Football: Better Call Raul

Raja

So, Dortmund still can't defend even if their life depended upon in.

They scored 3 (no Haaland goal, as he had relatively quiet game as far as that was possible in that game) against Leverkusen, but they also conceded 4.

Premier League’s new chief says Netflix-style overseas service is on cards

The Premier League will eventually sell matches on a Netflix-style channel, its new chief executive, Richard Masters, has said. Masters confirmed that the Premier League had considered launching its own digital service – streaming live games and other content directly – in some countries during the TV bidding process for the 2019-22 seasons.

He confirmed such an option – which would allow the Premier League to charge directly for a “Premflix”channel rather than sell the rights to TV companies – was on the table for the 2022-25 seasons.

“During the last process we spent quite a lot of time and invested a lot of recourse in building out our expertise and capacity in ‘direct consumer’,” said Masters. “We considered whether it would be the right time to test a few markets and decided not to. But we are going to continue for the planning phase in the next commercial term to build out those capabilities.”

He added: “We were ready last time and we will be ready next time should the opportunity arise.”

The Premier League makes £3.1bn a year from TV rights, of which £1.4bn comes from foreign buyers. However, launching its own streaming service in some territories could lead to substantial rises in revenue. In Singapore, Singtel pays £70m a season to the Premier League, yet it makes £175m a year from subscribers who pay around £35 a month for live games. If the Premier League kept these TV rights for itself it could potentially make another £100m in Singapore alone.

Another problem facing Masters is how many foreigners Premier League clubs will be allowed in their 25-man squads after Brexit. Clubs are permitted to have 17 non-homegrown players but the Football Association wants this reduced to 13. Masters believes that anything less than 16 foreigners could damage the league’s standing, as well as the competitiveness of English clubs in Europe.

13 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Yeah I heard about this and I think it is the option that makes the most sense for the viewer. The splitting of Premier League games across multiple bidders has been a bit of a disaster really I think. I'd rather be able to have access to all the games I want to watch with one provider. I don't want to hunt around multiple providers in the hope I can watch what I want. 

However, from what I read there it seems this will probably not apply to the UK just yet? I'm guessing they make far too much money off of BT and Sky to do away with that model. 

An apology to Mr Sullivan and Mr Gold

Really enjoyed this little dig at the West Ham owners. If you don't know what this is in reference to, I think it's about Gold and Sullivan trying to crack down on stories that paint them out to be incompetent.. even if that is factually accurate. In particular they forced Sky Sports into making a grovelling apology after West Ham were heavily criticised on one of their shows. It's utterly baffling. 

On 2/8/2020 at 2:43 PM, Raja said:

Feel like Pickford makes a mistake every other week :mellow:

I'm a bit worried that he's so clearly number one (club and country, though the latter may change) that he isn't 100% focused - he switches off at times.

So you can get clangers like that (his biggest so far, IMO) and saves like the point blank Benteke header. He's capable of the latter, but his game doesn't really leave room for the former.

In a way, he reminds me of Joe Hart (very differing styles, mind) - good early, great promise, secure position, and just let his standards drop for some reason.

ETA: However, no reason to just complain these days. DCL is up to 11 league goals this season. That's miles better than what I expected from him. And Mason Holgate (even if he didn't play yesterday) has stepped up this season as well.

13 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

FFS.

I just want this season to be over, and somehow stay in the league.

That was me back in November. 

Then we sacked Silva, had Ferguson hug ballboys and hired Ancelotti. 

Things are better now. But please don't hire Ancelotti.

We lack the money for Ancelotti, so you are safe safe there (at least as far as we are concerned).

Besides, we have changed our headcoach more often than United or Arsenal during the past few years. So I doubt there's really much to be gained by hiring another one just to sack him at some point next year.

Time for a bit of the rumour mill.

Liverpool are rumoredly still interested in Werner. No idea, whether he has changed his mind about playing second fiddle to the established front three. I somehow doubt that.

Bayern: Rumoredly United were interested in Tolisso. They enquired about 6 months loan. Bayern refused, because they felt their own squad lacked sufficient depth (I wouldn't necessarily share that assessment, as their central midfield feels rather overloaded).

However Tolisso has thus far not really been convincing, and Bayern are very keen on signing Havertz next season. They'd like to generate some cash for that move however, so Tolisso is one of the potential sales to generate at least a part for the hefty fee. Long story short, he has until the end of the season to show why he should remain at Bayern.

Similar story with Thiago (which is a bit surprising to me). They'd like to see more from him in the big CL games. Otherwise he could be out of the door too.

Coutinho will (as of right now) not be bought, and he'll be back on his way to Barca, unless he improves damatically. His performances thus far have simply not justified triggering the clause to buy.

Still on high on their shopping list: Sane. While his injury stopped Bayern from making a serious bid for him, that can/and likely will change next season.

So the next transfer window could become quite expensive for Bayern if they really want to get their preferred targets.

Good.

However, the Sheikh is going to activate his army of lawyers against Uefa. Hopefully the ban sticks though because City Football Group have taken the piss. Man City's books are thoroughly cooked. 

If the ban sticks, Guardiola will be gone. No way he sticks around without CL football. 

Archived