Watch, Watched, Watching: Hindsight in 2020

Ramsay B.

I watched the first episode of the Norwegian series Ragnarok. The Norse gods vs. the giants in a high school? I think? It was an interesting first episode. I hope it remains so throughout the next 5 episodes.

Watched Gentleman this weekend. Decent entertaining movie. Had some odd parts to it, some parts that made no sense, and enough c-u-n-tuesday bombs to make the crowd I saw it with giggle and gasp. Some of it was obvious but like I said it was fun and kept the pace moving along.

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

Watched Gentleman this weekend. Decent entertaining movie. Had some odd parts to it, some parts that made no sense, and enough c-u-n-tuesday bombs to make the crowd I saw it with giggle and gasp. Some of it was obvious but like I said it was fun and kept the pace moving along.

What about the racist elements?

25 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Reviews have talked about the portrayal of the Chinese character as cliched going back to the 1930's even.

Or have I this film confused with another one?

Ok, yeah there are a few moments like that. They seem to be done over the top to purposely disarm them, if that makes sense? 

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

Ok, yeah there are a few moments like that. They seem to be done over the top to purposely disarm them, if that makes sense? 

Don't know what you mean by that.  Are you saying they are telling the viewers, "We're as offensively racist as possible so people don't call us racist?" Can people's racism be disarmed by being racist?

Wasn't sure where to put this, figure here is most appropriate.  So I just noticed all of Homeland is now available on hulu.  I stopped watching at the end of season 3.  For anyone who's seen seasons 4-7, is worth it or not, and why?

Went to see Parasite last night. Felt like I wanted to watch it again immediately. Interesting interview with Bong Joon Ho and Song Kang Ho afterwards. 

Very interesting to contrast this with The Lighthouse, which we saw two days earlier. 

13 hours ago, Zorral said:

Don't know what you mean by that.  Are you saying they are telling the viewers, "We're as offensively racist as possible so people don't call us racist?" Can people's racism be disarmed by being racist?

That comment is exactly why I answered your first question the way I did. I knew you were going to bait me into an answer then write some judgemental comment just like this one. In the future please leave me out of this agenda.

Somebody mentioned Melancholia up thread, so I watched it for the first time since it came out. I liked it a lot more this time. It’s really interesting to see the sister’s dynamic and how it changed with everything going on. I also forgot what an interesting cast it has and how great they all were. 

It does drag some during the wedding scenes though.

On 2/4/2020 at 6:35 AM, Isis said:

Went to see Parasite last night. Felt like I wanted to watch it again immediately. Interesting interview with Bong Joon Ho and Song Kang Ho afterwards. 

Very interesting to contrast this with The Lighthouse, which we saw two days earlier. 

I think the big difference between the two films is that everyone in parasite was likeable even when they did shady/bad things. I think it's one of the few films where i could sense the smell being mentioned which is an impressive feat from the director and actors. And unlike the lighthouse, I'd happily watch it again because although parasite is quite a harsh criticism of class and wealth it does so in a relatable way. The message in lighthouse is either beyond me or simply "don't spend several months on a windy rock with a person you don't like" - although i guess that could be a metaphor for life in general :)

i think either film deserves "best film" but i suspect lighthouse is too polarising for an oscar and parasite is subtitled. There's probably a blander crowd pleaser in there not made by Netflix. Ah, just checked and the lighthouse isn't even nominated.

So I had some time to waste yesterday and decided to watch Midsommer. Wow, wtf was that? You could see a lot of what happened coming as far as the plot goes, other than the shared almost "Sense8" emotions is maybe the best way of saying it? Have to say the beginning of the movie felt really genuine, the relationship between the couple, seemed pretty true and raw.

35 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think the big difference between the two films is that everyone in parasite was likeable even when they did shady/bad things. I think it's one of the few films where i could sense the smell being mentioned which is an impressive feat from the director and actors. And unlike the lighthouse, I'd happily watch it again because although parasite is quite a harsh criticism of class and wealth it does so in a relatable way. The message in lighthouse is either beyond me or simply "don't spend several months on a windy rock with a person you don't like" - although i guess that could be a metaphor for life in general :)

i think either film deserves "best film" but i suspect lighthouse is too polarising for an oscar and parasite is subtitled. There's probably a blander crowd pleaser in there not made by Netflix. Ah, just checked and the lighthouse isn't even nominated.

I think the lighthouse does have a lot to say, for example, one of the more in your face issues, would be in regards to toxic masculinity. 

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Yeah, you're right about the scenes where 'the smell' is discussed. It's pretty visceral. It's been described as a horror film with no villians, which is pretty spot on. You can empathise with most of the people in the film.

I really liked The Lighthouse. But we argued a lot about whether or not it had a storyline. I think it has enough of one. Although, not every film is about a story from A-Z. *shrug*

34 minutes ago, Isis said:

Yeah, you're right about the scenes where 'the smell' is discussed. It's pretty visceral. It's been described as a horror film with no villians, which is pretty spot on. You can empathise with most of the people in the film.

I really liked The Lighthouse. But we argued a lot about whether or not it had a storyline. I think it has enough of one. Although, not every film is about a story from A-Z. *shrug*

I think the lighthouse was more about creating an unsettling and tense mood than having a linear plot although in fairness it is still "two guys go slowly mad (or even more mad than they already were) while stuck in a lighthouse"

1 hour ago, Conflicting Thought said:

I think the lighthouse does have a lot to say, for example, one of the more in your face issues, would be in regards to toxic masculinity. 

Definitely. I just think parasite pulls off the trick of being enjoyable without picking up on the social commentary but welcomes you into the deeper aspects. The lighthouse because of the atmosphere (and utterly bizarre mythology aspects) just makes it a bit trickier to access. To be fair they are on opposite sides of the "horror" scale but both are refreshing in that neither rely on jump-scares.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

I think the lighthouse was more about creating an unsettling and tense mood than having a linear plot although in fairness it is still "two guys go slowly mad (or even more mad than they already were) while stuck in a lighthouse"

After watching it I said: yes, the sound was a little oppressive but it's not a patch on Kill List or Upstream Color. And actually, Only God Forgives (and Raw) was a more oppressive cinema experience. But, I think The Lighthouse looked bloody amazing. I really liked it. I'm a sucker for myth and symbolism though. I couldn't look away. 

Archived