A Single PoV from a Secondary Character

Reekazoid

I know this has been done before, but we have a lot of new faces around here so I want to kick this off now.   If you could have a single PoV chapter from a secondary character, who would it be? I emphasize a secondary character because otherwise we get a bunch of "Howland Reed" and "Lord Varys".  I'll go first.

Ladies and gentlemen, I submit to you:

Wex, the resourceful and redoubtable Ironborn lad who survived on his own the war-torn wilds of the North, making his way on foot from Winterfell to White Harbor. He evaded capture, remained undetected by (warged) direwolves, and brought Wyman Manderly the news of Bran and Rickon's survival.  I know he Saw Things at Winterfell and along the way, which might help answer some questions I have about the Great Northern Conspiracy and the fire serpent imagery from Bran's wolf dreams.  He's got moxy, and he seems smart, learning to read and write because he is physically unable to speak. Also I just like this kid.

Greyworm or Daario would be fun. Another view (*gasp* - more eyes in Essos!) of how Daeny has been received and perceived by the more common folk of Essos would be an entertaining perspective. 

Also, it would be weird, but maybe a POV from Nymeria. Perhaps the inner monologue could be played out entirely through one of Arya's wolf dreams, or even through Bran... But having a wolf "talk" might also be kind of lame. 

I would have loved to see Lady Olenna. That'd be fun. And very informative given that the Tyrells are still much of a mystery. IF I couldn't get her, I think getting a Robb Stark POV would've been nice even though it might've taken away from Catelyn in A Storm of Swords.

I would have really enjoyed a wildling POV, particularly from the Weeper. Osha would've been cool but I think the Rickon Stark story works better with a bit of mystery. 

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the POV choices GRRM has made.

12 minutes ago, Lord Daedrunk said:

Greyworm or Daario would be fun. Another view (*gasp* - more eyes in Essos!) of how Daeny has been received and perceived by the more common folk of Essos would be an entertaining perspective. 

Also, it would be weird, but maybe a POV from Nymeria. Perhaps the inner monologue could be played out entirely through one of Arya's wolf dreams, or even through Bran... But having a wolf "talk" might also be kind of lame. 

Agreed on Grey Worm. Not so much on Daario. I find the perspective of an Unsullied, a general and a former slave to be much more interesting perspective than being a struggling sellsword who loves to have sex. I think Grey Worm can speak to the situation in Essos more powerfully.

I think we are going to get a wolf POV this upcoming book. I think Jon is going to warg into Ghost (whether he dies or not) and spend a couple chapters from Ghost's body.

1 hour ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Tyene Sand, I think it would be really cool to have a POV from inside the Faith. Plus she seems like a very smart and cunning figure.

Agreed.

I would love that.

2 hours ago, TedBear said:

Who doesn't want to know what's on LF's mind... 

2 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

I don't. I think it would jeopardize the story.

I’m with @BlackLightning on this one. I mean yeah LF’s mind would be a cornucopia of marvelous secrets and  most likely very sound investment advice, but it’d likely spoil the mystery. I put him in  there with Varys and Howland Reed on the    too much information shelf!

I would like to get Edmure's POV. He is one of the most underrated characters (both by in-book characters and the readers). It would be interesting to see how he reacts to being looked down by basically everyone around him. 

A POV from one of the Lord’s Declarant (Bronze Yohn?) would be interesting to see if they still plan to depose Baelish.

A POV to see what the Iron Isles are like with Euron in charge would be nice, since none of the Greyjoy POVs will be coming back there anytime soon. Or someone else around the ironborn, like Rodrik Harlaw?

Garlan Tyrell battling the ironmen could be good. I also think that the Florents penned up in Brightwater will surprise the Tyrells and attack them and join Euron so the POV of a Florent might be interesting. I don’t think the Florents’ story is over, since they had an entire section for their house in the appendix when they only appear about as much as the Royces or Blackwoods.

Maybe a POV from a stormlord fighting or having been defeated by the Golden Company, or one of the company soldiers? (An Estermont?, Franklyn Flowers?)

A Robett Glover POV might be alright, and we could see exactly what Manderly has been doing since the Red Wedding, though that might be giving away too much. Also, Galbart Glover and Maege Mormont were meant to meet the crannogmen and direct Robb’s army round Moat Cailin, and we still don’t know what happened to them, likely they are hiding at Greywater Watch.

A Brynden Tully POV could be interesting, he could be doing so much. Free Harrion Karstark from Maidenpool? Go to tye Vale? The North?

I would like to see one from Gendry after Arya's disappearance.  Get some info on the search, as well as some insight into the Brotherhood itself from a commoner.  I would also like to know his thoughts about Arya.

Missandei after Daenerys's disappearance would be interesting as well.  Get another view of Daenerys's actions from a freed slave, and someone very close to her.

Margaery. This girl has been married off 3 times for the sake of advancing her father's/family's ambitions. 

Willas Tyrell would also work for me, mainly because of the scorn Cersei heaps on him because he is a cripple, therefore he must be stupid too, which he clearly isn't. I'd love to know more about that friendship he had with Oberyn.

But the POV I really wanted and can't have now is Maester Aemon's. 

I would like to see a POV from Robb Stark, mostly because I have this theory that he was somehow rescued off-screen, while Grey Wind alone was killed and they stitched his head onto some random corpse conveniently hanging around. Meanwhile, Robb and his rescuer made it out of the Twins under fake names and are lying low.

Archived