Watch, Watched, Watching: Hindsight in 2020

Ramsay B.

Finished Locke & Key. A fun little show with good visuals. I liked that the teenagers were not always following the typical moody teenager trope, but were dealing with actual trauma. The show often bounced between being delightful and dark. Unfortunately, the plot required the characters to behave stupidly at times to create suspense and drama. The ending was fairly predictable. 

Also finished my re-watch of The Clone Wars, just ahead of its final season, for which I've gotten pretty excited.

20 hours ago, Zorral said:

Thanks but not that interested because I don't believe it will be good.  If I'm wrong, it still doesn't matter!  :D

Sorry but what makes you think it wouldn’t be good. Villenueve hasn’t missed a mark yet imo but :dunno:

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Do you live in a backwater hellhole? Or is it just the sheer size of the country? How remote are you? That sucks.

I live like 20 minutes from an amazon plant or whatever and it still is always 2 day shipping. Think it’s just the size of the country idk. 

18 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Sorry but what makes you think it wouldn’t be good. Villenueve hasn’t missed a mark yet imo but :dunno:

I live like 20 minutes from an amazon plant or whatever and it still is always 2 day shipping. Think it’s just the size of the country idk. 

I often order stuff and its with me within 5 hours. That being said there is very little I order from amazon I'm desperate for. So it's the free postage rather than speed thats important. 

I randomly woke up at 2:30 this morning, so I decided to find a movie that would be easy to fall asleep to. I sought out something I knew to be bad, but hadn’t watched in a while. Maybe like 15 years. As I was watching it I wondered why the movie was so panned. The first act was fairly decent and the second act wasn’t that bad. But then the third act came and holy hell it was crap.

The movie was the late 90’s version of Godzilla.

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Because Dune is so vast a canvas and population.  4 hours isn't enough.  We saw the many failures of that even more hours than that on the big screen with LOTR.  The longer time is since Jackson's LOTR the more the failures stand out, and it feels as though very little was done right.  Additionally, needing to wait a couple of years or so between the start and finish is something many of us no longer have the tolerance for as we've come to appreciate so much being able to watch as much as possible of something for as long as possible from start to finish when Netflix puts it up.

:D Of course, we both would need to take into account that I feel one of the few parts done right in LOTR was the casting of Liv Tyler as Arwen -- definitely in the minority in that opinion; I also loathe more and more the casting of Frodo and how he's interpreted in the films.

I watched Snow piercer the other night, kept seeing it talked about here. Meh... IMO it's ok at best.

Spoiler

Not sure why I'm using spoiler since it's old but...    so the whole cannibalism baby eating thing just seemed out of no where. Then the way to heavy handed foreshadowing that he was going to sacrifice his arm to save someone. And the ending. They end up destroying the train after they lost tons of human life to get control of it. Have to assume mass casualties in the wreck as well, and loss of their only food sources. I assume humans are extinct within a few weeks of the ending we are shown. Yes it's all a nice story about how humans are destroying the planet due to greed, over population etc..

Also watching Bodyguard, have an episode and half to go. It's ok, not the greatest but so far I am liking it.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

I watched Snow piercer the other night, kept seeing it talked about here. Meh... IMO it's ok at best.

Hide contents

Not sure why I'm using spoiler since it's old but...    so the whole cannibalism baby eating thing just seemed out of no where. Then the way to heavy handed foreshadowing that he was going to sacrifice his arm to save someone. And the ending. They end up destroying the train after they lost tons of human life to get control of it. Have to assume mass casualties in the wreck as well, and loss of their only food sources. I assume humans are extinct within a few weeks of the ending we are shown. Yes it's all a nice story about how humans are destroying the planet due to greed, over population etc..

I didn't care for Snowpiercer when I watched it way back when either.  Never understood all the hype it had then, and don't understand why people are talking about it again (other than the director, but his Oscar win doesn't suddenly make this a good movie).

9 hours ago, dbunting said:

I ended up having to buy this on dvd a couple of years ago to watch it in the UK. Annoying.

7 hours ago, Triskele said:

I can't resist now saying that I only just days ago also watched Snowpiercer for the first time because it was on Netflix and I'd just seen Parasite and was like why not.  Really not that great but worth watching, i suppose.  Kind of a creative premise but just not that great a watch.

Definitely like Okja a lot better of the Bong films I've now seen.

It's probably why they are making at least two seasons of a tv show based on the premise. That might be where a fully realised version makes it to screen

Is there more than 1 cut of the movie? I remember the director battling with weinstein at the time of release.

13 hours ago, Isis said:

I ended up having to buy this on dvd a couple of years ago to watch it in the UK. Annoying.

Its on Amazon Prime.

eta: had to look that up because i couldn’t recall which service i watched it on. Interestingly, Netflix have their placeholder and a “remind me” option for the tv series already

3 hours ago, Triskele said:

Patriot on Amazon Prime was a great recommendation.  I'm through about 6 episodes and have laughed really hard several times.  Still having issue with sound not being quite on target.  So bizarre to me that Bezos can do anything in the world except this for some reason.  

Except he can't deliver an actual product.80% of AP is unavailable to me due to "geographical restrictions".So why would I ever subscribe to it?

How come this issue does not apply to Netflix?Anyone?

It applies to Netflix, they just expanded worldwide earlier and started getting their content back. Stuff like House of Cards, Orange is the New Black wasn’t on my local Netflix for a while.

My main issue with AP Video is the streaming app which is a hideous failure of functionality. Their own shows are good quality, imo, although obviously not as wide a range as Netflix.

I could post this in the U.S. politics thread, but it feels right leaving it here. Our president is an idiot of the highest order.  

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump bemoaned this year's Academy Award winner for best picture, "Parasite," on Thursday because it's a South Korean film.

"How bad were the Academy Awards this year, did you see? 'And the winner is ... a movie from South Korea,' " Trump said, impersonating an announcer, at a rally in Colorado.

"What the hell was that all about? We've got enough problems with South Korea with trade, on top of it they give them the best movie of the year?" he asked.

Parasite was the first foreign language movie to win best picture at the Academy Awards. It also won awards for directing and original screenplay.

Trump, however, wasn't impressed. He seemed more interested in American films that had been made more than 70 years ago.

"I'm looking for like, let's get 'Gone with the Wind' -- can we get like 'Gone with the Wind' back, please? 'Sunset Boulevard,' so many great movies," he continued.

Trump said he didn't know if "Parasite" was good. "I thought it was best foreign film, best foreign movie -- no, it was the best. Did this ever happen before?" he asked

Neon, the American distributor of "Parasite," responded to Trump's criticism on Twitter.

"Understandable, he can't read," the company wrote.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/20/politics/trump-south-korea-best-picture-parasite/index.html

Anyways, I plan on watching it this weekend along with JoJo Rabbit.

Speaking of amazon prime as the thread is, I've read not a single favorable review of it's vaunted new original, Hunters.  The criticisms the reviews (of the first 5 episodes the reviewers were given access to, along with a host of restrictions of what they couldn't talk about in their articles) have in common is that it is schlocky and shallow, pretending to be several genres at once, and doing none of them of well.  The schlocky and shallow is distressing because of the subject matter is the Holocaust; it also seems to be somewhat revisionist in terms of heroism and survival while at the same time reverting back to the horrors of the extermination camps -- wanting to have it both ways, which is the real distresser.  

Anyway, Hunters is now up on AP, and has banner ads splattered across every news site.  (It must show something about my internet usage, that I get these ads, but no political ones, not even from omnibloomie.)

I re-watched Parasite last night, and it was an even more impressive and overwhelming the second time around. One review said it was as close to perfect as any movie can get, and I agree with that sentiment. For some reason, I absorbed the tragedy and anxiety of the movie much more now than I did the first time I saw it. 

In other words, I highly recommend people to watch it a second time; the handiwork that went into this movie warrants multiple viewings.

Archived