Watch, Watched, Watching: Hindsight in 2020

Ramsay B.

45 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Watched a lovely documentary on Islay Scotch last night.  Found it on Amazon and really enjoyed it.  Highly recommended for those who love whiskey.

Oh right on, so it was good? I saw it on my recommended list and had been meaning to watch it. Worried it will make me go buy some bottles I absolutely dont need to be spending money on.

Found a random movie on Prime that turned out to be good. It's called Abandoned, and it was surprisingly good. It's about a small shipwrecked crew surviving at sea for months. It said it was based on a true story, but I'm sure there was a lot of embellishment. Anyway, if you like the combination of lost at sea and claustrophobia, give it shot.

Also rewatched The Ghost in the Darkness. Idk why I like the movie so much, but damn it's got a hook in me. 

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Birds of Prey getting decent reviews makes me happy, I'm looking forward to watching it :)

I wish my weekend was longer or i had more spare time because there is so much i want to see at the minute. I think i will go see Parasite first and slot BoP in if i have time. David Copperfield i will maybe try and catch some time during the week, and then the Lighthouse the following weekend

16 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Oh right on, so it was good? I saw it on my recommended list and had been meaning to watch it. Worried it will make me go buy some bottles I absolutely dont need to be spending money on.

I really liked it, learned some things, and also reinforced some things I already knew.  Like the fact you don't need to spend a bunch of money to get a very high quality whiskey.  I'm grabbing a bottle of Laphroig on the way home today :)

Last week I watched Joker.  Overall I liked it and agree with most that Phoenix is very good in the role.  The one thing about it that I really didn't like was...

Spoiler

the compulsive laughter

...but otherwise I thought it was good. 

Tonight I watched The Irishman.  I liked this one as well and was fine with the long runtime.  I have heard people complain it's just run of the mill Scorsese which is true.  Without seeing any of the credits you would know who made this film.  That's fine, though.  Run of the mill Scorsese is still Scorsese.  I liked Pesci and Pacino was good.  De Niro was great.  There are almost no women in the movie at all.  The women who are there only rarely speak.  I can assume the source material was such and the subject matter doesn't leave a lot of room for women but it makes a lopsided film.  Even by Scorsese standards The Irishman is completely about men. 

20 hours ago, Isis said:

After watching it I said: yes, the sound was a little oppressive but it's not a patch on Kill List or Upstream Color. And actually, Only God Forgives (and Raw) was a more oppressive cinema experience. But, I think The Lighthouse looked bloody amazing. I really liked it. I'm a sucker for myth and symbolism though. I couldn't look away. 

The "intoxicating" quote on the poster is quite apt. Defoe definitely felt mythical. Even the seagulls had significance.hope none were harmed in the making

20 hours ago, Isis said:

After watching it I said: yes, the sound was a little oppressive but it's not a patch on Kill List or Upstream Color. And actually, Only God Forgives (and Raw) was a more oppressive cinema experience. But, I think The Lighthouse looked bloody amazing. I really liked it. I'm a sucker for myth and symbolism though. I couldn't look away. 

Upstream Color and Only God Forgives really blew me away, if Lighthouse has only half the effect on me as those movies then it’s a doing a good job. 

Watching Ragnarok before Locke & Key tomorrow... Although it's a Norwegian show, I was looking at the young lady who plays Gry, and it was driving me crazy as to where I knew her from... and out of nowhere it dawned on me that she looks very much like a young Patrica Arquette... anyway, it's a weird, but decent show... 6 episodes if you need a quick binge

53 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Watching Ragnarok before Locke & Key tomorrow... Although it's a Norwegian show, I was looking at the young lady who plays Gry, and it was driving me crazy as to where I knew her from... and out of nowhere it dawned on me that she looks very much like a young Patrica Arquette... anyway, it's a weird, but decent show... 6 episodes if you need a quick binge

I'm digging Ragnarok. My only beef is the Jutuls remind me slightly of the Cullens from the Twilight series. But when Magne has his moments it's fantastic.

Spoiler

I loved it when he called down lightning at the end of episode 6. Take that Vidar, you prick!

And now I want a Scottish Deerhound.

My friend mentioned Hereditary in passing, so of course I had to go and watch it again. Such a horror masterpiece. 

Anyone watching Chilling Adventures of Sabrina? I watched the first few episodes months ago and stopped for whatever reason, but the previews for S3 makes it look like it got much darker. I’m intrigued again.

I also started a thread for The Lighthouse back in October if anyone wants to discuss it there. It was only out on limited release in the states then.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Finished sex education. I knew that disabled fucker was a wrong un from the start. Snidey little prick. 

I was making pretty embarassing snorts trying to keep my laughter quiet during Lily’s Romeo and Juliet scenes. The reactions of Groff and the governor woman (i can’t recall exactly what her role is) were hilarious.

Despite the hilarity i also think this season handled some very tricky and sensitive issues very well, particularly with Amy (the scenes with all of the girls sharing their experience and bonding over it particularly stood out) and Jackson. And Adam too, imo.

I just loved it all so much

Wrapped up the last episode of The New Pope yesterday. The last two episodes did a lot to smooth out my frustrations, but overall still a disappointment. I'd advice everyone who is really curious about the follow-up just to watch episodes 1, 7, 8 & 9. All the rest is a waste of time.

Episodes 2-6 are like a master class in tail spinning, because they also don't really add anything to the series. All in all I'd say that the chances of a casual viewer enjoying this are pretty much nil. You have to be really into the Young Pope (greatest series of the last couple of years) to stomach those sagging middle episodes.

8 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I also started a thread for The Lighthouse back in October if anyone wants to discuss it there. It was only out on limited release in the states then.

Ah, I wasn't sure whether there was one or not. Most of the time when I search for threads that I know I've seen/read I can't find them again, e.g. I was sure we had a thread for The Affair, but I can never find it. :(

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Despite the hilarity i also think this season handled some very tricky and sensitive issues very well, particularly with Amy (the scenes with all of the girls sharing their experience and bonding over it particularly stood out) and Jackson. And Adam too, imo.

I just loved it all so much

The acting was great. Adam is particularly fantastic. And every time Eric smiles the world seems a little bit better. 

I love how everything spins around Otis, who is by far the least interesting character (basically regular teenage problems). 

That being said, I can't face much more Ross/Rachel will they/wont they between him and Maeve. 

One of my best viewing experiences last year was the Showtime series, Escape at Dannemora; it's now available streaming on amazon prime.  Suggest it be checked out by anyone who particularly enjoys locations that aren't the usual, sharp writing and highest quality acting.

Others, Ha! -- agree with me: 5 stars at Rotten Tomatoes

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/escape_at_dannemora/s01

This is a review that provides a lot more detail

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/12/what-escape-dannemora-really/577096/

On the third episode of Locke & Key, the casting is terrific... all three kids are perfect, and about as close to the books as is reasonable to expect... really this show was only going to be as good as the kid who  plays Bode... and the kid is imminently likable.... the Tom Savini bit is wonderful....lol... I'll revisit in 7 episodes... 

Archived