The Outsider HBO

Charlie Hustle

9 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah that was understood by the end of the episode. Looking back at it though, it did feel rather anti climatic and from a viewers perspective there was little movement in the story, or new things to be learnt. 

I guess we may have expected more of a showdown than the toilet escape. I'm willing to let lack of overall story development slide if something is tense and I found the entire car journey up to the escape pretty well done.

7 hours ago, Gronzag said:

The length of at least 3 whole episodes could have been cut from the show, without losing anything. Out of 7. That tells you a lot about the quality. 

That said, I can't argue that this may be a case of a film being the better format for an adaptation. Unless a lot happens in the final episodes I think this could have been condensed into a great 2.5 hour movie. Sometimes I think TV shows will naturally move back to the movie format as people always seem to be very sensitive about perceived "filler" material. I'm surprised Netflix hasn't played with the idea of releasing 2-3 movies of a given show every year. Maybe this is how they'll do the millarworld comic adaptations. I guess their cartoon shows are essentially that with Castlevania, Voltron and Dragon Prince clocking in at around 2.5 to 3 hours per season which is essentially a movie when binged.

I really haven’t felt the season to be slow, outside of this last episode. Even though there are elements I’m not totally in love with i still enjoy it.

There has been progression in the story and I don’t feel like it’s just wasting time like a lot of other shows. I don’t think you could cut out 3 episodes worth of content and still maintain quality 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I really haven’t felt the season to be slow, outside of this last episode. Even though there are elements I’m not totally in love with i still enjoy it.

There has been progression in the story and I don’t feel like it’s just wasting time like a lot of other shows. I don’t think you could cut out 3 episodes worth of content and still maintain quality 

Agree with you, this one episode has felt slow but that is it. Now if the next few are the same then yeah there is an issue. This episode was the teetering point, pushing the characters over to the supernatural side.  If you make this a 2-3 hour movie you will have another King book to movie translation that loses it's identity.

2-3 hour wouldnt do.. Waay too much to cover. Too many characters would have been left out. Couldnt see how Terry's family taking this, Ralph family, and the past victims. The book is perfectly between a box office movie and a tv series. Seeing that they had a couple of scenes filled in to stretch this. This could have been perfectly done within 5-6 episodes... 7 max.

Just now, Corvinus said:

Overall it was good, but I would say it was another slow burn, with a strong last third. I was very stressed about that kid.

Seriously what kid doesn't know not to follow a stranger in a mask into a cave. I was practically screaming at the tv.

It's one thing to show the aftermath of a horrible child murder of a character we don't know. But introducing us to the kid and his family first seemed really cruel when I thought he was gonna be horribly murdered and eaten.

Yeah, i was pissed at the parents who let their child venture off unsupervised. The teenage daughter, ok, she is smart enough to use common sense. But the little brother, no, he would never be more than arms reach. I have a 6th grade son, who is very nerdy, and he knows not to venture off. And my 2nd grade daughter will be holding my hands in a crowded establishment like that. No questions asked. Also that dude, would have got a good beatdown when i caught up with him...

Good episode, moved along pretty well. I have to say that the eating noises went on just a little bit too long for me, I was just about to fast forward when it stopped. Had same thoughts on the kid going to look at the map by himself. I guess they tried to justify it by having the parents tell us that they have been coming here for years and therefor feel comfortable?

Hmm, yeah I don’t feel like this was any great improvement. The scene at the cave festival was pretty good, quite tense I guess. 

But the show has pretty much revealed everything now, we have sort of seen the monster, we sort of know what it’s doing and what it wants. Unfortunately it’s not all that interesting a reveal or idea. It feels quite Kingish, and I always find that a turn off.
My interest in the show was at its peak at episode 2 because I was so hooked on what the answer to the killer would be. That the answer has proven to be a little silly and uninspiring is a big disappointment.

Really good. My immediate takeaway is that I really want fried chicken.

Also I love how they didn't cut to black on the gunshot. 

I think I'll like this show a lot more when I binge re-watch it years from now. 

I'm wondering, was the cave in story part of the creatures "origin story?" like it was one of the people stuck there starving to death and learned to feed first on children and then on grief and was the sole survivor? or did it just go their cause it's in Claude's head and that cave is the closest thing to a graveyard his family has? 

Edit: not a spoiler thread. 

15 hours ago, RumHam said:

Really good. My immediate takeaway is that I really want fried chicken.

Hide contents

Also I love how they didn't cut to black on the gunshot. 

I think I'll like this show a lot more when I binge re-watch it years from now. 

I'm wondering, was the cave in story part of the creatures "origin story?" like it was one of the people stuck there starving to death and learned to feed first on children and then on grief and was the sole survivor? or did it just go their cause it's in Claude's head and that cave is the closest thing to a graveyard his family has? 

Edit: not a spoiler thread. 

Spoiler

I was thinking the same thing, but maybe we are going to find out that the "ancient bear" that sharpened it's claws in there was actually the grief eater? I think your explanation about it being the grief center for his family makes more sense. During the show the farthest back they trace the thing is NYC so it isn't like it stays around the cave, as a home or anything. 

I'm still enjoying the show, it hasn't gone too far to the supernatural side for my tastes and there is only one episode left so I can deal with it when it does come. I really hope they stick the ending on this series, would be nice to have this finish well and not leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I enjoyed the last episode more than any I have in a while.

I think I put that down to the flashback cave stuff. Maybe what is missing in the show is a sense of scale and history, and the cave stuff added to that a little bit.

If I’m going to enjoy the El Cuco stuff then I need the show to go all in on it. I need some sort of supernatural entity that is old as time itself, scary as hell and is impossible to describe.

The cave stuff hinted at that, maybe El Cuco is a demon talked about by Indians.. Indian burial ground stuff. 

The problem with the show right now is that El Cuco is really not very intimidating. He’s just a guy with bad make up on, he needs a helper, we don’t know that you can’t just shoot him dead. 

It just reminds me of a lot of 90s tv shows and movies where the big bad is just some guy because of budget restraints and lack of imagination. 

But if they upped the scale and depth and made the whole thing more mysterious and unexplained then I’d probably like it a lot more.

The cave stuff also made me realise that this could be one show that could do with more non linear story telling, because right now it seems so white bread in the way it tells it’s story.

But apart from that..: enjoyed it more this week

The el cuco needs misery and grief to feed upon. Thats why the cave is the perfect setup for the last scene. A lot of people died at once in that cave, 50 years ago. Even Claude lost 4 family members in that event. Its not the origin of the thing, well, at least from the book perspective.

The fried chicken was an easter egg to the book. Which was an errand they sent him on. Very funny.

And yes, i like the fact that el cuco isnt a supernatural being like a vampire. It is very vulnerable, and is dependent on a source of food, and has to hunt for food to survive. Not an all powerful monster where someone needs an ouija board or blood magic to kill it. Just try to cut it off from food. 

Also, dont forget about that kid who was just found mutilated. I think this is a setup for season 2. Which I heard was confirmed. I think this is totally unrelated to this one particular entity.

The cave may also be an endgame for the people. Maybe they find out they can't kill it, so instead they blow up the entrances and seal it in.

As to a season 2, thinking I would not be happy about that. I guess if it was a different creature maybe I'd be ok with it, but hunting another cuco, no thanks.

And @Heartofice please please no more time jumping shows for a while! One flash back was ok, anymore and I start losing control from time line overload! WestWorld ruined me.

1 minute ago, dbunting said:

The cave may also be an endgame for the people. Maybe they find out they can't kill it, so instead they blow up the entrances and seal it in.

As to a season 2, thinking I would not be happy about that. I guess if it was a different creature maybe I'd be ok with it, but hunting another cuco, no thanks.

And @Heartofice please please no more time jumping shows for a while! One flash back was ok, anymore and I start losing control from time line overload! WestWorld ruined me.

Definitely the idea of a second season would annoy the hell out of me.  There needs to be a real conclusion this season ( my wife would kill me for making her watch it too)

Haha, I know what you mean about time jumps, WW is the worst for it. But now I’m back to watching good old linear storytelling it all feels a little flat

Decent episode with a nice build-up to the ending. Holly's boyfriend should be wearing a red coat at this point.

Please no sequel! Unless it's based on a new story. King's next release apparently has a Novella that's been hailed as "the sequel to outsider" but that could just be a sales trick or tenuous in that it's about holly's next case.

This has been one of the slowest shows I've watched (guess walking dead wins for sustaining no thing happening for years). If there's no resolution at the end I'm done.

The score in the show is really good. I loved how they mixed in a siren sound in the final scene it really added to the tension. It's similar to true detective season 3 which also had an excellent score

Archived