Jump to content
Ramsay B.

Watch, Watched, Watching: Hindsight in 2020

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Kind of surprised this got renewed for another season. The general consensus seems to be pretty meh. 

Its pretty terrible, but in a really strange way, and I'm slightly fascinated by how its getting made and what anyone involved with it is thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

Its pretty terrible, but in a really strange way, and I'm slightly fascinated by how its getting made and what anyone involved with it is thinking.

So.Strangely,fascinatingly terrible?

Probably what Iannuci was aiming for..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished S1 and S2 of Sex Education this weekend, really well done show with pretty good acting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caught Little Women yesterday and I adored it. Some scenes/ characters didn't work for me & Gerwig has a tendency not to cast people of colour in movies she has written or directed, but I still really enjoyed Little Women and I'm glad I caught it on the big screen.

I've finally got time off so I'm catching 1917, Parasite & Birds of Prey this week so I'm excited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After being perplexed at seeing it mentioned in a couple of 'best of the decade' lists, I decided that I should probably way Jon Favreau's 'Chef' movie. 

Now I've been avoiding it for quite some time as I'd always assumed it was a middle of the road, bland, feel good movie that should be almost entirely forgettable. But it keeps coming up, people keep talking about it as some underrated gem. So I went against my gut and I watched it. 

Verdict: My gut was correct. It's exactly as I expected. I'm a huge fan of Swingers and love Favreau for directing Iron Man, in fact his presence in the movie stops it from being completely irritating because he's just very likable and real. 

The the oddest thing about this movie is that it is barely a movie. It doesn't actually seem to have a plot. There is ZERO drama after the first 20 minutes. Basically something bad happens early on, then the rest of the movie is just a lot of people being very nice, nice stuff happening, things look nice.. it's.. it's NICE! I just found it strange that with only 10 mins of the movie left, there had been zero jeopardy, zero risk and zero drama. It was feel good in the most extreme sense, in that it seemed uninterested in making the viewer feel any emotion other than hunger. 

It does make you feel hungry though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I, too, saw Chef for the first time a few months ago. I felt much the same, it's a very laid back, low drama "slice of life" sort of film. The main draw are the cooking scenes, I suppose, which is why I guess foodies love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also helps if youve lived in the industry at all. It is easily the closest "this is how it is" of any movie involving the restaurant world I can think of. So it's a top 5 ever for me simply because I love to cook, and I have been one of those tequila shot rounds, no sleep, service before self types my entire life (though as front of house myself). 

Last time I watched it, I paused about halfway through and and spent a good hour and a half cooking myself one of the best impromptu meals I have ever come up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Also helps if youve lived in the industry at all. It is easily the closest "this is how it is" of any movie involving the restaurant world I can think of. So it's a top 5 ever for me simply because I love to cook, and I have been one of those tequila shot rounds, no sleep, service before self types my entire life (though as front of house myself). 

Last time I watched it, I paused about halfway through and and spent a good hour and a half cooking myself one of the best impromptu meals I have ever come up with.

yeah I got the sense of that. It just felt more like a documentary than a movie. You can appreciate it if you like good food, but it felt more like an insider movie to me. Like when Hollywood makes movies about Hollywood that are aimed at people who work in Hollywood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Country S3 starts tonight. Blows my mind how under the radar this (and the detectorists) is compared to fleabag, which while good is not 'that' good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been wanting to give This Country a try since first reading about it on Brit sites. But it's not available here, at least not on the sub services I've got.  Nor does Netflix dvd have it. Very disappointing.

Whereas, with Avenue 5, I haven't wanted to give it a try.  HBO's series lately, such as the Righteous Gemstones -- just not working.  Watchmen was fine; Gentleman Jack is splendid, but the rest seem mostly about young kids for young kids, which don't interest this viewer at all, or so-called 'quirky' which don't generally get beyond single tone beats.  Well, second season of My Brilliant Friend is coming.

 

 

Edited by Zorral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it fair to say that The Outsider is both a bit boring and yet still addictive? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is it fair to say that The Outsider is both a bit boring and yet still addictive? 

Yes. I’ve considered dropping it a couple times already, but for some reason I still want to finish it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had never seen Under the Skin from 2014 and don't think I've seen anything else by Glazer but just watched this.  WTF mostly in a good way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 1:42 PM, Triskele said:

I would definitely prefer to keep going with The Expanse, and even if I didn't I would have been sick for other fans if it just got dropped, so props to Amazon for keeping it going.  Just not sure at the moment that I'm going to stick with Amazon just for The Expanse if the rest of what's on offer doesn't look better than it's looking to me in the early-going here.  I take back anything bad I've ever said about Netflix.  

Before you bounce on it Trisk, do yourself a favor and watch S1 and S2 of Patriot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

This Country S3 starts tonight. Blows my mind how under the radar this (and the detectorists) is compared to fleabag, which while good is not 'that' good. 

It probably helps that a lot of the media hyping TV shows recognise Fleabags metropolitan 30 something lifestyle and therefore talk about it gushingly as being in tune with "everyone". I wonder how many TV journalists have a past in hobby metal detecting and small town life of "this country"? 

I think "this country" is more of a slow-burn sitcom in that it probably catches on with time. I guess it is more traditional than fleabag in terms of style and direction. The mockumentary format is old nowadays and innovative is something critics (perhaps fairly) latch onto.

2 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Before you bounce on it Trisk, do yourself a favor and watch S1 and S2 of Patriot.

That and "the boys". I kind of see where Trisk is coming from though in that the amount of new shows that are good are quite limited on amazon. Probably because they keep putting them on "channels" like Starz , shudder and funimation where you are expected to pay more for them. Does anyone know if you can have those channels without paying prime?

In defence of amazon prime I am enjoying "Vinland saga" quite a lot. Manga influenced vikings works for me and is a nice substitute for "Vikings" where at least the stupid bits in the anime (giant oars, super strength) are on the nose instead of being lazy or genuine mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is it fair to say that The Outsider is both a bit boring and yet still addictive? 

I'm not seeing it as boring, I am seeing it as a slow burn? I think knowing that there are only a few episodes left is why I don't mind the pacing. I would rather that than have it be six episodes and a lot of the character build up gets lost. Now, if it was a 16 or 24 episode show, yeah I'd be worried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, red snow said:

That and "the boys". I kind of see where Trisk is coming from though in that the amount of new shows that are good are quite limited on amazon. Probably because they keep putting them on "channels" like Starz , shudder and funimation where you are expected to pay more for them. Does anyone know if you can have those channels without paying prime?

I feel like Amazon concentrates quite heavily on pushing a small number of marquee shows, like The Boys and then completely hides many of its other shows. It's like it's trying to draw people in with big, headliners, but never really has the depth of quality outside of that. There is some serious trash floating around on Prime.

But I guess you can stop people cancelling if they feel scared they might miss out on the next great show.

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is it fair to say that The Outsider is both a bit boring and yet still addictive? 

I think the show is entertaining even in it's slower moments, and I've never considered it slow or boring. It's not the instant classic I thought it was after the first 2 episodes and it's probably a bit too schlocky for me now, but I do enjoy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can subscribe directly to STARZ and the others, for a limited period, and then cancel, and it will be a lot less money than buying access through Prime.  This is the only reason, really, Prime exists, which is to resell for their own profit, the work of others -- and its a hefty profit all right.

By and large what they make themselves is at best, mediocre.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You can subscribe directly to STARZ and the others, for a limited period, and then cancel, and it will be a lot less money than buying access through Prime.  This is the only reason, really, Prime exists, which is to resell for their own profit, the work of others -- and its a hefty profit all right.

By and large what they make themselves is at best, mediocre.

 

Their entire interface is designed to try and push you on to their other channels like STARZ, it's so infuriating. I can barely find the show I was just watching because the first thing I see is movies and shows I don't have access to. 

I do think they are currently making some good quality shows, but those are the big headliners, and they seem to be throwing money at the problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rewatched Blade Runner 2049 for the first time since it was in cinema. Liked a lot more 2nd time around. Fuck I can’t wait till Dune

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×