Watch, Watched, Watching: Hindsight in 2020

Ramsay B.

I've been wanting to give This Country a try since first reading about it on Brit sites. But it's not available here, at least not on the sub services I've got.  Nor does Netflix dvd have it. Very disappointing.

Whereas, with Avenue 5, I haven't wanted to give it a try.  HBO's series lately, such as the Righteous Gemstones -- just not working.  Watchmen was fine; Gentleman Jack is splendid, but the rest seem mostly about young kids for young kids, which don't interest this viewer at all, or so-called 'quirky' which don't generally get beyond single tone beats.  Well, second season of My Brilliant Friend is coming.

On 2/15/2020 at 1:42 PM, Triskele said:

I would definitely prefer to keep going with The Expanse, and even if I didn't I would have been sick for other fans if it just got dropped, so props to Amazon for keeping it going.  Just not sure at the moment that I'm going to stick with Amazon just for The Expanse if the rest of what's on offer doesn't look better than it's looking to me in the early-going here.  I take back anything bad I've ever said about Netflix.  

Before you bounce on it Trisk, do yourself a favor and watch S1 and S2 of Patriot.

16 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

This Country S3 starts tonight. Blows my mind how under the radar this (and the detectorists) is compared to fleabag, which while good is not 'that' good. 

It probably helps that a lot of the media hyping TV shows recognise Fleabags metropolitan 30 something lifestyle and therefore talk about it gushingly as being in tune with "everyone". I wonder how many TV journalists have a past in hobby metal detecting and small town life of "this country"? 

I think "this country" is more of a slow-burn sitcom in that it probably catches on with time. I guess it is more traditional than fleabag in terms of style and direction. The mockumentary format is old nowadays and innovative is something critics (perhaps fairly) latch onto.

2 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Before you bounce on it Trisk, do yourself a favor and watch S1 and S2 of Patriot.

That and "the boys". I kind of see where Trisk is coming from though in that the amount of new shows that are good are quite limited on amazon. Probably because they keep putting them on "channels" like Starz , shudder and funimation where you are expected to pay more for them. Does anyone know if you can have those channels without paying prime?

In defence of amazon prime I am enjoying "Vinland saga" quite a lot. Manga influenced vikings works for me and is a nice substitute for "Vikings" where at least the stupid bits in the anime (giant oars, super strength) are on the nose instead of being lazy or genuine mistakes.

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is it fair to say that The Outsider is both a bit boring and yet still addictive? 

I'm not seeing it as boring, I am seeing it as a slow burn? I think knowing that there are only a few episodes left is why I don't mind the pacing. I would rather that than have it be six episodes and a lot of the character build up gets lost. Now, if it was a 16 or 24 episode show, yeah I'd be worried.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

That and "the boys". I kind of see where Trisk is coming from though in that the amount of new shows that are good are quite limited on amazon. Probably because they keep putting them on "channels" like Starz , shudder and funimation where you are expected to pay more for them. Does anyone know if you can have those channels without paying prime?

I feel like Amazon concentrates quite heavily on pushing a small number of marquee shows, like The Boys and then completely hides many of its other shows. It's like it's trying to draw people in with big, headliners, but never really has the depth of quality outside of that. There is some serious trash floating around on Prime.

But I guess you can stop people cancelling if they feel scared they might miss out on the next great show.

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is it fair to say that The Outsider is both a bit boring and yet still addictive? 

I think the show is entertaining even in it's slower moments, and I've never considered it slow or boring. It's not the instant classic I thought it was after the first 2 episodes and it's probably a bit too schlocky for me now, but I do enjoy it.

You can subscribe directly to STARZ and the others, for a limited period, and then cancel, and it will be a lot less money than buying access through Prime.  This is the only reason, really, Prime exists, which is to resell for their own profit, the work of others -- and its a hefty profit all right.

By and large what they make themselves is at best, mediocre.

44 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You can subscribe directly to STARZ and the others, for a limited period, and then cancel, and it will be a lot less money than buying access through Prime.  This is the only reason, really, Prime exists, which is to resell for their own profit, the work of others -- and its a hefty profit all right.

By and large what they make themselves is at best, mediocre.

Their entire interface is designed to try and push you on to their other channels like STARZ, it's so infuriating. I can barely find the show I was just watching because the first thing I see is movies and shows I don't have access to. 

I do think they are currently making some good quality shows, but those are the big headliners, and they seem to be throwing money at the problem. 

Mother!  What the fuck?  I'm not sure how it could seem to be both too allegorical and not allegorical or fantastical enough, but that's how it struck me.  No idea why Jlaw's performance was praised, she was like a sleep walker through most of the movie, I did think that Javier Bardem made a great sexy/narcissistic/selfish god.  Everyone and everything else in the film: meh.  

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

I am pretty sure it’s supposed to be two movies.

I didn't know that.  But the wait would be a terrible drag. Or if it's awful, nobody will go to the second.  Wait, people probably still would go the second even if the first was awful because it seems that people do that!

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I didn't know that.  But the wait would be a terrible drag. Or if it's awful, nobody will go to the second.  Wait, people probably still would go the second even if the first was awful because it seems that people do that!

Yes, I believe a few franchises proved that.

Btw, we do have a thread about it, if you want to know what is known so far about the movie.

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

Yes, I believe a few franchises proved that.

Btw, we do have a thread about it, if you want to know what is known so far about the movie.

Thanks but not that interested because I don't believe it will be good.  If I'm wrong, it still doesn't matter!  :D

@Triskele kind of surprised you didnt like The Boys. It hooked me pretty quickly.. how many episodes did you watch? Also highly agree with Patriot if you like black comedy/dramedy like Coen Bros productions. Those 2 along with Bosch are the best on Prime in my opinion (have not seen the Maisel or Fleabag shows yet).

49 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I should clarify that my anti-Amazon Prime comment was at least in part a user error.  I struggled with the setup initially (this is remarkably shameful as it's not particular difficult, like at all), and the list of original programming is definitely better-looking than I'd initially realized.

I am diving into Patriot now and think it's right up my alley (only on episode 2 so far) and think there's a good chance I'll binge this all.  

I thought The Boys was solid enough that I can see why it's well-liked (did about 4 eps so far).  Might finish it eventually.  

Gooood, Triskele. Now, order a couple of free 2-day shipping items and your journey to the dark side will be complete. 

Archived