The Starks

Eternally_Theirs

Is it just me, or are the Starks on the receiving end of every possible worst thing that could happen?

Let's have a rundown:

- One was beheaded
- Three were stabbed to death
- One is dead in a metaphorical sense
- One is crippled for life
- One had her throat slit

The only one who is still alive and relatively unharmed is Rickon.

Seriously, give them a break.

???

Last time I checked Sansa and Arya were still alive and relatively unharmed. 

And it's not like many other PoV and characters haven't suffered any injury, loss or trauma. Just check Theon,  Jon, Daenerys, Jaime, Tyrion, Davos, Quentyn, Sam or even peoplo like Victarion, Aeron and Cersei. 

These books are telling a tragedy. Few will come to the end alive and none unharmed.

Westeros is a brutal and unforgiving place. Nobody is safe. Even Tywin, who is arguably the most powerful man in the 7K, perishes with little dignity or grace. 

I wouldn't write off the Stark girls either. They aren't likely to have forgotten nor forgiven any of what has happened to their family. And I don't think anyone is going to get a break. What we can instead hope for is our characters regaining some control and removing the self-serving and corruptible characters before it's too late. 

It's always darkest before dawn. Things had to get bad before they got better. Characters had to lose it all in order to grow. It's the same in a lot of stories. This story just so happens to be a very harsh one. 

Westeros is a brutal place. As Cersei said when you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. Plenty of terrible things have happened to people who aren't Starks. If they Starks have suffered disproportionately it's because they played the game in such a clumsy manner.

4 hours ago, DR Supporter said:

Three were stabbed to death

Wait... why three? Robb, Jon... ?

Also, Grandpa Stark was burned, Nuncle Brandon strangled himself, (we can say that) Auntie Lyanna died in childbirth and Nuncle Benjen is missing.

But also other families are suffering and will continue to suffer. For instance, the Martells: personally, I have shivers when I think of Elia. 

1 minute ago, Gingin said:

Jeyne Westerling is still alive and in an interview GRRM said that we should see her in the prologue of TWOW.

^This.

OP confuses events with the abomination. In the books, Jeyne Westerling never went to the Red Wedding. She remained at Riverrun with most of her family and the Blackfish, who held out against the Freys' siege. The Blackfish escaped, while Jeyne is one of the most important hostages of Jaime that he sends to live in Casterly Rock as he does Edmure. So, far she's alive, has never been stabbed, but her mother made sure she was drinking stuff to prevent pregnancy adn hopes to make a match for her, while Jaime promised there would be one, but Jeyne has to wait a year, so no child of hers can ever be attempted to be put forward as Robb's heir.

1 minute ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Jeyne Westerling is alive and (presumably) well; Jeyne Poole went through horrors barely imaginable due to her affiliation with the Starks.

But Jeyne Poole wasn't stabbed to death. Poor girl, though. What she survived is just awful.

5 hours ago, DR Supporter said:

Is it just me, or are the Starks on the receiving end of every possible worst thing that could happen?

Let's have a rundown:

- One was beheaded
- Three were stabbed to death
- One is dead in a metaphorical sense
- One is crippled for life
- One had her throat slit

The only one who is still alive and relatively unharmed is Rickon.

Seriously, give them a break.

This is what happens to your house when you go up against Tywin Lannister.

1 hour ago, sweetsunray said:

But Jeyne Poole wasn't stabbed to death. Poor girl, though. What she survived is just awful.

Speaking of Jeyne Poole, I hope she and Reek get married. They should invite all the Freys and Boltons to their wedding and slaughter them in Red Wedding 2.0

Also, is it just me, or do I feel sorry for Robb?

I like to dream that Jeyne Poole will be physically healed... by medicine/fire magic/ the powers of the Drowned God, the old gods and the new... and that she will be reunited with the Starks. Marriage can wait.

When it comes to Robb, you’re not alone. 

Gotta agree with most here that the Stark family has suffered the consequences of war with Tywin Lannister, directly or indirectly, Big Daddy Tywin was no one to mess around with.   Ned called him to answer for his crimes in the Riverlands while recovering from an injury Jamie gave him.   Though there were 5 kings, the only 2 who really mattered at the top level were Joffrey and Robb.   Then they went the way of the Dodo just like Balon and Renly.  Last man standing?   Who would have predicted Stannis would survive even Tywin?   Who could have predicted that Stannis would become an ally of the entire North and Jon Snow in particular?  Though the Starks have suffered greatly I think we feel it because they are nearly all made sympathetic to us--I believe they are written that way.  I don't think that Renly or Joffrey or Balon or even Tywin were written to make us feel for them the way the Starks were.   The way Brienne and Sam are.   Gads now I'm wondering if I'm supposed to be feeling what I feel for Stannis!  

I've been thinking about Theon and Robb dynamic where Theon is the cunning one and Robb the naive one. I think that a part of the reason Theon became a traitor was because he knew that Robb was destined for an ignoble end due to his personality and noped out while he still could, thus ironically starting him down on the path towards said ignoble end.

3 hours ago, DR Supporter said:

I've been thinking about Theon and Robb dynamic where Theon is the cunning one and Robb the naive one. I think that a part of the reason Theon became a traitor was because he knew that Robb was destined for an ignoble end due to his personality and noped out while he still could, thus ironically starting him down on the path towards said ignoble end.

I disagree. I think Theon betrayed him because his father made him feel like shit for being held as a ward for all those years - like that was his fault. It's completely naive of Balon to think Theon could live so many years with another family & not pick up some of their ways & traditions. Balon made him feel as if he was betraying his own blood by being friends & allies with Robb & that is ultimately why he betrayed him. Because he believed or was made to believe that his loyalties should lie with his blood. 

5 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I disagree. I think Theon betrayed him because his father made him feel like shit for being held as a ward for all those years - like that was his fault. It's completely naive of Balon to think Theon could live so many years with another family & not pick up some of their ways & traditions. Balon made him feel as if he was betraying his own blood by being friends & allies with Robb & that is ultimately why he betrayed him. Because he believed or was made to believe that his loyalties should lie with his blood. 

I said 'part of the reason' not the whole reason, but w/e.

11 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Gotta agree with most here that the Stark family has suffered the consequences of war with Tywin Lannister, directly or indirectly, Big Daddy Tywin was no one to mess around with.   Ned called him to answer for his crimes in the Riverlands while recovering from an injury Jamie gave him.   Though there were 5 kings, the only 2 who really mattered at the top level were Joffrey and Robb. 

Stannis didn't matter?

11 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Then they went the way of the Dodo just like Balon and Renly.  Last man standing?   Who would have predicted Stannis would survive even Tywin?   

They were pretty good indications from book one that the Starks were heading to a tragedy. Cat's first chapter, Bran's dream, Ned's actions, etc. They just continued trough the books.

Stannis started on AGOT as a shadow looming large over characters decisions. And they were also clear indications that Stannis is more important than all of them kings. Yes, I could have seen that, even though not necessarily t

Archived