Ramsay B.

Watch, Watched, Watching: Hindsight in 2020

It's really difficult to see how a film-length could begin to do justice at all to Dune.

26 minutes ago, Zorral said:

It's really difficult to see how a film-length could begin to do justice at all to Dune.

I am pretty sure it’s supposed to be two movies.

Mother!  What the fuck?  I'm not sure how it could seem to be both too allegorical and not allegorical or fantastical enough, but that's how it struck me.  No idea why Jlaw's performance was praised, she was like a sleep walker through most of the movie, I did think that Javier Bardem made a great sexy/narcissistic/selfish god.  Everyone and everything else in the film: meh.  

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

I am pretty sure it’s supposed to be two movies.

I didn't know that.  But the wait would be a terrible drag. Or if it's awful, nobody will go to the second.  Wait, people probably still would go the second even if the first was awful because it seems that people do that!

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I didn't know that.  But the wait would be a terrible drag. Or if it's awful, nobody will go to the second.  Wait, people probably still would go the second even if the first was awful because it seems that people do that!

Yes, I believe a few franchises proved that.

Btw, we do have a thread about it, if you want to know what is known so far about the movie.

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

Yes, I believe a few franchises proved that.

Btw, we do have a thread about it, if you want to know what is known so far about the movie.

Thanks but not that interested because I don't believe it will be good.  If I'm wrong, it still doesn't matter!  :D

@Triskele kind of surprised you didnt like The Boys. It hooked me pretty quickly.. how many episodes did you watch? Also highly agree with Patriot if you like black comedy/dramedy like Coen Bros productions. Those 2 along with Bosch are the best on Prime in my opinion (have not seen the Maisel or Fleabag shows yet).

I should clarify that my anti-Amazon Prime comment was at least in part a user error.  I struggled with the setup initially (this is remarkably shameful as it's not particular difficult, like at all), and the list of original programming is definitely better-looking than I'd initially realized.

I am diving into Patriot now and think it's right up my alley (only on episode 2 so far) and think there's a good chance I'll binge this all.  

I thought The Boys was solid enough that I can see why it's well-liked (did about 4 eps so far).  Might finish it eventually.  

Edited by Triskele

49 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I should clarify that my anti-Amazon Prime comment was at least in part a user error.  I struggled with the setup initially (this is remarkably shameful as it's not particular difficult, like at all), and the list of original programming is definitely better-looking than I'd initially realized.

I am diving into Patriot now and think it's right up my alley (only on episode 2 so far) and think there's a good chance I'll binge this all.  

I thought The Boys was solid enough that I can see why it's well-liked (did about 4 eps so far).  Might finish it eventually.  

Gooood, Triskele. Now, order a couple of free 2-day shipping items and your journey to the dark side will be complete. 

41 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Gooood, Triskele. Now, order a couple of free 2-day shipping items and your journey to the dark side will be complete. 

Wait, what? You only get free 2 day shipping, not next day or same day? 

9 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Wait, what? You only get free 2 day shipping, not next day or same day? 

Not where I live. Probably a logistical thing.

Finished Locke & Key. A fun little show with good visuals. I liked that the teenagers were not always following the typical moody teenager trope, but were dealing with actual trauma. The show often bounced between being delightful and dark. Unfortunately, the plot required the characters to behave stupidly at times to create suspense and drama. The ending was fairly predictable. 

Also finished my re-watch of The Clone Wars, just ahead of its final season, for which I've gotten pretty excited.

17 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Not where I live. Probably a logistical thing.

Do you live in a backwater hellhole? Or is it just the sheer size of the country? How remote are you? That sucks.

20 hours ago, Zorral said:

Thanks but not that interested because I don't believe it will be good.  If I'm wrong, it still doesn't matter!  :D

Sorry but what makes you think it wouldn’t be good. Villenueve hasn’t missed a mark yet imo but :dunno:

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Do you live in a backwater hellhole? Or is it just the sheer size of the country? How remote are you? That sucks.

I live like 20 minutes from an amazon plant or whatever and it still is always 2 day shipping. Think it’s just the size of the country idk. 

23 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Sheer size of the country, probably.

18 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Sorry but what makes you think it wouldn’t be good. Villenueve hasn’t missed a mark yet imo but :dunno:

I live like 20 minutes from an amazon plant or whatever and it still is always 2 day shipping. Think it’s just the size of the country idk. 

I often order stuff and its with me within 5 hours. That being said there is very little I order from amazon I'm desperate for. So it's the free postage rather than speed thats important. 

I randomly woke up at 2:30 this morning, so I decided to find a movie that would be easy to fall asleep to. I sought out something I knew to be bad, but hadn’t watched in a while. Maybe like 15 years. As I was watching it I wondered why the movie was so panned. The first act was fairly decent and the second act wasn’t that bad. But then the third act came and holy hell it was crap.

The movie was the late 90’s version of Godzilla.

Through the 2nd season of La Casa de Papel (Money Heist). Really really good if you suspend disbelief a little. Interested to see how they do season 3 - seems there is a bit of Prison Break in this show.

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Because Dune is so vast a canvas and population.  4 hours isn't enough.  We saw the many failures of that even more hours than that on the big screen with LOTR.  The longer time is since Jackson's LOTR the more the failures stand out, and it feels as though very little was done right.  Additionally, needing to wait a couple of years or so between the start and finish is something many of us no longer have the tolerance for as we've come to appreciate so much being able to watch as much as possible of something for as long as possible from start to finish when Netflix puts it up.

:D Of course, we both would need to take into account that I feel one of the few parts done right in LOTR was the casting of Liv Tyler as Arwen -- definitely in the minority in that opinion; I also loathe more and more the casting of Frodo and how he's interpreted in the films.