A Single PoV from a Secondary Character

Reekazoid

On 25. Januar 2020 at 9:30 PM, Curled Finger said:

Most of us predict Jon and The Hound will somehow be changed when we next encounter them.   Given the harshness of The Hound, I'd like a few minutes in his head to see what really changed.  

But we wouldn't really know, would we? Since we weren't in his head before. Maybe he is just a misunderstood puppy all along tormented be shame and regret ...or a crazy monster constantly thinking about sweet it was killing all those children 

Robert, that would be both fun  and painful.

Gendry, i love the kid and i want to see how annoyed he is at people asking what his mother's hair color was again and again.

Rickon, the boy  is not even 7, he probably does not have many memories of his siblings, let alone his parents, I'd like to see how a baby sees  the fucked up world they live in.

Myrce and Tommen: I want them to tell us KL story on their view.

20 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

But we wouldn't really know, would we? Since we weren't in his head before. Maybe he is just a misunderstood puppy all along tormented be shame and regret ...or a crazy monster constantly thinking about sweet it was killing all those children 

I doubt he's a monster at all.   Sandor's actions speak louder than his words, particularly with regard to his sense of protectiveness toward little girls.  I think in his head we could get some clarification on what this anticipated change of his could be.  If you think back on your 1st read through weren't you surprised when you got to see what Cersei and Jamie and Brienne thought?   Those character thoughts illuminated so much for me.   

There are any number of secondary characters who would probably reveal more of the central mysteries than GRRM is ready to show us, yet. However, one who could potentially illustrate a number of great parallels without revealing much in that way, in my opinion, would be Bowen Marsh. I would be interested to see his internal struggles and how he views the political position at the Wall from his POV and how do they lead him to take part in Jon’s assassination. His tears to me clearly indicate some inner conflict about what they are doing. I’m also curious about his connection to Greywater  Watch. How did he arrive at the Wall? How did he rise to the level of Lord Steward? I think in some ways he could have been a mentoring figure to Jon Snow akin to Jojen and Bran or Howland and Ned but clearly that does not happen (although he is the witness to Jon’s vows before the heart tree.) 

I'm jumping on the Tyrell bandwagon too.
We really seem to be lacking a POV in their camp and would love to see more of their political maneuvering, plotting and family dynamic.

And if I can only have one POV, I'm going to go for Butterbumps. He probably sees more, hears more and knows more than anyone gives him credit for and I'd love to listen to some of the things he's overheard and/or been party to.

I would like a POV from either Meera or Jojen. Sandor would be cool too. 

Or Hodor - seriously, assuming he thinks in normal words & can express himself in his head. It would be very interesting to see how he views things around him, his struggle with being able to express himself, & what he thinks about Bran being in his mind. 

Here’s the thing, George has said he’s not doing new POVs, so the only single, minor character POVs that we wil get are epilogue and prologue.  All those characters die at the end of these chapters, so if we’re honest with ourselves, wishing for these characters to have a POV means we are wishing them to die!  

With that in mind, I would like to see an epilogue from Thoros.  The Prologue?   One of the mutineers at The wall.  Perhaps Clydas, or maybe Marsh.  Maybe the fourth person we don’t know who did it.  Any of them really.  My runner up would be Alisser Thorne killed by others and then wighted. 

23 hours ago, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

I guess I should say Marshlands not Greywater specifically. His name seems to indicate he’s from there.

And house Marsh has a sigil full of frogs, doesn’t it?  Or I’m mistaking house Marsh w/ a different house...

I actually wondered for awhile if Marsh was a bastard name but I guess they would be Snows too. It also indicates he would be of noble birth having a last name.

Well, that would be in keeping w/ Marsh, the chief bean-counter the First Steward, being so opposed to Satin being made the LC’s steward, and bringing up that certain positions are reserved for lads of noble birth. 

22 hours ago, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

I should have quoted you, so you know I responded. My reply is above. :rolleyes:

It does help. :)

4 hours ago, The Green Bard said:

Here’s the thing, George has said he’s not doing new POVs, so the only single, minor character POVs that we wil get are epilogue and prologue.  All those characters die at the end of these chapters, so if we’re honest with ourselves, wishing for these characters to have a POV means we are wishing them to die!  

With that in mind, I would like to see an epilogue from Thoros.  The Prologue?   One of the mutineers at The wall.  Perhaps Clydas, or maybe Marsh.  Maybe the fourth person we don’t know who did it.  Any of them really.  My runner up would be Alisser Thorne killed by others and then wighted. 

This thought had occurred to me, about xlogue characters dying, and thought about making the title be for a prologue epilogue POV request, but I didn’t want to slog through a bunch of “ I would choose xyz because I hate them and want them dead” type stuff haha.

I had not known about GRRM’s comment regarding new POV characters! That puts an interesting spin on the exercise indeed. 

Also something you said struck a chord- Allister Thorne, killed and wighted... from knight to wight!

Being wigthed makes you a champion of the Others, much like being knighted makes you a champion of whatever- the realm, the seven, the Vale, etc.  

Is there some literary significance in that? Where the heck is @Seams?? :D

Most of the suggestions here are interesting ones, it doesn’t matter that none will happen, does it? I mean, lots of characters people chose just know too much, or know things that are too revealing. 

If I could pick one character for a PoV it would be Bloodraven. :wub:

On 27. Januar 2020 at 9:00 PM, Curled Finger said:

I doubt he's a monster at all.   Sandor's actions speak louder than his words, particularly with regard to his sense of protectiveness toward little girls.  I think in his head we could get some clarification on what this anticipated change of his could be.  If you think back on your 1st read through weren't you surprised when you got to see what Cersei and Jamie and Brienne thought?   Those character thoughts illuminated so much for me.   

Yes, I also don't think he is a monster deep down. But given all the things, that already come out of his mouth, I think he might have some monstrous, violent thoughts and those maybe wouldn't necessarily endear me to him. But as you said actions speak louder than words (but then he has also killed a lot of people including children). But a pov after his "therapy" might be interesting.

On 28. Januar 2020 at 8:51 AM, Rose of Red Lake said:

A Sandor POV chapter is a skipped chapter. I hope he dies off page and no one ever mentions him again.

Doubt that will happen, given how often he is still spoken and thought of

I'd probably be most interested in reading a POV from the person wearing Jaqen's face. 
Due to my interest in the Faceless Men and their nebulous belief system. 

With POVs from Leaf or Wun Wun coming in a close second. Since I suspect they would be able to tell us quite a bit about what actually happened throughout history.

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

And house Marsh has a sigil full of frogs, doesn’t it?  Or I’m mistaking house Marsh w/ a different house...

Well, that would be in keeping w/ Marsh, the chief bean-counter the First Steward, being so opposed to Satin being made the LC’s steward, and bringing up that certain positions are reserved for lads of noble birth. 

It does help. :)

You are correct, it is 10 frogs on a yellow shield. I never knew that before. I never thought to look on the Wiki. I guess in my mind I thought it would be a frozen pomegranate on a field of quicksand!
   I’m not advocating for a POV from him to vindicate him for what he did, I just wonder sometimes if there’s more to his anger and to his actions than what he expresses. I also wonder if there is some significance for him being from the Marshlands and if that has any relevance to what happened or what may be coming for Jon in the supernatural or magical sense. The pomegranate does have quite a bit of mythological symbolism attached to it. I think it’s odd also that we have no backstory for Bowen at all, unlike Thorne and Slynt.

I like the idea of a Bloodraven POV too, but I think it would push GRRM to the edge. A thousand eyes in one POV! He already has trouble with the Bran POV’s if I remember correctly.

Archived