Football: Better Call Raul

Raja

2 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Well Traore's shoulder certainly didn't appreciate Maguire yanking on it constantly whenever he was near him.

Until Traore moves to Liverpool he'll have to learn to deal with perfectly legal challenges. In fairness to him he did dislocate it and carry on which makes him a badass but if it popped out from that there almost has to be some underlying issue because Maguire's approach was fine.

1 minute ago, Soylent Brown said:

but his job was made easier because United had him stay deep on him, so he could snatch the ball away from him before he got going more often than not.

I'm not sure why that's less impressive though? That's not easy to do to Traore in any case since he accelerates so fast and having been given that role he did it excellently. He also wasn't purely defensive, got on the ball plenty in the final third or so.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Until Traore moves to Liverpool he'll have to learn to deal with perfectly legal challenges. In fairness to him he did dislocate it and carry on which makes him a badass but if it popped out from that there almost has to be some underlying issue because Maguire's approach was fine.

I'm not sure why that's less impressive though? That's not easy to do to Traore in any case since he accelerates so fast and having been given that role he did it excellently. He also wasn't purely defensive, got on the ball plenty in the final third or so.

Maguire was fouling him, it's just that those kind of fouls get ignored constantly.

Yeah, not trying to have a go at Shaw, just saying that it's much better to deal with Traore before he gets going on the ball, so conservative tactics help

I hope we don't play Wolves again this season. Every game against them has been a snoozefest. Didn't expect any more than a point today. Pereira is a total liability playing in midfield (he's wank in his preferred position too). At least Fred has been in good form because he was man alone in the midfield again. Bruno had a decent debut but being surrounded by dross in the form of Pereira and Mata as well as an anonymous Martial meant that much of his positive play didn't amount to much.

Shaw did a good defensive job on Traore - we have managed to keep Traore relatively quiet in all four games but that came at the expense of playing our fullbacks very conservatively. Our fullbacks generally (apart from Williams) play too conservatively for the modern game which does limit our attack. 

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Bit inflated by the fact that Dortmund haven't played any of the better teams just yet.

Augsburg (9th place currently) was the best teams he faced off against. Union is only really competitive at home. When they have to travel, they've not been anywhere near as gritty and nasty to play. And Köln are in the midst of the relegation battle for obvious reasons.

I mean, come on. If he was playing the blind school that's still pretty impressive. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

What was the fee in the end? Wasn't it peanuts? 

It was a €20m release clause although there have been reports that his father and Raiola were paid more than the transfer fee (€10m and €15m respectively). Raiola also apparently insisted that a release clause be included in his contract - there have been reports, albeit not the most reliable sources, claiming that the clause could be as low as £63m (and some claiming it to be as low as €60m) and comes into effect in 2022. 

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I mean, come on. If he was playing the blind school that's still pretty impressive. 

Definately. Without wanting to take anything away from him, but it wasn't the toughest fixture list to get started.

So I am curious how he'll do against objectively stronger teams (like Bayern (obviously), Leipzig, Leverkusen, Gladbach or even Hoffenheim), who are more like going into games with the idea that they might leave with three points, and thus can do a bit more with the ball themselves.

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

It was a €20m release clause although there have been reports that his father and Raiola were paid more than the transfer fee (€10m and €15m respectively). Raiola also apparently insisted that a release clause be included in his contract - there have been reports, albeit not the most reliable sources, claiming that the clause could be as low as £63m (and some claiming it to be as low as €60m) and comes in effect in 2022.  

Release clause is there.

Raiola wanted it to be 50m €, which was way too low for Dortmund's liking. They settled for a release fee of 70-75m € reportedly.

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Release clause is there.

Raiola wanted it to be 50m €, which was way too low for Dortmund's liking. They settled for a release fee of 70-75m € reportedly.

That will result in a decent enough profit for Dortmund but is still quite low especially if Haaland continues to progress and also considering how inflated the transfer market has become and is likely to stay for a while yet. Sancho for instance will go for more than €120m (probably closer to €140 or €150m).

Couldn't see the game because of the "only one game allowed"-rule, which I hate. Completely, utterly and probably excessively. 

That means two things today - I didn't have to watch us being complete crap for 45 minutes, which is good, and I didn't see us come back from two goals down to win for the first time in (according to twitter) six years. Which isn't good. 

Still, it only took Ancelotti three tries to fall behind in the league and come back to win. Silva never managed that, so there may be something to this Ancelotti charchter after all. 

10 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Sancho for instance will go for more than €120m (probably closer to €140 or €150m).

Yeah and it shouldn't be forgotten in all the rightful excitement around Haaland that Sancho has gotten at least a goal and an assist in seven of his last eight games and at least one of either in ten of his last eleven.

34 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

as well as an anonymous Martial meant that much of his positive play didn't amount to much.

Martial and James are a bad partnership. Martial actually held the ball up reasonably well especially in the first half but there just wasn't anyone in support of him because James goes too wide, so he'd lose it anyway, and he doesn't really have the timing to make those runs in behind for Bruno to aim at without someone else taking attention from him (which is why he looks twice as leaden when Rashford is out as when he's there - something that, to be fair, goes both ways and needs fixing).

15 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

That will result in a decent enough profit for Dortmund but is still quite low especially if Haaland continues to progress and also considering how inflated the transfer market has become and is likely to stay for a while yet. Sancho for instance will go for more than €120m (probably closer to €140 or €150m).

I can only say what'S been reported around here.

However 70m is hardly spare change. Which clubs can pay that?

EPL clubs. Maybe Real and Barca (if the latters sell someone), PSG, and maybe Juve if the FIAT family wants to piss off their workers again, oh, and Bayern ofc. I think that's about it.

We all know Mino. He wants to make money from his clients moving to greener pastures. So you can assume, that to the 70m release for Dortmund, any interested club will have to cough up another 50m for poor Mino.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I can only say what'S been reported around here.

However 70m is hardly spare change. Which clubs can pay that?

EPL clubs. Maybe Real and Barca (if the latters sell someone), PSG, and maybe Juve if the FIAT family wants to piss off their workers again, oh, and Bayern ofc. I think that's about it.

We all know Mino. He wants to make money from his clients moving to greener pastures. So you can assume, that to the 70m release for Dortmund, any interested club will have to cough up another 50m for poor Mino.

You've answered your own question there. Several clubs in the EPL could easily fork over 70mil for Haaland especially if he progresses. Then you have the usual heavyweights around Europe - PSG, Juve, Barca, Real, Bayern. I'd even include Inter since they paid more than that for Lukaku so they do have resources available to them. Then there's Atleti as well who have thrown some money around recently. Real Madrid might not because Perez does not like doing business with Raiola and Mbappe looks to be his dream signing. 

16 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

You've answered your own question there. Several clubs in the EPL could easily fork over 70mil for Haaland especially if he progresses. Then you have the usual heavyweights around Europe - PSG, Juve, Barca, Real, Bayern. I'd even include Inter since they paid more than that for Lukaku so they do have resources available to them. Then there's Atleti as well who have thrown some money around recently. Real Madrid might not because Perez does not like doing business with Raiola and Mbappe looks to be his dream signing. 

Yes, but Dortmund is more or less guaranteed CL football. So I don't think West Ham, Everton, or Newcstle (no offense intended) are that appealing to him, at least as is right now.

Maybe if Bin Salman decides to turn Newcastle in his favorite toy, thus transforms them into a second Man City and offers the decapitation of a journalist of Haaland's choice, as a signing bonus on top.

So let's see. If Liverpool, Chelsea, or City (to replace an aging Aguero) decide to fork over that money in two years. Dortmund will probably be able to find some sort of adequate replacement.

WRT to Atletico I wouldn't be so sure they could just throw cash around like crazy. Don't they have a stadium to pay for on the books? And I am kinda waiting for one of the bigger Spanish clubs to go bust, as I don't think all the clubs in La Liga are operating on a sound fiscal basis (a bit like Serie A in the past). I don't think it will be one of the big two going bust. But yeah, I forgot about Inter.

10 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yes, but Dortmund is more or less guaranteed CL football. So I don't think West Ham, Everton, or Newcstle (no offense intended) are that appealing to him, at least as is right now.

I think the point really is that the clubs likely to buy him for 70mil would be equally likely to buy him for 120 if he continues performing as expected.

9 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Maybe if Bin Salman decides to turn Newcastle in his favorite toy, thus transforms them into a second Man City and offers the decapitation of a journalist of Haaland's choice, as a signing bonus on top.

So let's see. If Liverpool, Chelsea, or City (to replace an aging Aguero) decide to fork over that money in two years. Dortmund will probably be able to find some sort of adequate replacement.

WRT to Atletico I wouldn't be so sure they could just throw cash around like crazy. Don't they have a stadium to pay for on the books? And I am kinda waiting for one of the bigger Spanish clubs to go bust, as I don't think all the clubs in La Liga are operating on a sound fiscal basis (a bit like Serie A in the past). I don't think it will be one of the big two going bust. But yeah, I forgot about Inter.

Obviously Haaland isn't going to move to Newcastle or Everton or West Ham. That's just stupid. When Haaland leaves it will be to one of the heavyweights and all of those clubs could easily pay 70mil - if Haaland continues to develop then 70mil is chump change in this market for a quality striker. Atleti are in a great position financially - the best position they've been in financially for a long time. They could easily afford 70mil. Wrt their stadium: cost to buy the land and renovate the existing stadium was around €300m iirc so not a huge financial burden. Atleti also sold the Vicente Calderon land for €185m.

12 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Still, it only took Ancelotti three tries to fall behind in the league and come back to win. Silva never managed that, so there may be something to this Ancelotti charchter after all. 

Down to 10 men too.

I knew Everton won but I hadn’t seen the score so watching Match of the Day this morning seeing Watford go two up was a bit of a surprise. Not a very Everton way to win.

11 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Down to 10 men too.

I knew Everton won but I hadn’t seen the score so watching Match of the Day this morning seeing Watford go two up was a bit of a surprise. Not a very Everton way to win.

Not a very Everton way indeed. 

Methinks we need VAR on the result, and I fully expect it to be overturned.

Archived