Christopher Tolkien Passes Away at 95

SpaceChampion

A great loss. I will forever be grateful for all of the work he has done with his father’s unpublished and unfinished work. His commentary was always fascinating to read. His loss will be keenly felt. May he go now to the fate/blessing that elves know not

That is sad. I've first read his Silmarillion (not his father's ;-)) at the age of 15 when I snuck the book out of the cabinet where my mother kept the birthday presents... It was a rather vivid experience to read it in secret. I remember starting with the stuff about the Third Age and, having had a German edition of LotR lacking most of the appendices, I literally had no clue about the FA back then.

But he lived a very long life and seemed to have had a lucid mind until the very end.

And I sure as hell hope for he has made sure that they cannot make any Silmarillion adaptations in my lifetime!

13 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Maybe I’m touchy today but he seemed to be implying Tolkien SR didn’t write The Silmarillion 

I meant that Christopher's version is, by default, not his father's since his father didn't complete it.

18 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I meant that Christopher's version is, by default, not his father's since his father didn't complete it.

He didn't himself write anything, and all the material is what his father wrote. 

But then it's a compilation of narratives, which is buest-guesswork. 

Thus why he has the Editor title?

Some material was not written by JRRT. But that's really not the place to discuss this. If you have to know, I dislike the fact that we got this Silmarillion thing before Christopher edited the History of Middle-earth (or rather - that he didn't change problematic issues left in the Sil text after he realized they were problematic).

But he most definitely did great work to keep his father's works in the public eye and ensure that it is not destroyed by some hacks wanting to adapt them.

Archived