US Politics: Show Trials & Tribulations

DMC

Somewhat dishearteningly, I do have AA friends who are fine with not voting for sanders knowing full well that it would lead to another 4 years of trump. I'll try and spend some time to convince them if that ends up being an issue, but there are a good amount of AA people who are absolutely sick of Sanders and the Rogan thing was one of the final nails. 

10 hours ago, Triskele said:

My question is this:

After Trump wins re-election in 2020 how long does it take before they take whatever moves to make sure he never has to leave whether that's changing the constitution or whatever?  Maybe like February?  A few weeks after the inauguration?  

He won't, he can't just change the constitution, and no way gets an amendment passed or even has the focus to get the process started beyonf the most superficial measures.  

38 minutes ago, Darzin said:

He won't, he can't just change the constitution, and no way gets an amendment passed or even has the focus to get the process started beyonf the most superficial measures.  

Counterpoint - he can cancel elections in the face of a national emergency and the courts would be strongly in his favor. 

11 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Counterpoint - he can cancel elections in the face of a national emergency and the courts would be strongly in his favor. 

Has there ever been a nationwide US election that was cancelled? There were elections during both World Wars and even during the Civil War. Also, there is nothing in the Constitution that says any branch of government can cancel elections. I'd be extremely surprised if anyone tried to make such an argument; they'd almost certainly be laughed out of court.

22 minutes ago, Altherion said:

they'd almost certainly be laughed out of court.

you have a touching faith in courts packed with his own appointees, who neither know nor care about law, only doing what their master wants.

Trump's Alzheimer's will be advanced to the point where he will be unable to 'pass as normal' by this time next year - and that assumes he dodges a fatal 'cardiac event' before then.  Even his rabid fans will notice issues.  Which brings up the question: if Trump is mentally incompetent, impeachment is not an option, then who is actually running the country?   

On 1/24/2020 at 5:17 PM, Simon Steele said:

It's not about purity tests. It's about if they're out to help the people who need help. I think this argument about "purity" is a simple way of dismissing suffering and need from people. 

Would not any of the Democratic candidates help people in need more than Trump?

Would your unrealistic demands not help reelect Trump?

24 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Would not any of the Democratic candidates help people in need more than Trump?

Would your unrealistic demands not help reelect Trump?

My "demands" for people getting a fair shot like in previous generations? Got ya. Your insistence on the moderate seems the purity test to me. I'm just asking for people to quit getting stomped, and the Dems largely have done nothing to help since before Clinton. So, if purity is about helping people getting fucked over, then I guess I'll take purity over whatever it is you want.

I'm willing to agree with anyone when they stumble onto a correct position.

https://www.ccn.com/president-trump-just-delivered-a-death-blow-to-amazon/

I think holding Amazon to more accountability is a net positive, so bravo to this horrid administration for getting something right. (Slow clapping)

"This president, as you know, he's going to take acquittal and think, 'I can keep doing this,'" Todd said.

"No, I don't think that," Braun replied. "Hopefully it'll be instructive."

"I think he'll put two and two together," the Indiana Republican added. "In this case, he was taken to the carpet."

GOP senator: ‘Hopefully’ Trump will learn lessons from impeachment
“I think he’ll put two and two together,” Sen. Mike Braun said. “In this case, he was taken to the carpet.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/26/braun-trump-impeachment-learn-105262

What he's going to take away from this is what he brought to it: "I can do everything I want because I am I."

Thinking anything else will be the result is insanity.

Just like thinking his dementia will manifest publicly and people will lose faith in him.  He shows his dementia every single moment of single day and has for years.  So stop being silly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.thedailybeast.com/des-moines-register-editorial-board-endorses-elizabeth-warren-days-before-iowa-caucuses?

The Des Moines Register's editorial board announced its endorsement of Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) on Saturday night, nine days before the Iowa caucus. The newspaper wrote that Warren was “not the radical some perceive her to be” and said she champions views that would put America back on track—like making climate change a top priority, protecting children from gun violence, and treating immigrants with compassion. “Those ideas are not radical. They are right,” the newspaper's editorial board wrote. The Register also applauded Warren's push for “fair markets,” rather than an economy that was “corrupted by cash.” “She believes government should actively work to prevent and respond to abusive practices that jeopardize individuals and the country’s economy,” the editorial board wrote....

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

What he's going to take away from this is what he brought to it: "I can do everything I want because I am I."

Thinking anything else will be the result is insanity.

Just like thinking his dementia will manifest publicly and people will lose faith in him.  He shows his dementia every single moment of single day and has for years.  So stop being silly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.thedailybeast.com/des-moines-register-editorial-board-endorses-elizabeth-warren-days-before-iowa-caucuses?

Trumps dementia has yet to be made into a major campaign issue

the insanity and hate continues:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-s-spiritual-adviser-called-for-all-satanic-pregnancies-to-miscarry-it-was-a-metaphor-she-says/ar-BBZlo0n?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580&fbclid=IwAR1cdPGlM35_ClSe827d6iwXSNeaVCv5P4hJVjr3seEAIYBhDx9kQDG8-EY

A Florida pastor and longtime spiritual adviser to President Trump says she was speaking in metaphor when she recently prayed in a sermon for all “satanic pregnancies” to end in miscarriage.

13 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Trump's Alzheimer's will be advanced to the point where he will be unable to 'pass as normal' by this time next year - and that assumes he dodges a fatal 'cardiac event' before then.  Even his rabid fans will notice issues.  Which brings up the question: if Trump is mentally incompetent, impeachment is not an option, then who is actually running the country?   

That’s what Section 3 of the 25th amendment was designed to address.

20 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Under the same vague “emergency powers act” he used to pay for the Wall?

As far as I can see, this idea that he can cancel elections is a fantasy. Here is a report from the Congressional Review Service that indicates that the presidency does not currently have such a power, and would require statutes at the federal or at individual state levels to be able to exercise this, as the power to postpone elections in case of emergencies is constitutionally vested with Congress and no statues exist that can be construed to have delegated that authority to the President.

This wouldn't stop someone who corruptly made the assertion that  some statute already gives him that authority, I suppose, but it would be a tremendous storm of protest and outrage.

A more realistic, but still corrupt, usage of Presidential emergency powers was covered in The Atlantic.

So the current discussion appears to be another round of Trump somehow canceling elections and the Grim Reaper's..I mean ThinkerX's gross speculation on the health of all our old presidential candidates.  It's gonna be one of those days, huh?

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

As far as I can see, this idea that he can cancel elections is a fantasy. Here is a report from the Congressional Review Service that indicates that the presidency does not currently have such a power, and would require statutes at the federal or at individual state levels to be able to exercise this, as the power to postpone elections in case of emergencies is Constitutionally vested with Congress and no statues exist that can be construed to have delegated that authority to the President.

This wouldn't stop someone who corruptly made the assertion that  some statute already gives him that authority, I suppose, but it would be a tremendous storm of protest and outrage.

Oh, I entirely agree.  That doesn’t mean Trump wouldn’t try it.  

Trump’s audacity and the Trumpanista habit of cheering that on regardless of their “fear Government overreach” platitudes never cease to surprise me.  Every time I think he has gone too far he takes another step and the Trumpanistas keep cheering.  

:(

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

So the current discussion appears to be another round of Trump somehow canceling elections and the Grim Reaper's..I mean ThinkerX's gross speculation on the health of all our old presidential candidates.  It's gonna be one of those days, huh?

Realism.  The leading contenders are old.  Old people can and do drop dead for any reason.  Which is why this time around the selection of Vice Presidential candidates will be far more interesting than in past cycles.

Archived