The Starks

Eternally_Theirs

21 minutes ago, Bernie Mac said:

That kind of bond was not common in these relationships. The Crown does a superb job of highlighting how these kinds of families are and the coldness the ruler tends to have towards the other heirs of the family. Especially the members raised elsewhere. 

That coldness is there for work. He takes it off when he's around his kids. 

“He had a grim cast to his grey eyes this day, and he seemed not at all the man who would sit before the fire in the evening and talk softly of the age of heroes and the children of the forest. He had taken off Father’s face, Bran thought, and donned the face of Lord Stark of Winterfell.”

1 hour ago, thompsonmax said:

Hello there. I am new to this forum. Nice to be here. 

Hi Thompsonmax, Welcome to the forum. 

I think you'll find you won't get much reply in specific threads designated for particular topics but there are a few threads were some introducing & chit chat goes on. You can use the search function to find them. 

On 1/18/2020 at 6:03 PM, Nagini's Neville said:

Well, than I believe it. He seems so ... bright LOL I really don't think it would have made a difference, if she was raped or not to him. He doesn't even recall, what she had to say about it, like it didn't matter at all, just what his hated, evil brother said, who seems totally trustworthy. He would have murdered her either way, because, he can't loose face and he can't murder his brother, because of Balon and his fear of the sea monster.

Word

Tyrion being sexually abused by Tyrant um Tywin, does change a lot how I see his character. I definitely have a lot more empathy and compassion for him now,

Tywin was a monster. Made his son one too.

doesn't mean, that I forgive him for killing the singer,

I really have no sympathy for him. He blackmailed a member of the SC jeopardizing Tyrions position and Shaes life. He knew what he was getting into

, stepping on Marillion's hand,

Certainly not feeling sympathy for Marillion (well, maybe now) rapist ass fucker.

Sansa

Once he realized he was causing harm he stopped

, killing Shae

I agree. She was collateral damage and should not have been murdered, Tywin neither. (Both are guilty of high crimes and should have faced justice though)

and raping the disturbed slave girl.

That wasnt pleasant either, it certainly didnt work out well for him

He has definitely a serious dark side.

Definitely. Most characters do. 

The trick is to find their light. Like usually i don't like Ned, because he was a bad father, husband, uncle, friend, lord and hand, but he was a good brother. The promise he kept to Lyanna makes it all worth while for me. 

Also I was kind of there, when Theon raped Kyra, that makes it hard to forget.

That was very disturbing. Theon by then was falling deeper and deeper into madness. Kyra was certainly proof of that. Before that however she eagerly jumped into Theons bed. Still, disturbing stuff

wait what? my speech is hysterically evil? mean much? :fencing:

Yeah, she is. First at all, because I said so. And second of all, she can be anything, she wants to be! Who are you telling a woman, what she can and can not be?! LOL I will not stand for this! We'll need to fight once again. This time for L<3R's honor as  an onion. Just because she makes you cry, doesn't mean you have to fear her. Btw you are an onion too, whether you will it or no!!:fencing:

Lol, no, misunderstanding. L<3R self identifies as an onion? Lol.

I just never liked Mels analogy, it justifies cruelty for the "greater good" (shadow baby)

@Lyanna<3Rhaegar I've recently reread Arya's chapters with the Hound and I had totally forgotten, what a tremendous dick he is to her. 

Just like Dunk with Egg! Except he hits him a little more lol

He'll just try to roll and bind her into a blanket again, when Sansa isn't looking

That could be the first episode!

But seriously, he doesn't want to kidnap her anymore. Once Robb died Arya became worthless in Sandors eyes

On 1/18/2020 at 8:52 PM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Yeah could be. It is just sad. 

Ahh I gotcha. I misunderstood before.

Word. Its all moot though because of the quote Gingin supplied about Balon writing Theon

Oh for sure. Maybe that's why he smiles all the time - because if he doesn't he will cry. 

Yea exactly. 

:drunk: Ouch! Destroyed my dreams! 

Lol. Dream higher

Haha!! Yes. I seriously could watch an entire series of just Arya & the hound, provided it was done right. Even the abomination didn't screw that up. 

Lol, or at least not as bad as other stuff

13 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

The trick is to find their light. Like usually i don't like Ned, because he was a bad father, husband, uncle, friend, lord and hand, but he was a good brother. The promise he kept to Lyanna makes it all worth while for me.

Absolutely & for me, the why of it matters. In Ned's case I don't know I would call him a bad father but he certainly made mistakes. His intentions were not bad though & that makes a difference. I don't think he was a particularly bad husband though? Who is he uncle to? Sweet Robin? 

By all accounts he was a pretty good Lord. I suppose you can argue he was a bad Hand because of how things turned out. 

Word. Its all moot though because of the quote Gingin supplied about Balon writing Theon

Yep, I didn't remember that. 

Lol. Dream higher

@Nagini's Neville Hugor here has inspired me to dream higher! From now on I will identify as an orange rather than an onion. Oranges are better right? They don't make people cry. 

Lol, or at least not as bad as other stuff

Yeah absolutely. 

6 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Absolutely & for me, the why of it matters. In Ned's case I don't know I would call him a bad father but he certainly made mistakes. His intentions were not bad though & that makes a difference.

Thats true to a degree I think. I dont flat out think that good intentions equals good parenting, Lysa would be a good example of that. But I agree that it means something, as opposed to those with selfish interests in regards to their children like Doran or Tywin.

I just wish he prepared Sansa better then how he did. Especially when he was giving her to Cersei. (Which I don't immediately blame him for, especially since Cats the one who convinced Ned that declining Joffs hand would be detrimental for Stark, which I agree with. However after Cersei asked for Lady, I think that should be a deal breaker with Cersei and Joff. ) Sansas wellbeing was not Neds top priority, revenge for Jon Arryn was or saving Robert. The more and more I think about it he comes across with similar attributes to Doran. 

. I don't think he was a particularly bad husband though?

Not particularly bad, but I felt sorry for Cat. The whole Jon Snow issue drove her half mad. And when she finally built up the courage to ask about Ashara he scared her into silence. 

Its complicated because of Lyannas promise and honestly Jons life matters more then Cats happiness. But she was still miserable, so I feel bad.

Who is he uncle to? Sweet Robin? 

Jon. The one he sent to the Wall. He wasnt actually a bad uncle to Robert, defending his rights to his wardenship and what not

By all accounts he was a pretty good Lord.

Yea, I suppose that's true

I suppose you can argue he was a bad Hand because of how things turned out. 

Word

Yep, I didn't remember that. 

Me either. I genuinely thought he never wrote Theon.

@Nagini's Neville Hugor here has inspired me to dream higher! From now on I will identify as an orange rather than an onion.

Woah! Thats pretty high lol

Oranges are better right? They don't make people cry. 

There is no better or worse, its like that expression, your comparing Apples to Onions

2 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Jon. The one he sent to the Wall. He wasnt actually a bad uncle to Robert, defending his rights to his wardenship and what not

He did not send him there, Jon went on his volition even after he was warned by Benjen and he stayed there for Cat.

On 1/14/2020 at 3:02 PM, DR Supporter said:

Is it just me, or are the Starks on the receiving end of every possible worst thing that could happen?

Let's have a rundown:

- One was beheaded
- Three were stabbed to death
- One is dead in a metaphorical sense
- One is crippled for life
- One had her throat slit

The only one who is still alive and relatively unharmed is Rickon.

Seriously, give them a break.

The parents dying is a trope that helps tell the kids story. 

Why should I sympathise for Ned Stark more than the deserter whose head he cut off in the beginning for no reason? Is that person less human? 

Rob could have done with a worse ending. Maybe falling into a latrine and drowning under the weight of his own plate armour. Instead he gets the Caesar death which turns him into a martyr.

Cat is the only one who has a truly brutal death. 

I do not think any of the other Starks will die. Rickon is not even a character. The Starks have had it easy in the death department. They do not deserve a break.

The worst death is all the people the Mountain has killed. Only we don’t get their stories so they’re not considered as important as this family of landowners.

@Tyrion1991 You can't compare the deserter to Ned. Though, we should feel bad for the guy, he was only in one chapter, whereas Ned has the most POV chapters in AGOT. We know his fears and wants. On top of that all of his POV children are devastated because of his death. Of course we will sympathize with Ned's death more. It has nothing to do with being a Lord or a commoner. 

2 hours ago, Elegant Woes said:

@Tyrion1991 You can't compare the deserter to Ned. Though, we should feel bad for the guy, he was only in one chapter, whereas Ned has the most POV chapters in AGOT. We know his fears and wants. On top of that all of his POV children are devastated because of his death. Of course we will sympathize with Ned's death more. It has nothing to do with being a Lord or a commoner. 

You’re right. Killing the deserter rather than heed his warning of the apocalypse is a far greater crime. Potentially dooming the North to genocide. Neds death as some pretentious and arrogant landowner means far less. 

His feelings are not more important than anyone else’s. How many orphaned children were made because he wanted revenge for somebody pushing his boy out a window? House Stark are not the only family suffering and it’s their own fault. 

The Starks do not care about the consequences of their actions, much less take responsibility for them. All of them would gladly hurl half of Westeros to the slaughterhouse if won them their revenge. These people  are cannibals who warg into their wolves and hunt the small folk for fun; or who warg into their small folk when it suits them. These are not the actions of good people. They deserve far worse than what fate has hurled at them. That pressure is only making them show their true nature.

@Tyrion1991 I don't think you get what I am saying. From the in world perspective of course no person is more important than the other. We are supposed to care about the humanity of small folk. The Starks aren't supposed to be seen as something special compared to other. 

However I am talking about from a writing & reading perspective. You cannot blame OP for caring about the Starks a bit more than other characters. Almost half of all the POV chapters is focused on the Starks. It's not hard to root for them more. 

16 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Thats true to a degree I think. I dont flat out think that good intentions equals good parenting, Lysa would be a good example of that. But I agree that it means something, as opposed to those with selfish interests in regards to their children like Doran or Tywin.

For sure, some of the worst plans are laid with good intentions. 

16 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

I just wish he prepared Sansa better then how he did. Especially when he was giving her to Cersei. (Which I don't immediately blame him for, especially since Cats the one who convinced Ned that declining Joffs hand would be detrimental for Stark, which I agree with. However after Cersei asked for Lady, I think that should be a deal breaker with Cersei and Joff. ) Sansas wellbeing was not Neds top priority, revenge for Jon Arryn was or saving Robert. The more and more I think about it he comes across with similar attributes to Doran.

Absolutely. I think he got consumed with what was going on with Jon Arryn & neglected his fatherly duties to Sansa. It's frustrating. 

17 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Not particularly bad, but I felt sorry for Cat. The whole Jon Snow issue drove her half mad. And when she finally built up the courage to ask about Ashara he scared her into silence. 

Its complicated because of Lyannas promise and honestly Jons life matters more then Cats happiness. But she was still miserable, so I feel bad.

Oh yeah, It had to be especially hard for Cat since by all other accounts Ned was a good man. It had to very hard for her to reconcile with the fact that he, not only fathered a bastard but then commanded her to not speak of it when she finally did ask. Like you said, we can understand why Ned did it but Cat didn't understand & it does invoke sympathy. 

Woah! Thats pretty high lol

Haha!

There is no better or worse, its like that expression, your comparing Apples to Onions

:lol:

16 hours ago, Tyrion1991 said:

You’re right. Killing the deserter rather than heed his warning of the apocalypse is a far greater crime. Potentially dooming the North to genocide. Neds death as some pretentious and arrogant landowner means far less. 

You're thinking of the show.  In the book, the deserter (Gared) didn't say anything at all.  So there was no warning for Ned to ignore.  Ned has no idea what is happening beyond the Wall.

His feelings are not more important than anyone else’s. How many orphaned children were made because he wanted revenge for somebody pushing his boy out a window? House Stark are not the only family suffering and it’s their own fault. 

I don't think there was much death because of this.  Obviously, they wanted justice for whoever tried to kill their child, but so would just about any parent.  So, they are no different than anyone else.

The Starks do not care about the consequences of their actions, much less take responsibility for them. All of them would gladly hurl half of Westeros to the slaughterhouse if won them their revenge. These people  are cannibals who warg into their wolves and hunt the small folk for fun; or who warg into their small folk when it suits them. These are not the actions of good people. They deserve far worse than what fate has hurled at them. That pressure is only making them show their true nature.

I've absolutely no idea what you are talking about here..  In fact, I don't think I have seen so much blatant nonsense in one paragraph in quite some time.

32 minutes ago, Nevets said:

You're thinking of the show.  In the book, the deserter (Gared) didn't say anything at all.  So there was no warning for Ned to ignore.  Ned has no idea what is happening beyond the Wall.

The gist of the conversation is that Ned wrote off whatever he was saying as the ramblings of a madman.

"He was the fourth this year," Ned said grimly. "The poor man was half-mad. Something had put a fear in him so deep that my words could not reach him." He sighed. "Ben writes that the strength of the Night's Watch is down below a thousand. It's not only desertions. They are losing men on rangings as well."

"Is it the wildlings?" she asked.
"Who else?" Ned lifted Ice, looked down the cool steel length of it. "And it will only grow worse.

At the very least he is aware that something is afoot and will need his help. In fairness to Ned other things take priority, and he soon forgets about the dangers beyond the Wall, or at least puts them on hold.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Miguelito Loveless said:

The Starks . . . . . . . . . . . . . . are Shitheads. That's the number one reason why they lost the north and Winterfell.  :ack:

Cat kidnaps Tywin Lannister's son, Sansa can't keep her trap shut, Robb can't keep his word, and Jon can't mind his own business. 

Yes, as opposed to the noble Tywin who sets the riverlands aflame, Cersei & Joffrey who are not only holding the throne by deception but also behead a man for trying to right that wrong, the holy Walder Frey who slaughtered a group of people over a slight & let us not forget the wonderful, flaying, torturing, sick, sadistic Ramsay whose power in holding WF is not only based on a lie but also he isn't deserving of any wife, let alone Arya. 

On 1/23/2020 at 7:22 AM, Tyrion1991 said:

And this destructive mindset is present in little Arya Stark and Lady Stoneheart.  They are just as responsible for the mess in Westeros as are the Lannisters and the Greyjoys.  

6 hours ago, Dr. Miguelito Loveless said:

The Starks . . . . . . . . . . . . . . are Shitheads. That's the number one reason why they lost the north and Winterfell.  :ack:

Cat kidnaps Tywin Lannister's son, Sansa can't keep her trap shut, Robb can't keep his word, and Jon can't mind his own business. 

They are indeed.  :D:D:D

Some of the posts here are just so... loaded w/ vicious hatred it’s scary. And then on top of the hatred, there’s posts chockablock full of inaccuracies and made up shit fan fic. I can’t even. I mean, Starks warging into wolves and hunting down the small folk? :lol:

The thing is, these haters make it so bloody easy it’s not even funny. 

9 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Some of the posts here are just so... loaded w/ vicious hatred it’s scary. And then on top of the hatred, there’s posts chockablock full of inaccuracies and made up shit fan fic. I can’t even. I mean, Starks warging into wolves and hunting down the small folk? :lol:

The thing is, these haters make it so bloody easy it’s not even funny. 

And the hilarious part is that these posts are coming from Lannister and Targ stans. Lets consider the source here.

Archived