What would it take for a TV show set in space to become as big of a cultural phenomenon as Game of Thrones?

NickGOT456

We have had a space revival. Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy earned millions at the box office. The Expanse has been saved and we are getting multiple Star Trek series. We are also getting a new Battlestar Galactica and Amazon is making a series based on the Iain M. Banks Culture novels.

Fantasy was once a genre reserved for geeks but Game of Thrones has made swords and dragons acceptable to be into in today's society.

What would a series in a space setting have to be like to do what Game of Thrones did for fantasy? Something that gets viewers excited for the future!

Is the Mass Effect the ideal universe and characters that should be bought to TV? Or would mainstream audiences prefer something different?

Isn't there still a stigma that there is too much technobabble and no romance in the sci fi genre?

HBO to make one and the vital factor of nudity, swearing and violence which appeals on a base level but also helps convince casual viewers that they aren't watching something for kids which is often the kneejerk reaction to SF.

6 hours ago, felice said:

It's that time again already?!? :o

Are the floodgates opening? 

1 hour ago, red snow said:

HBO to make one and the vital factor of nudity, swearing and violence which appeals on a base level but also helps convince casual viewers that they aren't watching something for kids which is often the kneejerk reaction to SF.

Are the floodgates opening? 

No, he made a very similar post around a year ago. It didn't go well and neither did the discussions that followed.

I've said it before: HBO adapting The Night's Dawn Trilogy is a match so made in heaven it's astonishing it's not already been done.

56 minutes ago, baxus said:

Star Trek was and still is much more of a cultural phenomenon than Game of Thrones.

In terms of longevity, yes. In terms of actual viewership, no. No SF show - not even Doctor Who at the height of its popularity in the late 1970s and late 2000s - has ever achieved half the viewership of GoT. The only one to come close I think is The X-Files, and that show's SF credentials are hazy at best.

2 hours ago, baxus said:

Star Trek was and still is much more of a cultural phenomenon than Game of Thrones.

Disagree entirely. Star Trek has never been THE show on television in the US let alone the world. GOT was exactly that and it was THE show for more than a year. Now, Star Trek has had long lasting implications and a larger universe as a result but never has it had the same impact. A year or two ago you couldn't visit any entertainment website, talk show, magazine without a GOT mention.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Disagree entirely. Star Trek has never been THE show on television in the US let alone the world. GOT was exactly that and it was THE show for more than a year. Now, Star Trek has had long lasting implications and a larger universe as a result but never has it had the same impact. A year or two ago you couldn't visit any entertainment website, talk show, magazine without a GOT mention.

It'll be interesting to see how the Picard show does in terms of capturing Media attention but i completely agree with you when considering "discovery" and it's exposure compared to GOT.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

I've said it before: HBO adapting The Night's Dawn Trilogy is a match so made in heaven it's astonishing it's not already been done.

In terms of longevity, yes. In terms of actual viewership, no. No SF show - not even Doctor Who at the height of its popularity in the late 1970s and late 2000s - has ever achieved half the viewership of GoT. The only one to come close I think is The X-Files, and that show's SF credentials are hazy at best.

I guess HBO have been dipping their toes into SF with Westworld and avenue5 so maybe the next step is to go full on space opera?

I've only read the first of isn McDonald's "luna" trilogy but that seemed a match made in heaven for a SF GOT HBO venture. I think the cover blurb even said "like GOT on the moon" and for a change the comparison was warranted instead of just a sales gimmick. It even had HBO levels of sex and nudity preinstalled

4 minutes ago, red snow said:

I guess HBO have been dipping their toes into SF with Westworld and avenue5 so maybe the next step is to go full on space opera?

Does "The Outsider" count as SF? It's a Stephen King adaptation? Im not a buff so I don't know the correct terminology or classification.

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

No, he made a very similar post around a year ago. It didn't go well and neither did the discussions that followed.

He's been making similar topics at least once a year for five years now. And never ever actually adds anything to them. 

Archived