Careerchat IV

Stannis Eats No Peaches

13 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Please tell me you negotiated for more days off? 

Why is time off/annual leave in America so fucked up?  I read on average it was 10 days, does this include holidays or is it 10 days plus Christmas etc? 

10 days??

I get 34 plus 6 public holidays.

6 months full-pay sick leave, and 6 months half-pay sick leave.

Also flexi-time

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

10 days??

I get 34 plus 6 public holidays.

6 months full-pay sick leave, and 6 months half-pay sick leave.

Also flexi-time

It's unbelievable isn't it. There is not actually a legal minimum either. 

I get 30 days annual, 8-11 Bank holiday's plus 15 more days a year through compressed working (work 2x9 hour days a week). Some of my staff work 10 hour days which means they get 11 additional weeks off a year on top of their annual leave and Bank Holidays. 

It seems to me all a politician would have to do to get elected president would say 'we aren't going to work you to death anymore, minimum annual leave entitlement will be 20 days plus public holiday'.  

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Do you get routinely tested at work?

In certain roles (not mine), they could test me 'with cause' but it's not worth risking my pension for. When I get my lump sum though I'm going to Thailand for a month and getting fucked up. 

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Please tell me you negotiated for more days off? 

Why is time off/annual leave in America so fucked up?  I read on average it was 10 days, does this include holidays or is it 10 days plus Christmas etc? 

Ha. Well, I'll have vacation and personal time. But the expectation is I'll only be working 5 days a week now.  

I apologize in advance for the following rant. 

I think I need to search for a new job. Yes, I’m overthinking my career crisis and my work problems and yes I’m still having difficulties to adapt to the MNC culture, size and the extent of the bureaucracy. But really. Do I enjoy my tasks? Not exactly. Do I get satisfaction out of achievements? There are no achievements because stuff takes a 180 degree turn every other day. Do I have a chance to improve my skills in a way that furthers my personal career/life? Highly questionable. I certainly have a chance to improve my skills in order to survive in an organization like that, and I badly need that kind of improvement. But is that kind of improvement beneficial for me as a person or in terms of my own personal career outside of this organization? Definitely not, unless I plan to spend my life in an MNC, and thanks but no thanks. Do I like my team? I mean most people are nice as a person. Do I like the my team as a team to work in?  No, it’s entirely dysfunctional. Do I like my manager? I truly admire them as a professional, but in terms of people management and leadership, no. Do I like this company? No, I’m way too cynical for corporate brainwashing. Do I like my career advancement options? God save me from that. Do I like my compensation package? Yes, I’m okay with that.
So yes, at the tender age of 28, I really need to figure out what the hell I really want to do in life and grow the balls to do it, because what I’m doing now is not something I (or anybody) can or should do for a lifetime. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

In certain roles (not mine), they could test me 'with cause' but it's not worth risking my pension for. When I get my lump sum though I'm going to Thailand for a month and getting fucked up. 

Weed is still illegal in Thailand though. You're unlikely to get into serious trouble for it, but I've been told spending a night in jail and/or being asked for a bribe is not uncommon.

15 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Weed is still illegal in Thailand though. You're unlikely to get into serious trouble for it, but I've been told spending a night in jail and/or being asked for a bribe is not uncommon.

Yeah, if you are caught it's not good. But I've been to Thailand 5 times. I've never seen a police officer on the beaches of koh phangnan or koh samui. 

On 9/29/2021 at 6:45 AM, Mexal said:

I just got my first verbal offer. It’s a a tech start up that’s likely to go public in next few years. The job will be different then what I do today in an environment pretty far removed which excites me. Total comp is really only 6-20% more depending on my bonus but the RSU package is very enticing given their trajectory. I’m leaning heavily toward taking it, if anything, for a change. Been working in consulting for 10 years now and ready to move on. A little nervous though, would be fairly decent shift in career trajectory.

Plot twist, a bank is rushing me through interviews in order to get me an offer. This is more in line with my past experience and comp is significantly more. I’m tired of selling myself but been a good experience. Now to put off the other offer for another few days…

I am still waiting to learn the outcome of the interview I had 10 days ago. The hiring manager told me they'd make a decision in the next couple of days. So when it got to a week later, I contacted the recruitment manager for the organisation to outline this. They responded a day later, telling me they had yet to receive the paperwork from the hiring manager. 

I don't think I got the job because my presentation was awful (by my standards) even though the actual interview went fine, better than I expected. 

But how long are they going to keep me hanging? I plan to contact the hiring manager's PA at the start of next week if I don't hear anything on Monday. That's reasonable, isn't it?

This is somewhat belated but I haven been here for a while. I got promoted. And not just to the regular pay grade for the position I was promoted to, but with +10% because of my experience and work leading up to this. I'm so happy in the new role and I've worked in the role for just over a month now. I'm so happy, its going so well and my feedback from my manager has been great.

It did come as we started to return to the office and its a heavier workload so I'm still figuring out a healthy work-life balance but I'll figure it out soon enough.

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

This is somewhat belated but I haven been here for a while. I got promoted. And not just to the regular pay grade for the position I was promoted to, but with +10% because of my experience and work leading up to this. I'm so happy in the new role and I've worked in the role for just over a month now. I'm so happy, its going so well and my feedback from my manager has been great.

It did come as we started to return to the office and its a heavier workload so I'm still figuring out a healthy work-life balance but I'll figure it out soon enough.

Congratulations! The first month(s) in a new job can be very disorientating - I'm glad your start is going well. And a  +10% pay rise!  :cheers:

On 9/30/2021 at 3:40 PM, Mexal said:

Plot twist, a bank is rushing me through interviews in order to get me an offer. This is more in line with my past experience and comp is significantly more. I’m tired of selling myself but been a good experience. Now to put off the other offer for another few days…

Success. Got a verbal on Friday, working on written offer. Once I get that, decision is pretty much made. Feels good, not gonna lie.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 4:28 PM, Mexal said:

Success. Got a verbal on Friday, working on written offer. Once I get that, decision is pretty much made. Feels good, not gonna lie.

And just for a final update, I accepted the bank offer and will be changing jobs in December for the first time in 10 years. I'm pretty excited to join an organization that clearly wants me and a job that will intellectually challenge me again.

Archived