Watch, Watched, Watching: Hindsight in 2020

Ramsay B.

Our $treaming oppre$$ion$ -- which evidently is giving pirating a boost, after several years of severe decline.

Big Tech is also Big Entertainment, one and the same now.

Disney+’s hugely successful launch wasn’t just because of its catalog. The company also had recently become majority owner of BAMTech—a streaming technology service spun off by Major League Baseball from its digital media operation. Instead of trying to develop a tech company from scratch, Disney just bought one. And with that, Disney was able to offer a slick interface and straightforward subscription plan along with a decades-deep catalog and The Mandalorian.

NBCUniversal has gone a very different route for its streaming service. Its offering, set to launch July 15, is called Peacock (perhaps a mistake in a world where penis jokes travel at the speed of light online). It will have a few originals, but the biggest draw is going to be its catalog, including SNL  and The Office. And unlike Disney+, it’s got a free option. Or you can pay for a premium option that has more content but still has ads. You can also pay for a premium premium service that has no ads.

But here’s the thing: Peacock doesn’t have to be good to compete. It simply has to exist on Comcast. Peacock Premium (with ads) will be free if you are a Comcast or Cox subscriber, and all of those subscribers are getting Peacock’s ads and driving up Peacock’s subscriber numbers, which makes those ads more lucrative for NBCUniversal. And that should come as no surprise to anyone who knows that Comcast owns NBCUniversal and that Cox licenses Comcast’s streaming platform.

https://slate.com/technology/2020/02/netflix-hulu-disney-hbo-peacock-streaming-wars.html

The conclusion:

Here’s one very basic thing we can do, right now: restore net neutrality. We used to have strong net neutrality protections, and there’s a bill that would make the old protections law, which has already passed the House of Representatives and is just languishing in the Senate. You can tell your senators to push for it.

Another thing to do is support measures that promote ISP choice. This is an area that can seem very boring but is very important. Longer term, be suspicious of copyright laws that involve filters, easy content removal, and sky-high punishments for regular internet users. Also, when Hollywood and ISPs talk about “Big Tech,” remember that Disney and Comcast are also big, also tech companies, and also trying to control what you see and do online. Tech companies are now entertainment companies, too—think about YouTube Red, Amazon Originals, Facebook Watch, Apple TV+. Remember that we had to put in place rules to prevent giant movie studios from manipulating the movie theater market, and think about what the Disney-Marvel-Pixar-Fox-Lucasfilm megacorporation could do these days. Wonder why any of these companies—studios, Big Tech, ISPs—have been allowed to get so big with so little oversight.

We know how to protect ourselves from what’s coming. We know people prefer legal streaming to piracy. We know that an overwhelming majority of Americans support net neutrality. We know that people should have choices for ISPs. We have the numbers on our side, just not the money. So we just have to start speaking up. 

14 hours ago, Triskele said:

Patriot on Amazon Prime was a great recommendation.  I'm through about 6 episodes and have laughed really hard several times.  Still having issue with sound not being quite on target.  So bizarre to me that Bezos can do anything in the world except this for some reason.  

It's one of my all time favorite shows.

Brilliantly written and acted, great cast, critical accolades, you can't ask for more in a show than what Patriot gave... Except love from the mainstream audience.

Alas.

Edit: no sound sync issues in Canada, though

Edit II: there's a scene with some French detectives in S2 that had me laughing so hard I actually fell out of my chair gasping for air, a solid 1 minute laugh that almost fucking killed me

3 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Edit II: there's a scene with some French detectives in S2 that had me laughing so hard I actually fell out of my chair gasping for air, a solid 1 minute laugh that almost fucking killed me

My bad. They're weren't French, per se [I suppose] 

Luxembourg detectives.

11 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Watched City of God. See why it’s so highly rated. Some of the best editing and maybe the smoothest use of a non linear time structure I’ve seen. 

Top 3 film of all time for me. There was also a linked TV show which is worth watching but nowhere near as good (cant for the life of me remember what its called). 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Top 3 film of all time for me. There was also a linked TV show which is worth watching but nowhere near as good (cant for the life of me remember what its called). 

City of Men?

Saw Birds of Prey the other night. It was almost okay, but I hope it bombs. The excessive pandering was just too much and Obi Wan was just such a caricature of a villain. They should do better.

18 hours ago, Zorral said:

Our $treaming oppre$$ion$ -- which evidently is giving pirating a boost, after several years of severe decline.

Big Tech is also Big Entertainment, one and the same now.

https://slate.com/technology/2020/02/netflix-hulu-disney-hbo-peacock-streaming-wars.html

The conclusion:

Interesting read! Never thought about why Netflix cancels shows after two or three seasons usually.

21 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I could post this in the U.S. politics thread, but it feels right leaving it here. Our president is an idiot of the highest order.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/20/politics/trump-south-korea-best-picture-parasite/index.html

Anyways, I plan on watching it this weekend along with JoJo Rabbit.

I would laugh, but this is the leader of the free world :crying:

18 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

It's one of my all time favorite shows.

Brilliantly written and acted, great cast, critical accolades, you can't ask for more in a show than what Patriot gave... Except love from the mainstream audience.

Alas.

Edit: no sound sync issues in Canada, though

I have never heard of this, what is it? :) 

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was trying to catch up with some of the Studio Ghibli films that have been appearing on Netflix. I watched Porco Rosso, which might not quite be among Ghibli's best but still good. It's definitely a slightly weird film where almost everything about the film is comparatively mundane except for the fact that the main character is a humanoid pig, something that the film does acknowledge is weird but steadfastly refuses to explain even when other characters try asking about it. I liked the between-World-Wars setting, with the story of rival seaplane-flying aviators set against a backdrop of the Depression and the rise of Italian fascism. One of the supporting characters has ambitions as a Hollywood actor and the movie does have a bit of a Golden Age Hollywood feel to it. As ever with Ghibli the animation is great, particularly the aerial dogfights and the flashback scene where the main character sees (or hallucinates) the planes of dead pilots ascending into the heavens.

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I have never heard of this, what is it? :) 

Patriot on Amazon. 

It's about an MIA CIA operative/folk singer who gets pulled back into the fold [namely Iran circa 2012, et Luxembourg] by his politically influential father and the shenanigans that ensue thereafter. Character driven, darkly comedic. Critics and its small fan base loved it, but Amazon fucked it on the marketing.

So, soooo good.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:25 AM, Mark Antony said:

Watched City of God. See why it’s so highly rated. Some of the best editing and maybe the smoothest use of a non linear time structure I’ve seen. 

Elite Squad is another good Brazilian movie though not quite as good as City of God iirc. 

On 2/21/2020 at 11:33 AM, JEORDHl said:

That scene was hilarious! I was in a sort of shock right off the bet and then just started cracking up.

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

I really want to see his other one now too.  This was really great.  I like how it's horror in a certain sense but not in a "shit, that jumped out of nowhere!" chainsaw type of horror.  

I love Midsommar, but Hereditary is on another level. Very disturbing. Modern horror masterpiece. 

Just finished ep 4 (of 6) of Cheer. I’ve seen bits of cheerleading competitions on ESPN while channel surfing, so I knew it was a serious athletic endeavor. But, I didn’t realize it was that intense and scary.

George W Bush was a cheerleader at Yale, and there is no way in hell I would trust a 20 y/o W to do the stunts that Jerry, D, TT, and Will are being trusted to perform.

Archived