US Politics: Show Trials & Tribulations

DMC

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Though I also maintain the elitist attitude of "Everyone is so fucking dumb all the time. Let's just give all the power to the RAND Corporation and a handful of other technocrats and call it a day."

You gonna fly in a Boeing Max? Hold  Ukraine aid hostage until Rand's personal demands are met?

This is another version of make government a corporate business. Totally Trumpian mode, and how we've gotten where we are right now.

Also the only reason Johnson didn't get removed from office was that the railroad lobbyists provided so much money to bribe so many senators, and particularly that single vote by which conviction was lost.  The bribery bought senators who then could also dangle offices, appointments and other favors to other senators.  And threats too.  That's what we've got right now.  Tech corps will only make it worse.

~~~~~~~~

Evidently the best way to get your message through, whatever it may be, is the Bloomberg Way: Spend a Billion of Mine Very Own Money to Blanket the Voters With What I Want Them To Know.  I wish he'd do that about trump's plans for Medicare and Social Security.

~~~~~~~~

As far as voting by mail -- trump is also working to privatize the post office, which will then be part of that government like a corporation.  My, how easy it is to lose mail -- or make it too expensive to use.  This is the intent, along with, he thinks, putting Amazon out of business.

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

You gonna fly in a Boeing Max? Hold  Ukraine aid hostage until Rand's personal demands are met?

This is another version of make government a corporate business. Totally Trumpian mode, and how we've gotten where we are right now.

I'd argue that government as it currently exists is what has gotten people so disillusioned with the public sector that they want to blow it all up and elect Trump.

That plus racism.

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Two of the past four presidents have been impeached, and partisanship is only getting worse.  I fully expect that we'll see another impeachment or two in my lifetime.  IMO the only reason that Obama wasn't impeached* was because Republicans felt that impeaching Clinton hurt them electorally so they wouldn't entertain it.  If they thought it was merely neutral, let alone a political winner, then they would have gone for it. 

* Interesting thought exercise, what would they have impeached Obama for?  Benghazi? Fast and Furious? Saluting with a coffee cup in your hand?  My money would be on executive overreach for the DREAM act.

I don't think it would've been about the Dreamers. Back in the day (in a time far far away) that was the GOP of McCain and Romney, where the racism was tangible but not as prevalent as it is now. But there they followed the Rove idea of increasing their voting base and reaching out to minorities - and some path to citizenship in some shape or form was not really the partisan issue it is now. The renaissance of open racism is really a Trumpian thing.

Overreach over Obamacare, that I could buy into.

21 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Overreach over Obamacare, that I could buy into.

The problem is that Obamacare was passed as law, and Obama's implementation of it wasn't particularly controversial.  What are they going to do, charge him with dereliction of duty because the Obamacare website keeps crashing? 

That was why I chose the DREAMers, which was something that many Republicans didn't have problem with as a goal, they were just super pissed that the President can be so open/systematic about selectively enforcing the law, which gives him the ability to de facto make certain laws no longer laws at all.  I'll be honest, it makes me a nervous too, even though I support the goals of the DREAM act 100%. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Two of the past four presidents have been impeached, and partisanship is only getting worse.  I fully expect that we'll see another impeachment or two in my lifetime.  IMO the only reason that Obama wasn't impeached* was because Republicans felt that impeaching Clinton hurt them electorally so they wouldn't entertain it.  If they thought it was merely neutral, let alone a political winner, then they would have gone for it. 

* Interesting thought exercise, what would they have impeached Obama for?  Benghazi? Fast and Furious? Saluting with a coffee cup in your hand?  My money would be on executive overreach for the DREAM act.

Clearly it would be over the Grumpy Cat thing.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So the EPA now does the biddings of whatever large paymasters (developers) desire?

New York Times: EPA to finalize rule that removes protections for streams and wetlands

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/23/politics/trump-epa-repeals-obama-water-regulation/index.html

They should be forced to change their name, this is no environmental "protection" agency.

It's been like this since the start of his presidency. They have rolled back every rule put in place by the EPA to protect the environment due to developer demands.

While it's fun to throw out all the retrospective possibilities on how the GOP would've impeached Obama, the fact they couldn't find anything that even they would think would be politically palatable as a basis for impeachment is quite the testament to the competence and "cleanliness" (I can't think of a good term right now for "avoidance of scandals") of his administration.

In somewhat surprising news, Trump has agreed to join the 1 trillion trees initiative (I guess because they dont cause....stump cancer? Who knows. Maybe its because trees are not politically fraught). I suggest we not look this gift horse in the mouth.

Of course, other initiatives are also necessary, but lets not let the perfect be the enemy of good.

11 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

In somewhat surprising news, Trump has agreed to join the 1 trillion trees initiative (I guess because they dont cause....stump cancer? Who knows. Maybe its because trees are not politically fraught). I suggest we not look this gift horse in the mouth.

Of course, other initiatives are also necessary, but lets not let the perfect be the enemy of good.

Probably something like being able to get volunteers to plant trees at the edges of his golf courses to better seclude them from the peasants outside.

Archived