Pictionary 46: open theme

honeyed chicken

16 hours ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

(The Nietzsche/Cankar/Lincoln change is... well, words beat me)

I am sorry, but the Bear's picture I got looks exactly like him.

16 hours ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

And now, thanks to @Buckwheat I know who are Hildegunst von Mythenmetz and Walter Moers...

Hehe, you are welcome. I am very fond of spreading the word of the best Zamonian writer. ;) Very much recommended. Not sure where you come from and what language you read, but some of Moers' novels are widely translated.

13 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

And I was really happy that George was recognizable.

It was a really amazing picture. :)

George is a reoccuring character in this game and has usually been pretty consistently recognised. One of my favourite chains is still the one where he (mine!) is attacked by aliens.

11 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

It's ok,  I just find it funny, I put all the work and effort in those toys, then run out of ti e and rushed the rest of the drawing.  I didn't know the warhammer connection, and had no idea who John Henry or if tgat was 2 people.  So drew them as the hoover family, which may be a british thing.  I was hoping the next person recognised them but was doubtful.  

It highly likely is a British thing. I have to ask ... what is it with John, Henry, and two hoovers? My continental self has no clue what the connection is.

11 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

It seems ages since we had a Tyrell in the chains and are a traditional dictionary icon, especially if the change gender a few times.   

Loras = Margaery in this game, gender just makes no difference. :P 

Henry Hoover  is an anthropomorphic vacuum cleaner.   Its a very well known Vacuum cleaner and most schools / offices will use Henry Hoover (or one of his family members)

Henry is a Red Hoover.  (although sometimes you can get him in different colours)

Over time Henry Hoover had a family as other vaccumes as the range increased.  the first to join Henry was Hetty Hoover who is pink and has eyelashes.

Hetty  is identical to Henry in every way  other than the colour and eyelashes.  (although she might be more expensive as lady stuff normally is)

then there is George who is Green sometimes Blue,  Thomas who is Blue,  John is Yellow  James is also yellow but sometimes Green

Hoover is Herny's Surname.  or family name.

He's also made by the Hoover company.

but yes in the uk at least  whenever someone says hoover they are talking about any vacuum cleaner.    (unless they make it clear they are talking about and washing machine that might catch fire)

2 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Hoover is Herny's Surname.  or family name.

He's also made by the Hoover company.

but yes in the uk at least  whenever someone says hoover they are talking about any vacuum cleaner.    (unless they make it clear they are talking about and washing machine that might catch fire)

Yeah, I learned that when my sister lived in Liverpool for a year or two. She had to "hoover" a lot.

It's like how a "bubbler" in WI is a "water fountain" in Indiana or a "drinking fountain" elsewhere.

Or how I might ask for a coke when I don't really want a Coke. I want a soda (or a pop depending on where you live in the United States). If I ask for a coke and you give me a Coke without telling me what all the options are, I'll look at you funny.

Hey what coke do you have?

Coke? Yeah, we have Coke.

What kind of coke?

Um, original?

I've never heard of Original. It's that new?

What? It's just Coke.

What kind of coke do you have?

It's in a red god damn bottle.

Oh, you only have coke?

That's all you asked for.

No it's not!

7 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Or how I might ask for a Coke when I don't really want the coke. I want a soda (or a pop depending on where you live in the United States). If I ask for a Coke and you give me a Coke without telling me what all the options are, I'll look at you funny.

Hey what Coke do you have?

Come? Yeah, we have Coke.

Yeah, what kind?

Um, original?

I've never heard of Original. It's that new?

What? It's just Coke.

What kind of Coke do you have?

It's in a red god damn bottle.

Oh, you only have Coke?

That's all you asked for.

No it's not!

it happened to me back in the day, cause we call all sweet fizzy drinks "soda" down in da bayou...and first time i went to nebraska for some military duty i was in a snack shack and after ordering food waitress says what to drink...i said soda...she said ok and i got a glass of fizzy clear liquid...when i saw it i thought ah 7-up... even though i had meant coke...not pepsi...i was ok with 7-up...but it tasted wrong...not sweet kinda flat...just wrong, so i ask and waitress says oh you wanted pop why didn't you say so...

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

I'm afraid he isn't, he's made by Numatic. And they seem quite careful to not use the word Hoover.

Ok wow, was sure the were Hoover's.    I even googled Henry hoover to get the image right.

Guess you learn something everyday.    

Oh new dictionary signup thread us open.

1 hour ago, rocksniffer said:

it happened to me back in the day, cause we call all sweet fizzy drinks "soda" down in da bayou...and first time i went to nebraska for some military duty i was in a snack shack and after ordering food waitress says what to drink...i said soda...she said ok and i got a glass of fizzy clear liquid...when i saw it i thought ah 7-up... even though i had meant coke...not pepsi...i was ok with 7-up...but it tasted wrong...not sweet kinda flat...just wrong, so i ask and waitress says oh you wanted pop why didn't you say so...

She gave you "soda water." Very different.

Archived