Careerchat IV

Stannis Eats No Peaches

Just now, Chataya de Fleury said:

PERFECT!!!!!

Every HR article I’ve ever seen is always about accentuating the positives on a job change, never a negative, even if it’s so minor as “the commute was an hour each way.”

Good to know!  Okay, I feel better about applying. 

These positions are usually internal, which is why I was plotting a long way to get in, so for them to be external might make it competitive.  I just got to get over my imposter's syndrome and realize that at this stage in my career for this kind of job I am incredibly competitive.  (I just need to learn their systems.  I know the resources and know how to connect with the clients of the position, those two things are the harder things to teach. )

I hope it works out for you. Before I retired I never stuck at a job for more than 12 years. As a millwright managers liked seeing a bit of movement on your resume as it meant that you had different experiences and had a chance to learn more about the trade. 

My current role is coming to an end in all likelihood. I have 2 options, a really interesting and challenging role which will pad my resume and improve promotion chances but with rubbish travel and shifts.  Or a boring admin role that is 0800-1600 Monday-Friday with WFH options. No contest. I have a nearly 3 year old, another due in June, and 15 years until retirement. I'm putting my career on hold for 5 years. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

My current role is coming to an end in all likelihood. I have 2 options, a really interesting and challenging role which will pad my resume and improve promotion chances but with rubbish travel and shifts.  Or a boring admin role that is 0800-1600 Monday-Friday with WFH options. No contest. I have a nearly 3 year old, another due in June, and 15 years until retirement. I'm putting my career on hold for 5 years. 

I have no kids and no resposibilities and even then I think I would make the same choice. I've done weird unsociable hours before and realised that there's very little in the world of work that can outweigh the benefits of a regular sleep schedule and reliably free evenings.

4 hours ago, Liffguard said:

I have no kids and no resposibilities and even then I think I would make the same choice. I've done weird unsociable hours before and realised that there's very little in the world of work that can outweigh the benefits of a regular sleep schedule and reliably free evenings.

I...have not.

On that note, flight booked, housing sorted, COVID testing entry requirements at this country presently a complicated mystery but hopefully they will get it sorted by the end of the month. Now to get the two projects I want to get moving on going through the system...

16 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I’m with you, Datepalm. There are definitely pluses and minuses to any approach, and fortunately, there are many different people in the world, so that there can be a job situation that is ideal for one person that would not be another’s cup of tea. 

I’m personally a fan of “give me travel”. I traveled for business for years and it never got old for me.

The one thing that is difficult with travel and an expense account is maintaining my waistline.

I also DID get shafted on The Previous Firm’s expense policy, since sometimes, I had to carry balances of $35k or more on my credit card because they were slow to pay. That’s about $500/month in interest charges, and they refused to pay interest. I figured “ok, I’ll take it as a deduction on my taxes”, but NO, the TCJA (Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017) eliminated the deductions for unreimbursed business expenses for employees. Grrrrr.

I'm starting to be a bit tired of all the travel, but its also very much what I signed up for and its still exciting too. I'm really not sure what I want 10 years down the road to look like, but at the moment, this works. I also usually go for 1-3 month stretches. But this one may be more like 6-12 (if I can pull it off), probably between several cities but hopefully with a relative continuity of friends, colleagues, etc in each. In a way that's a little stability.

Carrying projects on credit is definitely a thing with grad students, who often get refunded post-hoc, sometimes months later. I'm fairly lucky in that most of my small grants so far have been very hands-off, and would generally just transfer me funds up front and not really worry what I do with them so long as I come back with something. There is one now that I will need to be more careful with in terms of working against receipts, and I'm not looking forward to learning how to manage that. I'm also lucky the university just transfers a good part of my actual personal salary as a grant which comes as a lump (and sometimes mysteriously changeable) sum three times a year. I'm a very conservative financial planner, so that works for me and lets me save up easily, but it might be a nightmare for some people who really need a monthly paycheck that covers their actual living costs.  Speaking of, given that I know have some savings, I was thinking of starting a savings/pension/what? thread of some kind...the interest rate being, you know, effectively zero.

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I’m with you, Datepalm. There are definitely pluses and minuses to any approach, and fortunately, there are many different people in the world, so that there can be a job situation that is ideal for one person that would not be another’s cup of tea. 

I’m personally a fan of “give me travel”. I traveled for business for years and it never got old for me.

The one thing that is difficult with travel and an expense account is maintaining my waistline.

I also DID get shafted on The Previous Firm’s expense policy, since sometimes, I had to carry balances of $35k or more on my credit card because they were slow to pay. That’s about $500/month in interest charges, and they refused to pay interest. I figured “ok, I’ll take it as a deduction on my taxes”, but NO, the TCJA (Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017) eliminated the deductions for unreimbursed business expenses for employees. Grrrrr.

That even hit me with some of my lowly social work things, stupid TCJA.....

9 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

That sounds like the right choice for your situation at home.  Best of luck.

My son was just 9 months old when we moved from Seattle to NYC to take on a big job with a long commute and a chunk of travel.  Career-wise it was worth it at age 30 to make that investment (and since we had just become a single income family), but I didn’t see my son awake four days each week for the next three years.  I’ve avoided a long commute ever since. 

Congrats @Chataya de Fleury on the bonus payout.

I was lucky this year that my strong personal performance outweighed the COVID- driven underperformance for the firm, so I still got a big bonus payout.  My wife is ready to spend some of it on more furniture for our new house, and perhaps build a big patio + outdoor dining + outdoor grill + fire pit. 

I probably need to buy a second car fr us soon, assuming that I’ll need to start commuting to the office again at some point in the coming months.

On 1/15/2021 at 3:15 PM, Datepalm said:

I...have not.

On that note, flight booked, housing sorted, COVID testing entry requirements at this country presently a complicated mystery but hopefully they will get it sorted by the end of the month. Now to get the two projects I want to get moving on going through the system...

On 1/15/2021 at 3:28 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

I'm not opposed to traveling for work sometimes (with reasonable advance notice). It's more the day-to-day stuff where I massively appreciate having regular daytime hours, and not too many of them. Shift work very much does not agree with me.

12 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Yeah, I get that. I work on my own schedule and could not imagine someone dictating to me that I “had to” be in the office at say, 8:30 am (those situations tend not to work well for me AT ALL). 

Also not working out are situations where my boss believes that everyone must work all the time from 9-5 on our “off season” days. I had a boss whose theory was if we weren’t working from 9 or 10 am until midnight on a filing, we had to be there 9-5. I basically said “f-u” and got away with it, except my raises at that company were dismal. They also (illegally) massively shorted my final paycheck by 90%. My sweet, sweet schadenfreude occurred when that company had four different people filling that role within a year (I had been there for four years). SHOCKER that they couldn’t keep anyone, lol. The boss ended up being forced out. 

When in a physical office, I generally get there slightly before 10 am, unless there is some important meeting that requires my presence, earlier. When I’m working from home, 8:30, 9:30 start times are usual.

One of the things I like about my life at the moment is how erratic I can be. If I feel like going off and having a nervous breakdown and playing video games for three weeks, literally no one would notice and it would have no impact most of the time I've had periods where I got into a groove of writing at 5:30 in the morning in the one coffee shop that was open, I've had periods where I work from bed, there was a couple of weeks where I only showed up at the office to work on a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle I took over the empty desk next to mine with.

Come to think of it, that was just before I left for a trip and then covid hit - it might still be there.

yesterday was the first day back to indoor dining in dc. it was nice to see guests in the restaurant. we even had someone do our 18 course chef counter experience. 

i am still adapting to working in a michelin star kitchen. i carry tweezers and a tiny spatula in my apron pocket, fuss with flowers and leaves, smear various purees onto plates and take otherwise nice proteins and cut them into symmetrical blocks leaving behind various scraps for staff meal. 

there have been three meltdowns in my five months. i have succumbed to my inability to handle weak leadership, laziness and a lack integrity and yelled at my 'boss' and a couple cooks. 

the owner recognizes me as the adult in the room and a quality operator. along with my usual duties of wrangling the exec sous chef, butchery, prep, ordering, organizing the kitchen and working service he has tasked me with organizing, training and standardizing his casual cafe pickup restaurant that is across the street from us. the folks there are very receptive to me. they thrive on having pictures, lists, guides to make their job easier. and we have a second location opening next month! 

the owner is a vast dreamer with immense culinary talent and charisma. he has greater dreams for my skills. he wants a commissary kitchen, has a hotel restaurant in the works and a Mexican restaurant being proposed for investors.

it's all cool, fun and engaging. but i am doing it all at a standard salary well below what i am worth plus the added bonus of all management taking a 40% paycut during these trying times.

a good part of me just wants to walk away from it all and scrape out an existence as a culinary guerilla popping up wherever i can selling and cooking whatever i want at the moment as a vagabond chameleon. 

but, at least i am working. too many of my friends aren't. 

support your local restaurants. wear a mask. get vaccinated. be excellent to one another.

16 hours ago, MercenaryChef said:

yesterday was the first day back to indoor dining in dc. it was nice to see guests in the restaurant. we even had someone do our 18 course chef counter experience. 

i am still adapting to working in a michelin star kitchen. i carry tweezers and a tiny spatula in my apron pocket, fuss with flowers and leaves, smear various purees onto plates and take otherwise nice proteins and cut them into symmetrical blocks leaving behind various scraps for staff meal. 

there have been three meltdowns in my five months. i have succumbed to my inability to handle weak leadership, laziness and a lack integrity and yelled at my 'boss' and a couple cooks. 

the owner recognizes me as the adult in the room and a quality operator. along with my usual duties of wrangling the exec sous chef, butchery, prep, ordering, organizing the kitchen and working service he has tasked me with organizing, training and standardizing his casual cafe pickup restaurant that is across the street from us. the folks there are very receptive to me. they thrive on having pictures, lists, guides to make their job easier. and we have a second location opening next month! 

the owner is a vast dreamer with immense culinary talent and charisma. he has greater dreams for my skills. he wants a commissary kitchen, has a hotel restaurant in the works and a Mexican restaurant being proposed for investors.

it's all cool, fun and engaging. but i am doing it all at a standard salary well below what i am worth plus the added bonus of all management taking a 40% paycut during these trying times.

a good part of me just wants to walk away from it all and scrape out an existence as a culinary guerilla popping up wherever i can selling and cooking whatever i want at the moment as a vagabond chameleon. 

but, at least i am working. too many of my friends aren't. 

support your local restaurants. wear a mask. get vaccinated. be excellent to one another.

I sometimes have that burn it all down feeling too, especially at my previous place of employment.  My stress comes with the nature of the job, working with who I do.  The only thing, unless a better opportunity does arise, to not make these decisions during the pandemic market.  It is all....weird right now.

Yo people with civilian job experience. Need your advice if you would be so kind.

Is there a polite time to wait after starting a new job before requesting a raise? My initial plan was to wait 9-12 months(I've currently been here 4 months), but I'm not so sure about waiting that long anymore. Especially with all the extra things they have me doing outside of what I was initially hired for.

On 1/26/2021 at 5:48 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

3 months if they are having you - and will keep having you - do things outside the role for which you were hired.

You were hired for x at a salary of y. If they throw in z, and z is meaningful, YES, you need to have a talk about your accomplishments and expanded role and a fair additional compensation of $$.

Otherwise, you get to a pattern of where z is now normal and expected of you.

Thanks for the info. Now I just need to work up the courage.

Someone can point a gun at me, and I don’t give a shit. But getting into verbal discussions like that is scary. 

I had an interview for an internal promotion (which is amazing to me as I've not been with the organization quite 8 months). Similar format to the hiring interview: panel of 3 people, 2 questions each, each question graded on strength of response by each panel member and the recruiter. I've been exceeding expectations from nearly go and taken on a lot of the workload that this promotion would entail already. I've received excellent feedback from stakeholders outside my department. It all seems like a no-brainer, right? 

I'm terrible at interviews. I prep. I review various soft skill questions and prepare examples. I talk a lot of it out with MC. I get to the panel (of my peers) and I want to die. I cannot talk about examples of things I've done in some cases. I am extremely excellent at talking about my work product. Less great about my leadership and goal development even though they are things people remark about. I develop some sort of imposter syndrome, unable to find the words to talk myself up about non-evident things. I received a smidge of feedback some time afterwards that I do not promote in interview the level of self confidence seen day to day in doing my job and they don't get it. Welcome to the club! My only comfort is that I was similarly meh in my hiring interview but they took a chance on me. I hope that thing that strikes twice does here but we'll see, some time in the next week or so. 

I clearly need to take my interview prep deeper and more organized. Maybe seek out a professional or course of some sort. Is that a thing? My department director, who provided this bit of feedback, indicated they would have gladly worked with me in prep but I feel like that's cheating? Am I an idiot? *L*

Anyways, any suggestions for future interview prep? If this doesn't work out now I'll certainly have other opportunities in the future.

20 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Thanks for the info. Now I just need to work up the courage.

Someone can point a gun at me, and I don’t give a shit. But getting into verbal discussions like that is scary. 

If I ever end up in the private sector I expect I'll have the same experience. My entire professional life has been public sector, with established pay-scales for specific roles, and no salary negotiation at all. I suspect I'll really struggle with actively asking for money. There's a major subconscious part of me that would consider it, well, gauche.

32 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

I had an interview for an internal promotion (which is amazing to me as I've not been with the organization quite 8 months). Similar format to the hiring interview: panel of 3 people, 2 questions each, each question graded on strength of response by each panel member and the recruiter. I've been exceeding expectations from nearly go and taken on a lot of the workload that this promotion would entail already. I've received excellent feedback from stakeholders outside my department. It all seems like a no-brainer, right? 

I'm terrible at interviews. I prep. I review various soft skill questions and prepare examples. I talk a lot of it out with MC. I get to the panel (of my peers) and I want to die. I cannot talk about examples of things I've done in some cases. I am extremely excellent at talking about my work product. Less great about my leadership and goal development even though they are things people remark about. I develop some sort of imposter syndrome, unable to find the words to talk myself up about non-evident things. I received a smidge of feedback some time afterwards that I do not promote in interview the level of self confidence seen day to day in doing my job and they don't get it. Welcome to the club! My only comfort is that I was similarly meh in my hiring interview but they took a chance on me. I hope that thing that strikes twice does here but we'll see, some time in the next week or so. 

I clearly need to take my interview prep deeper and more organized. Maybe seek out a professional or course of some sort. Is that a thing? My department director, who provided this bit of feedback, indicated they would have gladly worked with me in prep but I feel like that's cheating? Am I an idiot? *L*

Anyways, any suggestions for future interview prep? If this doesn't work out now I'll certainly have other opportunities in the future.

It isn't cheating to take mentorship from your department director.  They offered because they are interested in you advancing in your career.

This is one of those things where exposure and practice can help, you might not ever be comfortable with it.  That is kind of a strength really, because it will keep you on edge and improving.  There are classes you can take, I have never done them, so I can't say how effective you are.

I know for me, it was just, instead of looking at the interview as them rating me, it is a two way street.  They need to impress me as well.  I mean, if they do a bad job, I wouldn't want to work for them, ya know.  In my head, it is more of a formal conversation, where they will be asking questions about my experience, work ethic and background.  I will be doing the same, so we can both get the measure of what we want.  That helped decrease my anxiety, and honestly, sometimes asking insightful questions gets you a second look.

“Recently, I’ve been forced to do alone an amount of work the company thought best to hire 3 people for.....”. 

Ugh..... I suck at this stuff. 

The other two people are currently out with Covid. 

Should I bring this up in the initial email? Or during the in person discussion? 

@Liffguard is right. Things are so much easier with set pay scales. 

edit: to be clear. I currently have my employer by the shorthairs. I’m just bad at being the bad guy. And the current window closes in 10 days. 

Archived