Watch, Watched, Watching: Hindsight in 2020

Ramsay B.

45 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I love Midsommar, but Hereditary is on another level. Very disturbing. Modern horror masterpiece. 

Yup. Can’t recommend it enough.

I watched Martha Marcy May Marlene for the first time in years. I forgot how creepy this gets at times. Elizabeth Olsen is so good in it though, Hawkes too in a limited role. 

I found the 2016 Russian film Viking on tubi tv last night. Sadly it became a peanut butter cookie-induced dream fugue. I remember parts of it in between slumbers, but the whole is kind of a mess. I'll watch it again when I'm "sober".

ETA: Watched it through. It looks good, but the writing is shit. 

9 hours ago, Triskele said:

I really want to see his other one now too.  This was really great.  I like how it's horror in a certain sense but not in a "shit, that jumped out of nowhere!" chainsaw type of horror.  

Yep exactly. The ending has stuck with me for a couple days now. It's like I need a therapy session to talk about it or something lol. Guess that's what this board is for. 

On 2/22/2020 at 5:54 PM, JEORDHl said:

Patriot on Amazon. 

It's about an MIA CIA operative/folk singer who gets pulled back into the fold [namely Iran circa 2012, et Luxembourg] by his politically influential father and the shenanigans that ensue thereafter. Character driven, darkly comedic. Critics and its small fan base loved it, but Amazon fucked it on the marketing.

So, soooo good.

I have watched 5 episodes and it is indeed impressive. The music is great and I love the low-level depression at the heart of it. It's like the anti-Bond in many ways :D 

EDIT: I also love how they shamelessly pass Prague on as Amsterdam, Antwerp, Luxembourg and Brussels :lol:

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Finally watched Death of Stalin, hmmm, I liked it, it was good, it hit the right tone of dark comedy I guess, but not sure it deserves a 96% on RT.

Never ever trust RT! It's a bad rating system. 

8 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I have watched 5 episodes and it is indeed impressive. The music is great and I love the low-level depression at the heart of it. It's like the anti-Bond in many ways :D 

Mmn hmn. Every now and then the mask slips and Dorman's performance depicts the true pathos of John Tavner's character. 

There are very few series that I genuinely, achingly love. It gladdens me that I got a even a few people onto this absolute gem of a fucking show.

Edit: Also, I did not know that bit about Prague. Coincidentally, a friend of mine keeps recommending it as a place to be.

Saw Parasite at the theater yesterday, was a pretty good movie. One person got up and left about a quarter way through which was surprising. 

Spoiler

One question. The father mentions working at a failed bakery at some point, and the guy in the bomb shelter mentions that he has been there since his cake shop or bakery failed, is that accurate or did I miss remember something. 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Saw Parasite at the theater yesterday, was a pretty good movie. One person got up and left about a quarter way through which was surprising. 

Hide contents

One question. The father mentions working at a failed bakery at some point, and the guy in the bomb shelter mentions that he has been there since his cake shop or bakery failed, is that accurate or did I miss remember something. 

Its accurate, i read that the bakery business was an actual con in south corea, where allot of people lost their money. 

1 hour ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Its accurate, i read that the bakery business was an actual con in south corea, where allot of people lost their money. 

Ok, so it was more of a wide spread scheme. I thought they were trying to tie together the two families as in the basement mans bakery failed and the father worked there. I figured it was odd since they didn't recognize each other. 

I guess looking back on the Oscars and the acting category I could see the father being nominated. He really conveyed a sense of shame and anger without actually speaking when the couple was discussing his smell and later on with the Indian headdresses.  

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

Reveal hidden contents

That person was probably like ‘ugh it’s got writing on the screen! This sucks!’

Anyway, thanks again everyone for the Patriot recommendation.  I officially love it. It’s like James Bond directed by Wes Anderson’s less puritanical brother.

11 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Edit: Also, I did not know that bit about Prague. Coincidentally, a friend of mine keeps recommending it as a place to be.

As someone who knows all cities involved quite well, it's super obvious. They use Charles Bridge a lot :D I find it very funny ;) 

11 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Mmn hmn. Every now and then the mask slips and Dorman's performance depicts the true pathos of John Tavner's character. 

There are very few series that I genuinely, achingly love. It gladdens me that I got a even a few people onto this absolute gem of a fucking show.

Thanks for that :cheers: I love his interactions

Spoiler

with the little girl. Un homme triste indeed

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is JoJo Rabbit supposed to be a comedy? If so I almost never laughed. Liked it, would recommend it, but I don’t think I’ll ever watch it again.

Think it was supposed to be part comedy, part coming of age in a difficult time. I laughed.

25 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Think it was supposed to be part comedy, part coming of age in a difficult time. I laughed.

I can see that, but it just kind of hit too close to home for me to see the humor in it. I always struggle when I watch films that make you ask yourself if you'd do the right thing in dangerous times. You'd like to think you would, but you never really know. It's kind of like saying you'd never kill anyone without knowing the future actions you'd take.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I always struggle when I watch films that make you ask yourself if you'd do the right thing in dangerous times. You'd like to think you would, but you never really know.

“We’re at a particularly dangerous moment, historically speaking,” noting the way that “history, or versions of it, have been weaponized against marginalized communities.” He went on, “When people are reading history and thinking, ‘I wonder what it would be like to live during the Civil War? I certainly would have been one of the good guys,’ well, what you’re doing now is probably what you would have done then.”

I copied that out from a NYer article a while ago, but damned if I remember when or who the person quoted is.

I watched the first couple of episodes of The Hunters. So, er, yeah, it's very weird. Most of it is sort of over the top shlocky, dark comedy revenge fantasy stuff, fine, but it's interspersed with scenes of Jews being tortured and murdered at various concentration camps. It's pretty jarring.

I watched only the first episode of Hunters, and found it all over the place. Given some of the criticism it's receiving, I'll just stay away.

I finished the Norwegian show Beforeigners, made by HBO Europe, and just released in the US last week. I enjoyed it for the most part. A dark comedy with a really quirky premise.

On 2/24/2020 at 7:28 AM, dbunting said:

Hide contents

That was accurate. 

Archived