US Politics: Mail and Managers for Mitch

Tywin Manderly

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why do you think I’ve become so cynical? The politicians are grosser than you can imagine and the voters are even dumber than I feared.  

I didn't mean to imply that you wouldn't be in on the joke, only that it was poorly constructed. :P

44 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That's fair, dawg.

As was your critique. I've been on record saying that I hoped Sanders wouldn't run before he announced, and hoping that he'd drop out in favor of Warren after his heart attack.

Also, I didn't precisely defend Sanders during his spat with Warren (although I did call out Abby Phillip for calling Sanders a liar in the middle of a debate), but in hindsight I realized that he had a real opportunity to create some healing among the Democratic party (I don't believe he straight out said that a woman can't be President, which is what most of the original reporting entailed).

But, he really had an opportunity to say something like "I absolutely believe that a woman can be President, and that a woman can beat Trump, but during a 'dark night of the soul', I expressed to my friend Senator Warren that I feared that if the most formidable primary candidate in living memory couldn't beat Trump, then could any woman...or man for that matter? But then realized  that anyone on this stage can and will beat Trump."

It doesn't even have to be completely true, but it would air out the anxiety that a lot of Democratic voters are feeling, would hopefully help bridge the growing divide between progressive voters, and would show that Sanders has the ability to view problems with nuance, rather than seeing all problems as a nail, with a hammer being the only possible solution.

Archived