Football: Better Call Raul

Raja

8 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I thought Fernandes has a competing offer from Barcelona.  Or is that just paper talk?

Edu Polo, a reliable reporter for Barca, confirmed that talks were taking place but Fernandes was not interested in the offer - apparently Barca wanted to sign Fernandes and send him on loan to Valencia in exchange for Rodrigo joining Barca on loan.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Man Utd fans taking it a bit far attacking the home of Woodward. Bunch of pricks. 

Yeah, that’s completely over the line. He’s been a bit shit at one part of his job as a director of a football club, have some perspective.

It’ll be interesting to see how well Fernandes does. He’s done really well in Portugal but he’s been available for this sort of price for a while and nobody’s been interested, including United until fairly recently.

Woodward gets too much of the blame anyway. He doesn't have a DoF, sure, but he's not making transfer decisions on his own- he takes advice from scouts / other experts on targets (kind of temp DoFs, really), and okay, his transfer negotiations don't always smoothly, but how is he unqualified to make someone a job offer/conduct a business deal? United can't win on that front- pay to much and get rinsed, they get criticised, offer too little and miss out, they get criticised.

Recently Woodward / the Glazers have been accused of not backing the manager, but that's not really true either- the majority of the realistic transfer targets have been bought; it was mainly Mourinho's fetish for older players that they were refusing to indulge. (And Maguire initially too, but I don't think it was entirely unreasonable to baulk at the price being asked.)

Not to say he's blameless, but I'm not sure bringing in a DoF will magically solve all of United's problems. And nor will changing the owners. United have had plenty of money available for transfers. I'm not a big fan of the idea that football club owners are terrible unless they're actively trying to bankrupt themselves, and owners who care aren't necessarily a good thing either - *waves at Bill Kenwright*

The advantage of a DoF should be that it gives you some long term consistency in transfer dealings, allowing the club to buy players according to an overall vision, rather than adhering to the style of the manager at the time, who’s tenure normally lasts only a couple of seasons.

I mean that’s the theory anyway. In that regard i get why there is a cry for United to have one.

20 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The advantage of a DoF should be that it gives you some long term consistency in transfer dealings, allowing the club to buy players according to an overall vision, rather than adhering to the style of the manager at the time, who’s tenure normally lasts only a couple of seasons.

I mean that’s the theory anyway. In that regard i get why there is a cry for United to have one.

Yes, in theory that works. However, I think a DoF at United is really in a Catch-22. If they do have the authority and staying power to implement a long-term vision, then United will have trouble attracting top managers as the DoF will be seen as the real power. If they don't, then the position is kind of defunct and relegated to a "chief scout" position and you get none of the benefits of having a DoF.

That being said, now's as good a time as any to appoint one with an inexperienced manager like Solskjaer at the helm. Plus, simply by appointing one, Woodward would be able to insulate himself from any accountability for on-the-field performances.

Woodward has done a shit job on the footballing front and that is inarguable. His negotiation over transfer fees and contracts has been laughable. The question is not about spending money but rather that under Woodward's leadership a great deal of money has just been pissed away. He doesn't deserve shit stains attacking his home though - those dumb cunts have probably killed any further protests taking place. 

There has been a severe lack of planning at the club that has been highlighted by former scouts as well as Javier Ribalta who has also mentioned that recommendations are often ignored and there is no clear directive of the profile of players the scouting department should be concentrating on. The leadership has also been accused by former managers and scouts etc. of being more interested in commercial operations than football.

Even a moderately well run club would have been in a far better position than United given the money spent on transfers and wages. Instead we end up with our worst squad since the mid to late 80s. Also fuck the Glazers and fuck the argument that plenty of money has been available for transfers. The Glazer cunts have bled £1.4 billion out of the club, our academy was left to rot with no investment until 2016, our facilities have fallen behind, Old Trafford's roof leaks and the stadium is in need of renovations. 

19 minutes ago, Jeor said:

If they do have the authority and staying power to implement a long-term vision, then United will have trouble attracting top managers as the DoF will be seen as the real power. If they don't, then the position is kind of defunct and relegated to a "chief scout" position and you get none of the benefits of having a DoF.I

That's not true though. It may have been a long time ago but managers usually aren't given full control anymore. The manager will probably have a veto but all of the top clubs and even most of the second tier clubs don't give managers carte blanche.

I don't know if Woodward is necessarily rubbish at negotiating stuff, but it's definitely not good that he leaks everything at a very early stage. For all we know, Michael Edwards at Liverpool spends forever haggling over players too, we just don't hear anything of it until everything is done.

I do find it bizarre that United let their stadium and academy facilities get so run down, given that it wouldn't cost that much to renovate in the grand scheme of things - and improving infrastructure is something that is guaranteed to provide positive PR, unlike the footballing side, where even the best of intentions can lead to doodoo.

Anyway, Liverpool finally get to catch up on their game in hand tonight. Not sure how the game will go, apart from being absolutely certain that Michail Antonio will score.

Woodward is directly responsible for a wage bill that has ballooned out of control. Perhaps not a definitive indicator of poor negotiation but hard evidence that he has done a very poor job of running football operations if he thought it okay to sign off of on such ridiculous wages given to so many players. Since he refuses to appoint a Sporting Director, he therefore shoulders the accountability for a scattergun transfer policy and directionless scouting as well.

Infrastructure investment fell by the wayside because servicing the loans the Glazers took out to buy the club was a massive financial burden especially paying off the high interest PIK loans. From 2005/2006 to 2010/2011 our transfer spending fell significantly as well. We basically had to sell before we could buy as costs to service the debt accounted for approx. 40% of United's gross revenue during those years. From 2005-2010, interest payments were in excess of £100m per year reaching a high of £117m in 2009. It was only after several refinancings that these costs fell to a manageable amount (£18-25m/year) which has allowed transfer and infrastructure spending to increase - unfortunately this only happened after Fergie retired. 

Archived