The Outsider HBO

Charlie Hustle

Book spoilers 

Spoiler

The book, strangely enough, reminded me of the movie Jeepers Creepers. Very tense and creepy at the beginning but that factor totally disappears when you realise what you’re dealing with. I’d have loved it if they’d continued with the impossible crime thing right through the court case leaving the monster reveal until the end. But I guess that’s not King’s forte.

I will definitely watch this when they’ve dropped more episodes. Looks interesting what they’ve done with it.

5 hours ago, john said:

Book spoilers 

Reveal hidden contents

The book, strangely enough, reminded me of the movie Jeepers Creepers. Very tense and creepy at the beginning but that factor totally disappears when you realise what you’re dealing with. I’d have loved it if they’d continued with the impossible crime thing right through the court case leaving the monster reveal until the end. But I guess that’s not King’s forte.

I will definitely watch this when they’ve dropped more episodes. Looks interesting what they’ve done with it.

Spoiler

That’s generally how I felt about the book too. The first half, or so, is intense and compelling because of the mystery, and it kinda falters some down the stretch. Overall I did enjoy it though.

Am I the only one who thought there were alternate universe shenanigans going on cause of the GBI agents? But then I googled and realized it's just the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. For a bit there I figured evil murderer coach came from our universe into the shows. 

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Am I the only one who thought there were alternate universe shenanigans going on cause of the GBI agents? But then I googled and realized it's just the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. For a bit there I figured evil murderer coach came from our universe into the shows. 

I wasn't thinking that before, but now...

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

OK, I have to ask: Do Georgians not have a type of southern accent one might expect from that part of the country? Because I'm not hearing anything in this show.

There are definitely accents in more rural areas, but as I understand it the fictional Cherokee City is supposed to be relatively near to Atlanta, and the Atlanta metro area has had increasingly softened accents due to people from all over the country moving there and influencing things.

For example, here's a lady who definitely has a distinct accent, who has been there since the 60s, who remarks that other people (and probably younger ones) from Atlanta who posted accent videos seemed to have much less of a Southern accent than her:

That said, if the show has 0 characters with a Southern accent at all, that's probably not quite realistic. Have yet to start watching it.

Very engrossing, I'm really enjoying it so far.

One thought:

Spoiler

Casting Bateman and then killing him off in the second episode makes me suspicious that he won't be coming back later on. Why cast someone so big to then discard him. Is there a time travel thing going on here? Some sort of alternate universe, interstellar shit!?

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Very engrossing, I'm really enjoying it so far.

One thought:

Reveal hidden contents

Casting Bateman and then killing him off in the second episode makes me suspicious that he won't be coming back later on. Why cast someone so big to then discard him. Is there a time travel thing going on here? Some sort of alternate universe, interstellar shit!?

Spoiler

IMDB lists him as being in 9 episodes, but not sure if they are just including the cctv footage and flashbacks. He's also directing and producing, so maybe his screen time is limited due to his extra duties on the series?

Holly Gibney is a welcome inclusion to the story. Great character and excellent guide into the supernatural aspect of the show. Apparently she's also a character in King's Mr. Mercedes

So, does Jack become more or less of an asshole now?

Episode 3 not quite as strong as the opening two but it's still intriguing with some really nice framed shots. I particularly enjoyed the scene with the cops at the station where it started outside the station and gradually zoomed in. In general the show seems to prefer long distance shots for most of the conversations giving it a distinct feel.

11 hours ago, Astromech said:
  Hide contents

IMDB lists him as being in 9 episodes, but not sure if they are just including the cctv footage and flashbacks. He's also directing and producing, so maybe his screen time is limited due to his extra duties on the series?

Holly Gibney is a welcome inclusion to the story. Great character and excellent guide into the supernatural aspect of the show. Apparently she's also a character in King's Mr. Mercedes

Yeah, they recently adapted that trilogy on some streaming service I'd never heard of called Audience. A different actress played her though. 

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, they recently adapted that trilogy on some streaming service I'd never heard of called Audience. A different actress played her though. 

Speaking of that actress, I like her a lot. She was great in Bad Times at the El Royale. Don’t think I’ve seen her in anything else. 

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

I didn't know Audience was streaming? I have DirecTV and it's on there.

I liked this episode, I think it felt a little weaker to me because now I know it's a supernatural show more than a detective one if that makes sense to anyone but me?

It would have been nice if they had thought to ask the little girl what mean things the man was saying to her, why he was trying to make her cry.

This to me made no sense

Spoiler

When the prisoner got moved next to the child killer(who is obviously innocent), he used something to cut open his leg and pull out a shank. Why not just use whatever you used to cut your leg open as the weapon? Also, if there is enough of a set up to have a guard let you out and open the other cell then you could also just move into your new bunk with a shank since they were in on it. That whole sequence downgraded the episode for me. The ending of this scene helped save it for me, I didn't expect him to kill himself! 

Spoiler

So, is old dad wanted in questioning for the missing girls? At first I thought old dad was going to be old version of Batemans character and that was the real reason the rest of the family didn't come to visit, because they don't know this person exists, but no.

9 hours ago, dbunting said:

I liked this episode, I think it felt a little weaker to me because now I know it's a supernatural show more than a detective one if that makes sense to anyone but me?

It would have been nice if they had thought to ask the little girl what mean things the man was saying to her, why he was trying to make her cry.

This to me made no sense

Hide contents

When the prisoner got moved next to the child killer(who is obviously innocent), he used something to cut open his leg and pull out a shank. Why not just use whatever you used to cut your leg open as the weapon? Also, if there is enough of a set up to have a guard let you out and open the other cell then you could also just move into your new bunk with a shank since they were in on it. That whole sequence downgraded the episode for me. The ending of this scene helped save it for me, I didn't expect him to kill himself! 

Hide contents

So, is old dad wanted in questioning for the missing girls? At first I thought old dad was going to be old version of Batemans character and that was the real reason the rest of the family didn't come to visit, because they don't know this person exists, but no.

I get what you mean about it being a little less interested now it's obviously supernatural - this is something "messiah" has done better.

As to the end of the prison scene i saw it coming but found it funny given all the painful crap the other guy went through.

On 1/20/2020 at 7:33 PM, Nictarion said:

Speaking of that actress, I like her a lot. She was great in Bad Times at the El Royale. Don’t think I’ve seen her in anything else. 

Cynthia Erivo is nominated for a Best Actress Oscar for her portrayal of Harriet Tubman and Best Original Song (and could be the youngest EGOT holder ever should she win either). She won a Tony for her role in The Color Purple a few years ago. She was also in Widows.

Archived