Mel that the Browns would like to have their coach hired later today and that McDaniels is the favorite.  (Said there was another top choice that I didn't recognize, and if those fell through Robert Saleh is the back-up plan.)

So on the theme of hindsight, explain to me why Josh McDaniels would agree to be the Colts head coach only to back out and go back to New England; but then take the Browns job?!!?

48 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Sticking to the topic title theme... I heard this morning on Dari and Mel that the Browns would like to have their coach hired later today and that McDaniels is the favorite.  (Said there was another top choice that I didn't recognize, and if those fell through Robert Saleh is the back-up plan.)

So on the theme of hindsight, explain to me why Josh McDaniels would agree to be the Colts head coach only to back out and go back to New England; but then take the Browns job?!!?

Some people, like yours truly, smelled something rotten with Luck and the Colts organization well before Pagano was fired.

Meanwhile, wouldn't Tomais Bradley Brady loom great in a Browns uniform?

Plus I thought I read that McDaniels grew up a Browns fan. You can’t underestimate that factor. Crackpot factor is McDaniels desire to succeed in the place Belichick failed. 

21 minutes ago, unJon said:

Plus I thought I read that McDaniels grew up a Browns fan. You can’t underestimate that factor. Crackpot factor is McDaniels desire to succeed in the place Belichick failed. 

Those would both be incredibly stupid reasons to take a job. Might be tougher to get a 3rd chance as a HC if it goes poorly again this time. 

All my titans fans friends have a weird amount of hope so I’m sure it will be crushed in the most Tennessee way possible 

My prediction for this round is no upsets.  Tempted to pick Seattle over Green Bay but with Seattle's run game so decimated, Green Bay's run game and D somewhat revamped, + Frozen Tundra I'll still pick the Packers.  

Tennessee is also intriguing, but sticking with Lamar at home.  

Will be quite shocked if Minnesota could win at SF.  

Edited by Triskele

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

My prediction for this round is no upsets.  Tempted to pick Seattle over Green Bay but with Seattle's run game so decimated, Green Bay's run game and D somewhat revamped, + Frozen Tundra I'll still pick the Packers.  

Tennessee is also intriguing, but sticking with Lamarr at home.  

Will be quite shocked if Minnesota could win at SF.  

And then you've got Houston, right?

1 hour ago, Rorshach said:

And then you've got Houston, right?

That one would be a comparable upset to Vikings over SF to me especially with Arrowhead.

And then on the Titans think about how just barely their model worked last week and might not have but for that Edelman drop.  I can't see any way that Baltimore's offense doesn't do much more than New England's did last week.  Tennessee's only chance would seem to be if they can get Henry going enough again to limit possessions and give that model its best shot, but Jackson seems so likely to put up too many points for them.  

ETA:  One fun test at this round though is how you've got SF and Baltimore with these great seasons but are so new on the scene and haven't shown it in the post-season.  

Edited by Triskele

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

McDaniels is from Ohio and apparently coaching the Browns is his dream job.

Also pretty sure he was the driving force behind the Patriots allegedly attempting to trade up for Mayfield if the Browns didn't draft him.

Edited by briantw

That was a bit of a manhandling. All Minnesota seemed to have was picking on Witherspoon and once he was taken out of the game that was pretty much it.

Feels great baby!

Just now, DMC said:

The monster DL is BACK!  They need a nickname.

Be careful what you wish for. I wonder if any of the Pats' LBs still have those dumb "Boogeymen" shirts around.

45 minutes ago, DMC said:

The monster DL is BACK!  They need a nickname.

The Oakland A's had the Bash Brothers.

The Golden State Warriors have the Splash Brothers.

The Niners now have the Sack Brothers.

I know it doesn't rhyme with the others, but it's the best I could do.