Football: Better Call Raul

Raja

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Didn't Vardy retire from international football anyway? Also seem to recall Rodgers saying that Vardy does not intend to make a U turn on that decision.

Yeah, he has. There was a bit of talk from various pundits of trying to persuade him to come back after Kane’s injury but I don’t think Southgate’s ever said anything.

Kepa has been shit, as mentioned. I believe his transfer is still tops worldwide amongst keepers which is embarrassing. I'd like to cut ties and move on from him. Not sure how long Tammy will be out but the Cavani buzz has me interested. Giroud is likely gone and Michy is what he is. Good for a random goal every so often but nothing consistent. The cross he muffed yesterday was bad. Thinking out loud, and this could be ludicrous, but I wonder about Kante. He'll be 29 in March and has been out with injury this season more than he's played. He's still likely to command a king's ransom and I'd hate to see him do the Eriksen/Spurs thing and walk for nothing. 

In regards to our form, pretty much shit. If you were to tell me in August we'd be in 4th by 6 points and advanced out of the group in CL, I'd be pleased, but knowing our record over the past month and a half, it's frustrating. Bournemouth, West Ham and Southampton at home, and Everton (in relegation zone at the time we played them) and Newcastle on the road have been brutal losses. February is rough for us too. Leicester, United, and Spurs could make or break our top 4 run. Also throw Bayern in there for CL. Could be an ugly couple months for us. I'm becoming more a fan of this Cavani thing with each passing day. We need the help.

ETA: In regards to the brief Grealish talk earlier, any reason he hasn't featured for England yet? I don't watch much AV, but every time I see highlights or the boxscore it seems like he's doing something meaningful. He's 24 and no caps.

2 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

ETA: In regards to the brief Grealish talk earlier, any reason he hasn't featured for England yet? I don't watch much AV, but every time I see highlights or the boxscore it seems like he's doing something meaningful. He's 24 and no caps.

Until this season he had played most of his football in the Championship.  He was loyal to Villa but playing second tier football won’t get anyone into the England squad (although fine for the Irish squad).  And then the international games before Christmas came too early for him to have shown consistency yet at the PL level.  I’d say his performances this season are putting him in contention for a call-up, especially with the likes of Lingard and Barkley struggling for form, and Kane, RLC & Rashford injured, and Ox has not yet had a run of games since his injury.  Southgate will have to decide how much he wants to risk unfamiliar players in a squad that has been pretty successful for the past 2-3 years.  Injuries will force his hand, but poor form should too. 

Grealish plays an unusual role for Villa and gets a lot more of the ball than he would for England or any top club.  So it remains to be seen whether he can play as a #8 ahead of Henderson or Rice.  And would he start ahead of Maddison?  Assuming Sterling and Sancho have the forward positions locked down.  Plus Alli has rediscovered his form lately, and has more experience at this level.  England don’t play with a free #10 anymore, so both Grealish and Maddison could be difficult to accommodate despite being two of the best young English players. 

19 hours ago, Mexal said:

I'm totally fine losing Xhaka. He's been fine, but the position can be upgraded and a true B2B midfielder next to Torreira would strengthen the midfield.

If there's a better fit for the team, then yeah, I'm totally fine with us spending money on that. But I think at least for next season, I'd prefer he sticks around ( Unless the club thinks that Willock or Guendouzi can step up in a big way, but I don't really trust either of them as a 6, and they're not good enough to be an 8)

So if Vardy and Abraham were to miss a significant number of games, that would be all the teams (except for Arsenal) hoping to grab one of the two CL spots without their main goal scorers.

I mean.

Kane (Spurs) is injured. So is Rashford (United).

Anyway, I still stick with Leicester and Chelsea to finish third and fourth.

On 1/22/2020 at 8:09 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Maguire only seems bad because of the price. 80m is about the going rate for someone like him now. It's not his fault VVD should have cost 200 million.  

Only in the EPL, where money is not an issue. I mean isn't United prepared to throw like 30m at Birmingham for a 16 y.o. talent from the Championship (Bellingham (?)).

So of course if you apply those prices, then VVD will be worth 500m before too long.

14 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

And would he start ahead of Maddison?  Assuming Sterling and Sancho have the forward positions locked down.  Plus Alli has rediscovered his form lately, and has more experience at this level.  England don’t play with a free #10 anymore, so both Grealish and Maddison could be difficult to accommodate despite being two of the best young English players. 

Thing is, that's a lot less of a problem for Grealish than Alli or Maddison - he's not a straight no10 for preference, although he's obviously played there. Alli isn't a traditional one either, of course, but he's more reliant on being  pushed up close to the forwards.

Yes, it's true that it's not uncommon for a star at a small team to not live up to expectations once he's not the focus, but even though he won't get as much of the ball I don't think that's a real danger for Grealish. Like, whether he's world class remains to be seen, but his preferred role is to drop deep, get the ball and run it up the pitch before laying it off and trying to get on the cross, I don't think he'll get less effective for not having to cover both wings and the striker role too.

Despite the stupid hair and the occasional similarity in how they move with the ball, he's not actually all that similar a player to Maddison, who is much more of a traditional trequartista.

Pretty poor in general from Liverpool so far. Set-piece goal aside, we've barely created anything.

Firmino's misplacing the majority of his passes, Wijnaldum is killing the momentum of every move that goes near him, Mane looked out of sorts again (now off injured. Hopefully nothing too serious.) and Gomez has been getting bullied by Jimenez.

Wolves look the more dangerous team, especially Traore.

Archived