The Outsider HBO

Charlie Hustle

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Decent episode with a nice build-up to the ending. Holly's boyfriend should be wearing a red coat at this point.

While watching their last scene where he is all lovey dovey I was like, yeah you're dead already and just don't know it. 

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

While watching their last scene where he is all lovey dovey I was like, yeah you're dead already and just don't know it. 

It was painfully obvious. He might as well have said ‘ after this I’m going to retire and buy a farm somewhere out west’

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

It was painfully obvious. He might as well have said ‘ after this I’m going to retire and buy a farm somewhere out west’

Or they could have had sex, since sex in horror films equals death.

51 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Or they could have had sex, since sex in horror films equals death.

The kiss had to suffice. Which is odd for a HBO production.

54 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

:) Pretty much. At this point you have to hope they will subvert expectations as it will be laughable when he dies.

8 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Fantastic first half for the finale. The second half fizzled out somewhat, just letting us see the aftermath, and allowing for a potential 2nd season.

Agree. The beginning was pretty good but the ending seemed very anti climatic. El Cucu seemed too easy to kill, and maybe that was the point. I guess I am torn between it being too easy and them showing us that not every "monster" takes super human effort to defeat?

I did like the closure part of it, the aftermath part. Most times we don't get to see that.

I think I liked 9.9 out of the 10 episodes, pretty much everything up until just after the credits rolled.

Spoiler

Did not like the post credit scene. When did it get close enough to Holly to scratch her? When she stabbed it we saw it and the thing never moved. She knows exactly what that scratch means so why isn't she doing something about it? Was she wanting to preserve it?

6 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Agree. The beginning was pretty good but the ending seemed very anti climatic. El Cucu seemed too easy to kill, and maybe that was the point. I guess I am torn between it being too easy and them showing us that not every "monster" takes super human effort to defeat?

I did like the closure part of it, the aftermath part. Most times we don't get to see that.

I think I liked 9.9 out of the 10 episodes, pretty much everything up until just after the credits rolled.

Hide contents

Did not like the post credit scene. When did it get close enough to Holly to scratch her? When she stabbed it we saw it and the thing never moved. She knows exactly what that scratch means so why isn't she doing something about it? Was she wanting to preserve it?

Dammit, there was a post-credits scene?

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I also didn't think to say for the post-credits scene. Does it explain why Holly asked "Who's Terry?" 

No...but it's tied to it sort of

Spoiler

It shows her with her laptop and she googles the murder case he was involved in. The key from the scene is that she has a scratch on her right forearm. We all know the implications from that.

18 minutes ago, dbunting said:

No...but it's tied to it sort of

Hide contents

It shows her with her laptop and she googles the murder case he was involved in. The key from the scene is that she has a scratch on her right forearm. We all know the implications from that.

Weird because it seemed to be definitively dead. I was sure next season would be about the other creatures like him that they alluded to. Plus wouldn't she feel it in her head? I dunno it all seems strange. 

Minor thing but I wish they'd brought bateman back for a flashback to like the morning of his arrest that made clear that he also felt it gnawing at his mind and was just putting on a sunny exterior for his wife and kids. 

Well that sure went out with a whimper, but it was expected seeing as it's been a more or less downward hill since episode three.

Spoiler

I honestly don't understand why they wouldn't reveal the demon to the world.  Seems a lot more likely to work than the shit they pulled. I don't buy that no one would believe them. They had the corpse of it right there, bring it to some scientists and doctors and it's non-human nature would've been confirmed. It was alive even, allowing for even further examination, before the copper killed it with the rock (why that would do the trick and not getting blasted with a shotgun and stabbed in the chest is beyond me).

Grrrr

I’d describe it as anti climatic,  but for that to be true it would mean I was expecting something else. It was exactly what I expected after the last few episodes 

I feel like I’ve been conned into watching this show and I’m almost angry at myself for continuing till the end.

After the first two episodes what I thought I was getting was a tightly plotted hi brow thriller with supernatural elements.

What I actually got was a low brow Stephen King tv mini series that ramped up the Kingness to 11, and dialled down my interest. 

Im pretty annoyed at it right now, so need to go away and think, but I feel like everything that was set up from episodes 1 and 2 was basically thrown away, and a bunch of new elements added which were essentially all total bollocks. Ben Mendelson is an incredible actor and his character was interesting, but he got sidelined , instead we got Holly bloody Gibney and El Cuco.

El Cuco was just.. gah, so Stephen King TV movie. Just a small scale, unimaginative, silly, poorly written villain that wasn’t worth the effort  

As for that post credit scene... piss off 

Yeah I wasn't impressed either. I also expected the outsider to put up a bigger fight but it was also refreshing that the beast didn't have Marvel super strength. Its strength was its mask, and once that was gone it was weak. Credit to the writers for the accomplishment of the first two episodes, and keeping me coming back every week cause minus a couple good scenes, the last six episodes were a waste of time.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one disappointed in the way they wrapped it up and that post credit scene sucked ass.

Now, they couldn't reveal it to everyone because in reality the government would just step in and sweep it under the rug.

As to the post credit scene has anyone

Spoiler

Figured out how she got scratched? Was it when the cop turned his head and looked back and cucu had moved all the was across the cave? Holly knows it transfers by scratch and there is no way she doesn't know it scratched her so...

Spoiler

The fact that they didn’t even show how she could possibly have gotten scratched made that ending even worse. I looked but didn’t see a point where it could have happened, even during the cave fall, unless El Cuco is super quick or something.

Worse still with the post credit scene was revealing that Terry was exhonorated. I’d guess most people would have turned off by that point.

• 8 months later...

Archived