If you could change the events of one chapter

Eternally_Theirs

On 1/28/2020 at 3:56 PM, Raebo said:

Ned tells Cat the truth about Jon.   Maybe it just changes Cat’s feelings or it could make a big change in the story so Jon does not take the black.

The big change is that she woulda ratted Jon out in a trade deal with Cersei for Sansa.  And she would f'ed that up like she did everything else.

43 minutes ago, Aetta said:

The big change is that she woulda ratted Jon out in a trade deal with Cersei for Sansa.  And she would f'ed that up like she did everything else.

I don't think so. If she knew the truth about Jon she wouldn't hate him; there would be nothing to be jealous or angry about. 

On 1/26/2020 at 9:26 AM, Nagini's Neville said:

I'd change this into gentle, respectful loving sex, that Dany always says enthusiastically yes to and he doesn't hurt her like this and ignore her during it. It still would have not been truly her choice of course, but a lot better. Bad enough to be sold into marriage at age 13 imo.

I don't know if I would.

I would rather emphasize the fact that there is a massive language barrier between Dany and Drogo that prevents Dany from communicating her discomfort and misery.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:02 AM, Gingin said:

Bobby B gives up wine so he doesn’t rape Cersei.

I don't think he raped Cersei.

On 1/27/2020 at 9:11 AM, FitzChivalry Fartseer said:

Jaime Lannister decides that, actually, he’s not going to let Littlefinger just ride off while he accosts Ned and his men

Yeah that was always weird.

On 1/27/2020 at 1:49 AM, Greywater-Watch said:

Ned should have listened carefully to what Arya told him about the conversation between Varys and Illyrio. He could have checked by asking Arya to show him the place where she saw the two men.

But wouldn't this have changed too many things?

I would rather emphasize the fact that there is a massive language barrier between Dany and Drogo that prevents Dany from communicating her discomfort and misery.

I think the word you are looking for is pain. So much pain, that she is crying throughout, has to muffle her screams with pillows and can't sleep after, because she is in so much pain. She even contemplates suicide because of it. So I'd rather have her not experiencing that, especially because it wouldn't have changed the plot that much. The language barriers certainly weren't a problem at all the first night. And she "could" have easily communicated her pain to him (he probably already knew anyway) by just not hiding it. But she didn't feel like she could and that tells us everything we have to know about their relationship dynamic. Drogo and Dany herself thought she had to only please him and her pain didn't matter. Speaking the same language wouldn't have changed that.

I don't think he raped Cersei.

Forcing someone to sleep with them against their will is rape, right? Cersei has even some PTSD because of it.

"the way Robert would use her when the drink was in him, and she was unable to bring him off with hand or mouth. Those had been the worst nights, lying helpless underneath him as he took his pleasure, stinking of wine and grunting like a boar. Usually, he rolled off and went to sleep as soon as it was done, and was snoring before his seed could dry upon her thighs. She was always sore afterward, raw between the legs, her breasts painful from the mauling he would give them."

"For Robert, those nights never happened. Come morning he remembered nothing, or so he would have had her believe. Once, during the first year of their marriage, Cersei had voiced her displeasure the next day. “You hurt me,” she complained. He had the grace to look ashamed.It was not me, my lady,” he said in a sulky sullen tone, like a child caught stealing apple cakes from the kitchen. “It was the wine. I drink too much wine.” "

"The rest had all been lies, though. He did remember what he did to her at night, she was convinced of that. She could see it in his eyes. He only pretended to forget; it was easier to do that than to face his shame. Deep down, Robert Baratheon was a coward. In time the assaults did grow less frequent. During the first year, he took her at least once a fortnight; by the end it was not even once a year. He never stopped completely, though. Sooner or later there would always come a night when he would drink too much and want to claim his rights. What shamed him in the light of day gave him pleasure in the darkness."

A Feast for Crows, Cersei 7

23 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

First that came to mind was Dany actually goes to Pentos instead of diverting to Slaver's Bay. But I don't actually dislike her storyline in Meeren; it's just that in hindsight maybe things would have gone more smoothly for Grrm/the story's pace

It would have been better if she had continued to travel, Meereen was too annoying, instead we could have seen many places in Essos by her POV, places we will never see. 

On 1/31/2020 at 3:25 AM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I don't think so. If she knew the truth about Jon she wouldn't hate him; there would be nothing to be jealous or angry about. 

No, but seeing as he wouldn't be her son, Cat would probably sell him in exchange for Sansa. Cat really didn't think, she acted on impulse and I think she was very similar to Cersei with a ,,fuck you, got mine" attitude. Like her story is supposed to show how using only your heart and not your brain will do massive harm to everyone. Like who in their right minds would release Jaime? You might say she did it out of desperation, but that doesn't excuse the fact, that had Jaime still been in captivity, the Red wedding might have never happened. So yeah, if put in a similar sense of desperation I have no doubt she would have sold Jon out in exchange for Sansa. And I think Ned knew that she was a weak person, incapable of ruling her feelings, and that's why he never told her.

24 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

No, but seeing as he wouldn't be her son, Cat would probably sell him in exchange for Sansa

Cat doesn't have a history of harming innocent children though & if she knew the truth Jon would go from being her husband's bastard son, conceived while married to Cat, to Ned's beloved, dead sisters son & Catelyn's nephew. 

If she were desperate enough, maybe she would trade some child that meant nothing to her (even this I think is a stretch) but I can't see her trading another child she cares about under any circumstances. 

28 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Cat really didn't think, she acted on impulse and I think she was very similar to Cersei with a ,,fuck you, got mine" attitude.

Oh, I think she thought a great deal about it & came to the conclusion she was willing to suffer whatever consequences came her direction if it meant getting her daughters back - quite the opposite of Cersei's attitude. 

29 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Like her story is supposed to show how using only your heart and not your brain will do massive harm to everyone. Like who in their right minds would release Jaime? You might say she did it out of desperation, but that doesn't excuse the fact, that had Jaime still been in captivity, the Red wedding might have never happened

Sure, she wasn't in her right mind. She had lost 2 children & her husband & had a man in front of her that was (she believed) the ticket to getting 2 of her children back. 

I'm not excusing it but I understand it & would have done the same thing. I would have tried to get Robb to trade Jaime for the girls first (but she did didn't she?) If that was unsuccessful, I would have done whatever was in my power to free my children BUT I would not have put another innocent child in harms way to do it. 

32 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So yeah, if put in a similar sense of desperation I have no doubt she would have sold Jon out in exchange for Sansa. And I think Ned knew that she was a weak person, incapable of ruling her feelings, and that's why he never told her.

Jon is not Jaime. I don't understand why you think she would do the same thing with Jaime - a man that confessed to trying to murder her son, as Jon who would be a child she had raised & loved if she knew the truth of it. 

The last sentence doesn't really have any bearing here. But even if that were true it wouldn't have much weight in this situation. Telling her would have been a much easier solution for Ned if that were the reason because she wouldn't have been mean to Jon. He didn't tell her because it was dangerous for her to know, he was protecting her. 

Archived