Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DMC

US Politics: Show Trials & Tribulations

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

You literally said warren wasnt a progressive like 4 days ago! 

After the debates, everyone was pretty wound up. For me to say Warren isn't a progressive isn't fair, and aside from that moment (which I agree, was a bad moment), I have supported her consistently, and many times, I have liked her way more than Bernie. I like her flexibility, her willingness to think issues through and take in new information, and everything I said to Mormont about her shift in Republican ideology is true as well. I have been annoyed about the "private" Bernie conversation, and the way she dealt with it seemed to be politically motivated, and because she is consistently not doing things like that, it really irked me. I'm over it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sologdin said:

sounds like a pynchon character: meatball mulligan, pig bodine, genghis cohen, webb traverse, zephyr teachout.

Holy shit, there's a Genghis Cohen restaurant in my area that I'd assumed was just some clever Asian/Jewish fusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Ormond,

Ever hear of the fairly famous Judge “Learned Hand”.  I always felt like he was destined for the bench based upon his name.

See also the UK example of Igor Judge, formerly Lord Judge, now Baron Judge,  one time President of the Court of Appeal Queen’s Bench Division.

(And an alumni of my uni as it happens. Had the pleasure of meeting him. Lovely man)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Holy shit, there's a Genghis Cohen restaurant in my area that I'd assumed was just some clever Asian/Jewish fusion.

I guess it's a restaurant serving that food, but mostly I knew it as a music venue. A friend of mine played a show or two there years and years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DMC said:

In terms of this dichotomy, one of the main takeaways from my findings across all three papers is that agencies that are more politicized have significantly more influence or "success"* compared to agencies that are more centralized.  (And there is an identifiable tradeoff between the two.)  While this is not the same thing as agency "effectiveness" or positive policy outcomes, which is what you're getting at, it is highly correlated.

Thanks for sharing DMC.  From my own experiences, this rings true.  I'd just add that a lack of existing (or active) political appointees also limits an administration's input into agency policy as well.  Given the broad authorizing legislation of many agencies, these policy choices are often far more impactful than what is passed through congress.  I'd love to type up a more detailed response for my own catharsis, but posting detailed information on a public message board is not a particularly bright act for a Fed.  I read the forum almost daily, but rarely ever post for that reason.

Its actually pretty eye rolling reading some of the heated debates on this board regarding an issue I was directly involved in =) (Usually the debates break down on ideological grounds and both sides are way off the mark.  Hint: the policy choices and agency activities you see in the news (success or failure) rarely have much to do with ideology or who is in the White House.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

I don't think this is true, Mormont. I think it has been true of this election for a small few, but I am a Sanders supporter who feels little "loyalty" to him over someone like Warren. Warren is facing some scrutiny from segments of Sanders' base about Warren, but I think that has to be a minority. 

Other than Warren and Sanders, other progressive candidates seem in thin supply. The problem to me seems that many politicians have branded themselves as such, but recent history would suggest otherwise.

See, rather than refute the point, you're really demonstrating it. You're subscribing to a definition of 'progressive' that excludes everyone but Sanders and Warren. That simply isn't a reasonable interpretation of the term. It's reflective of a recent trend on the left to claim that term for themselves, and label anyone else a 'centrist' - and then to talk about 'centrists' as basically just right-wingers.

On any reasonable definition of the term, most of the candidates (if not all) in the Democratic primary are progressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mormont said:

See, rather than refute the point, you're really demonstrating it. You're subscribing to a definition of 'progressive' that excludes everyone but Sanders and Warren. That simply isn't a reasonable interpretation of the term. It's reflective of a recent trend on the left to claim that term for themselves, and label anyone else a 'centrist' - and then to talk about 'centrists' as basically just right-wingers.

On any reasonable definition of the term, most of the candidates (if not all) in the Democratic primary are progressive.

I agree--progressive in how I talk about it is very much about the current capitalist structure, and candidates who aren't interested in that (in some ways, looking backwards to FDR), then I don't consider them progressive. I posted an article yesterday about this. Centrist/moderates have moved to the right by historic measures. That's just the way it is in the U.S. right now.

If your point is that moderate candidates like Biden or Klobuchar are progressive, I will militantly disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

The outcry over Joe Rogan endorsing (slightly) Bernie is hilarious. 

I can only imagine. Rogan's fans were introduced to Jordan Peterson through his podcast, and they now worship at the Doctor's alter. And Peterson will have nothing to do with these "Marxist-postmodern" extremists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I agree--progressive in how I talk about it is very much about the current capitalist structure, and candidates who aren't interested in that (in some ways, looking backwards to FDR), then I don't consider them progressive. I posted an article yesterday about this. Centrist/moderates have moved to the right by historic measures. That's just the way it is in the U.S. right now.

If your point is that moderate candidates like Biden or Klobuchar are progressive, I will militantly disagree.

You've got to lower your bar, man. You can't have a big tent party and have purity tests at the same time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fez said:

I personally would be worse off with M4A, I'd have higher taxes and no reduction in health care costs

You'd really let your employer get away with not giving you a massive raise to make up for the insurance premiums they're no longer paying? That should be an essential component of M4A - employers must be legally required to replace withdrawn insurance with other compensation of equal value (or allow employees to choose between insurance and cash if private insurance continues to exist).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting to see the Bloomberg is now in fourth on RCP's national aggregate poll. While I ultimately think he's just setting his money on fire, I must admit his advertising has been really solid. He's doing a great job at casting himself as both progressive and practical while nuking Trump left and right. I'd actually consider supporting him if not for, yeah know, the whole racist policing policy thingy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You've got to lower your bar, man. You can't have a big tent party and have purity tests at the same time. 

It's not about purity tests. It's about if they're out to help the people who need help. I think this argument about "purity" is a simple way of dismissing suffering and need from people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, felice said:

You'd really let your employer get away with not giving you a massive raise to make up for the insurance premiums they're no longer paying? That should be an essential component of M4A - employers must be legally required to replace withdrawn insurance with other compensation of equal value (or allow employees to choose between insurance and cash if private insurance continues to exist).

I've thought about this, and my cynical side sees this as not happening. I have a friend who makes this point as a reason to not get M4A (all the unions negotiated for the shitty health insurance they have). I agree with that. But in education, I can't imagine teachers' salaries going up to compensate. This is just another argument people might use against M4A. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Simon Steele said:

It's not about purity tests. It's about if they're out to help the people who need help. I think this argument about "purity" is a simple way of dismissing suffering and need from people. 

And yet you dismiss things like ACA and the Lily Ledbetter fair pay act as not doing enough or not helping enough, and appear to be entirely dismissive of anyone who does not want to help in precisely the way that you believe is the only way forward. Furthermore, you aren't willing to help some people more; you're desiring only a total solution or nothing at all, and would rather be a fighter that wins nothing instead of compromise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ormond said:

OK, not that you were seriously asking, but as a name expert I can answer that. :)

Heh, appreciate the response!  For me, Zephyr connotes Zephyrhills in terms of the water bottle company.  Looking it up, seems that's Florida based, so that must be where I'm getting that from (when I lived in Orlando). 

Also, your mentioning of "hippy" names made me think of an amusing anecdote.  A few years back my department hired a professor named "Jae-Jae."  She started over the summer when I had to take comps (comprehensive exams) and she was one of the two evaluators for the political behavior portion of my comps.  I interacted via email with her a few times before meeting her in person, and I just assumed based on the name she was of Asian heritage/ethnicity.  Then when I did meet her, nope, your regular caucasian from Michigan.  Few months later I was in my diss chair's office talking about things - and he is very socially awkward - so she pops in to have brief small talk, and my diss chair is like "hey, where did the name Jae-Jae come from?"  She just kinda shrugs and says "my parents were a couple of hippies."

6 hours ago, sologdin said:

hey, congrats! good luck on the defense thereof.  was gonna ask initially how your thesis works with the old iron triangle idea, but i see your later paragraphs get into that. can we get maybe an iron mobius strip that cuts out the lobbyists and lobbyists-turned-market-stalinist-bureaucrat?

Thanks, appreciate it!  Got some time til the defense, will be some time in April when everyone can get together.  And yeah, it would be nice to institute/codify more firm rules against regulatory capture and the revolving door.

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

You literally said warren wasnt a progressive like 4 days ago! 

Hey man, a lot can change in 4 days!

8 hours ago, Fez said:

Interesting. Thanks.

2 hours ago, horangi said:

Thanks for sharing DMC. 

Interesting responses, I'll get back to you both.  Don't wanna say I'm too drunk to respond - cuz that'd be wildly inconsistent with past behavior - but I'm just spent right now.  Never had to lecture for 5 hours in one day before, but that's Fridays for me this semester.  I'm so sick of my own voice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Few months later I was in my diss chair's office talking about things - and he is very socially awkward - so she pops in to have brief small talk, and my diss chair is like "hey, where did the name Jae-Jae come from?"  She just kinda shrugs and says "my parents were a couple of hippies."

This is almost verbatim what I tell people what the origin of my name is, and I usually say "and I got really lucky, it could have been a LOT worse"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

And yet you dismiss things like ACA and the Lily Ledbetter fair pay act as not doing enough or not helping enough, and appear to be entirely dismissive of anyone who does not want to help in precisely the way that you believe is the only way forward. Furthermore, you aren't willing to help some people more; you're desiring only a total solution or nothing at all, and would rather be a fighter that wins nothing instead of compromise. 

Cool mind reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Simon Steele said:

Cool mind reading.

Nope, just reading. Again, this is stuff you said a few days ago, to me, about my son. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's interesting to see the Bloomberg is now in fourth on RCP's national aggregate poll. While I ultimately think he's just setting his money on fire, I must admit his advertising has been really solid. He's doing a great job at casting himself as both progressive and practical while nuking Trump left and right. I'd actually consider supporting him if not for, yeah know, the whole racist policing policy thingy.

I've seen the argument, and I find it somewhat compelling, that Bloomberg isn't trying to win at all (though he'd happily become the moderate safeguard if Biden fell apart). Instead, Bloomberg wants to attack Trump, which is what almost all his ads have been doing. As a candidate Bloomberg gets cheaper ad rates, and he can't be dismissed as someone taking potshots from the outside.

This read is in line with his promise to spend a huge amount regardless of who the nominee is; he wants to bring down Trump at all costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...