Football: Better Call Raul

Raja

Well done to the Liverpool kids.  That’s more of an u-18/u-19 team than u-23, but they did themselves proud again.  It sounds like they dominated most of the match, despite Shrewsbury kicking lumps out of them again.  Curtis Jones needs to stop over-playing though. Neco Williams probably gained the most in reputation from these games, but Jones, Chirivella and Elliott all did well throughout the cups so far, and Sepp VDB did well tonight after previously not looking ready for this level.

Great too that the fans turned out in big numbers to support the kids, knowing that the senior players and the coaching squad wouldn’t be there. 

On 1/24/2020 at 9:49 AM, ljkeane said:

Just going back to this. Southgate's almost certainly going to play 4-3-3 and I think the likelihood is he's going to try to be Liverpool lite with a pacy, somewhat interchangeable front 3 and creativity from the fullbacks. That requires the midfield 3 to do quite a lot of work covering for the fullbacks, like Liverpool do, and probably rules out Maddison from being part of plan A. Grealish would be a better bet but you're probably looking at only one of him, Alli or Oxlade-Chamberlain making the starting team.

ETA: Or theoretically one of Mount or Foden too I suppose.

Also going back to this, but if you're playing 4-3-3 is Ali really good enough to play as one of the central 3?  I wouldn't have thought his work rate is high enough, or his defensive side.  When Liverpool play that combination, all 3 of the central midfielders are either defensive and/or work their arses off. Not that they don't necessarily have an attacking element as well.  

Henderson has one spot, and Rice has played the last few games in that area as well.  

58 minutes ago, ants said:

Also going back to this, but if you're playing 4-3-3 is Ali really good enough to play as one of the central 3?  I wouldn't have thought his work rate is high enough, or his defensive side.  When Liverpool play that combination, all 3 of the central midfielders are either defensive and/or work their arses off. Not that they don't necessarily have an attacking element as well.  

Henderson has one spot, and Rice has played the last few games in that area as well.  

Dele Alli wouldn’t be a great fit in a central 3 because really he’s more of a striker than a midfielder. His best games he’s played just off Kane, using his energy and tenacity to smash goals in. Other than that, I’m not sure what else he offers and I don’t think he has the defensive skills to play in a conservative Klopp style 3.

If England did play that system then who plays the Firm role up top? Kane is obvious best for the role but will he even be fit by the summer? Then you have players like Rashford or Abraham, even Ings or Calvert Lewin being mentioned. But none of them play the same way and are mostly more classical goalscorers.

25 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Dele Alli wouldn’t be a great fit in a central 3 because really he’s more of a striker than a midfielder. His best games he’s played just off Kane, using his energy and tenacity to smash goals in. Other than that, I’m not sure what else he offers and I don’t think he has the defensive skills to play in a conservative Klopp style 3.

If England did play that system then who plays the Firm role up top? Kane is obvious best for the role but will he even be fit by the summer? Then you have players like Rashford or Abraham, even Ings or Calvert Lewin being mentioned. But none of them play the same way and are mostly more classical goalscorers.

SSN saying Kane will probably return for last 2 games of season. Though whether that means he is lacking sharpness/fresh and ready to go we will have to wait and find out. 

2 hours ago, ants said:

Alli has played plenty of times in a midfield three under Pochettino, another aggressive pressing system, and one of his better attributes is winning the ball back. I think he'd be fine.

Rice has been pretty rubbish for a while now. I think it's probably going to be Henderson, Winks and one other.

40 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Alli has played plenty of times in a midfield three under Pochettino, another aggressive pressing system, and one of his better attributes is winning the ball back. I think he'd be fine.

Rice has been pretty rubbish for a while now. I think it's probably going to be Henderson, Winks and one other.

He did play in a 3 for sure but I don’t think that was him at his best, he’s much better suited further forward. I’d prefer a player in the 3 who was better at bringing the ball forward , a real box to box player which I don’t think Alli is all that great at being 

Archived