Sign in to follow this  
Westeros

House of the Dragons Likely to Air 2022

Last night, the trades had word from the HBO’s session at the TCA Winter gathering, with executive Casey Bloys discussing the status of post-Game of Thrones successor shows and the fact that he expected House of the Dragons would not premiere before 2022.

Click for full-sized image

read on >>>

View the full article

I don't think he's being honest about why the Long Night pilot failed.

At the least, he sidesteps the core issue: he says House of the Dragon has more book material to be based on, with Fire & Blood, while Long Night had no prequel novellas.

...yeah, and you're the ones who said Long Night was a great idea for a prequel in the first place.  So now he's admitting this, after millions of dollars and months of production time were blown on a failed show pitch no one asked for.

> At the least, he sidesteps the core issue: he says House of the Dragon has more book material

> to be based on, with Fire & Blood, while Long Night had no prequel novellas

That is why :: film matter set in the Time of Heroes would have to be composed from scratch, but matter describing the early Targaryen kings can follow the book.

I hope that House of the Dragons starts not with the Dance of the Dragons, but at the proper beginning with Aegon I landing on Westeros, or even earlier showing the Targaryens still home on Valyria, andDaenys's dream starting it all off, and then the evacuation to Dragonstone.

And please do not kill off dragons (as I suspect is why Rhaegal died in the Game of Thrones movies) merely to save on CGI expenses. A dragon, or a human, can be kept alive but out of camera view and could come back later. And, thank the Seven for the Melisandre character, as a way to bring killed-off important characters back (but preferably sparingly).

I would like to see the Targaryen dynasty restored under Jon married to Daenerys; they would both be claimants to the throne;  both could reign at the same time as king and queen, as happened in Britain in the real world with William and Mary (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_and_Mary). Any fault in Daenerys's mental attitude could be cured and recovered from. And they could have plenty of children.

Another discovery of dragon eggs in Essos, this time genuinely from the far east, could get badly-needed fresh blood into the Westeros dragon breeding stock.

Edited by Anthony Appleyard

If House of the Dragons starts properly at the beginning, they should for example keep track of how big Balerion is at various times. I read that he is the youngest (and thus likely the smallest) of the 5 dragons that the Targaryens brought across from Valyria. "Even Balerion once rode on someone's shoulder." (i.e. when he was still a hatchling), it could be said, literally, and also to mean "Many things known of as being big, started off small".,

It's not going to be all of Fire & Blood, we're reasonably sure it's going to be the second half, covering the Dance of the Dragons - and thus after Balerion has died of old age.