Football: Better Call Raul

Raja

70 points, and 19 clear of Pep’s City, in January.  It’s a bit ridiculous really.

Fabinho needs to find his match sharpness.  He’s a liability right now.  Salah and Firmino were right on their games tonight, which helped mask Origi being poor (again) and Ox being a bit below the standard — although he took his goal well.  Nice to see Keita back.  Hopefully he can stay healthy this time. 

Next up is Southampton, who are in very good form.  And then the break for the players. 

It's so amazing that we're almost two thirds of the season in, and Liverpool literally could not be closer to having a perfect record without, y'know, actually having one. 23 wins and 1 draw from 24 games. 

Once the title's wrapped up, there will inevitably be a slacking of pace but it'll be a long, long time before we see again a team achieve this sort of amazing ability to just keep on winning. 

I think I read somewhere they need 23 points from 14 matches if City win every game.  If you are going to not win the title for 30 years, the year you do win you should do it in style.

Winding down once the job is done could affect their Champions League defence.

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I think I read somewhere they need 23 points from 14 matches if City win every game.

24, to be pedantic. 23 would leave it dependent on goal difference. To put it in perspective, though, that means Liverpool can't drop more than 18 points: but they've only dropped 19 since the beginning of the 2018-19 season. That was 62 games ago.

2 minutes ago, mormont said:

24, to be pedantic. 23 would leave it dependent on goal difference.

If it actually ends up level on points then there's no way Liverpool will have a better goal difference than City so it's 24 points needed at the moment.

Fernandes has signed for United. Apparently for £47 million potentially rising to about £68 million. 

On 1/30/2020 at 1:49 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Winding down once the job is done could affect their Champions League defence.

You just described Bayern under Guardiola. Dominated the league, wrapped up in March and couldn't find the on switch for the CL games.

4 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Saw some online reports that Jermaine Jenas will replace Gary Lineker on MOTD.

Ugh...Jenas is a knobhead.I quite liked watching MOTD with Gary hosting.

I used to think Lineker was bland, but he’s very watchable. Jenas is about as bland as they come, honestly I have no idea why he gets to much air time. He doesn’t give great tactical insight and isn’t outspoken on anything. 

With the BBC in the state it is, maybe it’s just that he’s cheaper!

4 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Saw some online reports that Jermaine Jenas will replace Gary Lineker on MOTD.

Ugh...Jenas is a knobhead.I quite liked watching MOTD with Gary hosting.

Jenas is a rare example of a pundit who has got worse as he does more. He was OK to start with, but has descended into parroting cliches and agreeing with Shearer and (ugh) Danny Mills. Unless the BBC think he has more potential, this isn't great.

21 minutes ago, mormont said:

Jenas is a rare example of a pundit who has got worse as he does more. He was OK to start with, but has descended into parroting cliches and agreeing with Shearer and (ugh) Danny Mills. Unless the BBC think he has more potential, this isn't great.

Agreed.

I think there have been a few pundits who've started off pretty well in recent years because they did their homework and put an effort in and then they've tapered off as they've become more comfortable. I thought Alex Scott started off really well and she's gone downhill a bit. She's still better than Jenas though to be fair.

Archived