US Politics: Show Trials & Tribulations

DMC

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

If it's a 50/50 split, I'm not even totally sure what happens.  Does Roberts cast the tiebreaker?  I know Pence does not.  Or is it a motion which requires a majority to pass, and thus 50 votes is a failure?

1 hour ago, Fez said:

I don't know what happens in a 50-50 tie in this case.

In the case of a 50-50 tie, yes, Roberts as the presiding officer could break it - he rather clearly has that power.  Would he?  Almost certainly not.  Not only because of his politics but because how he views his role as Chief Justice.  No way he's gonna be the deciding vote on that, so practically speaking, they need 51 votes.  See here (WaPo so paywall/limited clicks warning) for details:

In any other setting besides the trial of the president, a 50-50 Senate tie would be broken by the vice president, who under Senate rules occupies the position of “presiding officer” in an impeachment trial. But the chief justice fills that role in the case of a presidential impeachment, which raises questions about whether he should behave any differently.

Many have argued that the chief justice will play a strictly honorary role at the trial, with no substantive input whatsoever. Under this view, the 50-50 tie would equate to a “no” vote, since the motion failed to gain a majority. Therefore, any effort to add to the evidence would require four maverick Republicans to succeed.

5 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I'm reading it now.  Confession, I haven't known who Rogan is / was.  I pay just about zero attention to such people's existence.  I've always known Rush Limbaugh though -- he's seems to have been around since before I was born or something, and he was always on the car radio, like some others.  But most of these clowns emerging out of the slime and scum of the national landfill that passes for a national intelligence these days, aren't even names I recognize.  I'm so mainstream when it comes to news!  :D

I wouldn't compare Rogan to Limbaugh.  Rogan is quite the generalist, he talks about politics because he talks about everything, like sports and entertainment and tech and whatever.  It's possible to be a fan of Rogan and not be particularly fond of or interested in his politics. 

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I wouldn't compare Rogan to Limbaugh.  Rogan is quite the generalist, he talks about politics because he talks about everything, like sports and entertainment and tech and whatever.  It's possible to be a fan of Rogan and not be particularly fond of or interested in his politics. 

You’d have to possess a pretty thick skin on the whole ‘woke culture is one of the greatest evils in the world today’ idiocy that he brings into virtually every discussion, though. Myself, I don’t have that skin.

8 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

You’d have to possess a pretty thick skin on the whole ‘woke culture is one of the greatest evils in the world today’ idiocy that he brings into virtually every discussion, though. Myself, I don’t have that skin.

I have never cared for Joe Rogan.  I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of his fans out there who don't consider him a particularly political figure, which is very different from someone like Limbaugh. 

15 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

You mean like Howard Stern?  Who insisted his only real objective was to outrage the certain sorts that those who made up most of his audience adored to see outraged?  (He seems to have gotten some sort of damacine revelation in these later years, s he's repudiated a lot of his previous ideas, announcements and stances.  Or he just may have sense #MeToo coming and decided to get out of the skillet before someone probably rightly decided to put his feet in the fire. 

Anyway, I guess the point I'm trying to get to, is a lot of people liked Stern and went on his show who supposedly weren't like him -- including Hillary. b 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/05/politics/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-howard-stern/index.html

:dunno:

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I have never cared for Joe Rogan.  I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of his fans out there who don't consider him a particularly political figure, which is very different from someone like Limbaugh. 

However, Limbaugh and his supporters insist he's not political -- merely a comedian and entertainer too. Feh.

Also few racists and women haters consider themselves to be either, too.

31 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

That is a good article. Deontological vs consequentialist thinking - it's like a Good Place episode.

I'm not familiar with the reference...

26 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I'm reading it now.  Confession, I haven't known who Rogan is / was.  I pay just about zero attention to such people's existence.  I've always known Rush Limbaugh though -- he's seems to have been around since before I was born or something, and he was always on the car radio, like some others.  But most of these clowns emerging out of the slime and scum of the national landfill that passes for a national intelligence these days, aren't even names I recognize.  I'm so mainstream when it comes to news!  :D

Rogan's following is a miserable collection, I tend to think. I used to listen to him because I was into comedians' podcasts for awhile, but his position are pretty barbarian, and he has a massive following. Typically, Rogan has on controversial guests and just "talks" and claims he doesn't take a side, and he's open to all conversations, but I'd imagine if you went down the lineup of his guests, the percentage of problematic hosts would easily outweigh viewpoints that are more...sane? 

I will give Rogan this. He is extremely malleable. When he had Bernie come on, he listened with a completely open mind (it seems), though he's decried Bernie in the past. Rogan's kind of that guy who agrees with people he most recently conversed, and if he has a string of similar arguments presented to him, he tends to incorporate it into his being.

Rogan's legion of fans aren't Sanders fans, but who knows? They may just become Sanders supporters to be contrarian to their greatest fears like the mythical feminazis who want to destroy "masculinity."

25 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

This is true. If you love hunting and MMA, then Rogan has years of content you could listen to without politics, I suppose.

Edit: But as I consider this, MMA is the heart of Rogan's trans-phobic rants, and given that his interviews typically are three hours, I'm sure plenty of tangential ideas are explored.

If we're looking at racism, bigotry, and generally being the Mouth of Sauron as a spectrum, Rogan does not even approach Limbaugh.  I frankly was surprised the whole Rogan thing caused such an uproar - and then even more surprised that his podcast is, like, one of the most popular in the world.  Really?  The idiot from Newsradio that hosted Fear Factor has that much of a political influence?  This is why the whole thing confused me from the get-to - why was Bernie's camp touting an endorsement from this douche?  So, now that I know how popular Rogan is, I do get the outrage.  I don't think Bernie should be trying to associate with Rogan and his history of asshole shock jock comments in any way.

7 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I'm not familiar with the reference...

The Good Place is a show on NBC (which coincidentally is ending its four season run this Thursday).  It is IMO the best show on television and features a great deal of philosophy and ethics, including entire episodes devoted to subjects like consequentialism.  It is also very funny. 

6 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

This is true. If you love hunting and MMA, then Rogan has years of content you could listen to without politics, I suppose.

Yeah, the one person who has mentioned Rogan to me recommended him as "he talks about sports, and he's funny." Which, if I didn't know more about Rogan, sounds like a podcast I would like. 

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

The best play at this time would be for people From Gardner/Collins/McSallys' constituencies to jam up their phone lines.

Hey, I'm doing what I can with Ernst! I mean, I don't have much hope. but that shouldn't stop me from banging my head into a wall, right?

1 minute ago, Gertrude said:

Hey, I'm doing what I can with Ernst! I mean, I don't have much hope. but that shouldn't stop me from banging my head into a wall, right?

I wonder if it would work better to call these Senate offices and claim to be a Republican who wants to hear witnesses because you're 100% sure Trump didn't do anything wrong anyway, so they should let the facts come out. 

Because I somehow doubt that people like Ernst or Tillis particularly care about Democrats amongst their constituency. 

4 hours ago, DMC said:

While it's true both Romney and Collins have made pretty damn solid public statements in terms of position taking, I'm still very skeptical they'll get to 51 on Bolton or any other witness.

Ya, who wants their head on a pike?

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Rage is one possibility. It’s interesting, though, that of all possible outlets for rage, he chooses going down the one the path Bolton has been begging to go down since his senior prom. 

Think of it this way.

” I’ll show that fuckin’ pansy Bolton, I have more fuckin’ balls than any of the fuckin’ asshole presidents he ever fuckin’ worked for, I’ll fuckin’ take out that shit head from shit hole Iran, fuck I will. That’ll show him!”

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I wonder if it would work better to call these Senate offices and claim to be a Republican who wants to hear witnesses because you're 100% sure Trump didn't do anything wrong anyway, so they should let the facts come out. 

Because I somehow doubt that people like Ernst or Tillis particularly care about Democrats amongst their constituency. 

I'm an independent, so more cache than a Dem, but not tricksy like you suggest.

50 minutes ago, DMC said:

If we're looking at racism, bigotry, and generally being the Mouth of Sauron as a spectrum, Rogan does not even approach Limbaugh.  I frankly was surprised the whole Rogan thing caused such an uproar - and then even more surprised that his podcast is, like, one of the most popular in the world.  Really?  The idiot from Newsradio that hosted Fear Factor has that much of a political influence?  This is why the whole thing confused me from the get-to - why was Bernie's camp touting an endorsement from this douche?  So, now that I know how popular Rogan is, I do get the outrage.  I don't think Bernie should be trying to associate with Rogan and his history of asshole shock jock comments in any way.

A lot of half-bright douchebros, the kind who say they "don't see race" and tend to call themselves libertarian, take Rogan very seriously.

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

A lot of half-bright douchebros, the kind who say they "don't see race" and tend to call themselves libertarian, take Rogan very seriously.

Yeah I knew that was his schtick beforehand, I just had no idea how popular he was.  In that case, it makes perfect sense for people to get outraged about associating with Rogan.  And I don't think it has much to do with some "deontological vs. consequentialism" argument like Mathews' Vox piece argues.  Nobody cared about Hillary's relationship with Kissinger in 2016.  Lots of people, apparently (and sadly, and to me bafflingly) care about what Rogan thinks.  That's the problem.

i don't get the insistence on purity in a candidate's electorate. am thinking that if someone with whom i disagree vehemently on important policy preferences nevertheless supports my preferred candidate, that's unequivocally a good thing, a fortiori when the ultimate opponent is the current president?

Archived