NFL: Super Bowl, offseason and quarterback musical chairs

DanteGabriel

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It was a Latin themed show targeting its host city. Clearly you’ve never been, otherwise you’d know they were actually being really conservative by Miami standards.

And that wasn’t Pit Bull, it was Bad Bunny.

The SB is a country wide spectacle not regional, and yes of course they want regional flare. Oh wait J-Lo was on a stripper pole so that must be a Miami thing, I can't wait for Vegas to host!!! None of this was my actual point / issue though.

You don't spend the time and effort like they did after nipplegate pretending that they wanted a more wholesome show, then have a stripper pole out there without being hypocrites.  Again, I liked seeing them, but have to call a twerk a twerk.

And damn, I would've sworn it was Pitbull! 

Did anyone else feel like the game broadcast was oddly devoid of replay?  When I watch on a Sunday, I feel like between every play I see a replay of what just happened or maybe two plays ago if it was really big.  Last night, there were several big plays that I don't think I ever saw again.  One example that stuck out in my mind being when Sammy Watkins caught a pass in maybe the second (?) quarter and dropped the ball.  It was called dead and they went on with the game, but the Fox broadcast never showed the play again and I was left wondering what had happened.  There were several other moments that felt devoid of the usual content as well.  

Just now, Rhom said:

Did anyone else feel like the game broadcast was oddly devoid of replay?  When I watch on a Sunday, I feel like between every play I see a replay of what just happened or maybe two plays ago if it was really big.  Last night, there were several big plays that I don't think I ever saw again.  One example that stuck out in my mind being when Sammy Watkins caught a pass in maybe the second (?) quarter and dropped the ball.  It was called dead and they went on with the game, but the Fox broadcast never showed the play again and I was left wondering what had happened.  There were several other moments that felt devoid of the usual content as well.  

All the shows are overproduced with too many graphics and animations and banners to show. No time for replays! We have a cartoon Damien Wayne we paid for!

And I have not dwelled in the game today... didn’t turn on ESPN radio like I normally do... haven’t been to any Niners websites...

Then I open Twitter at lunch and this hits me first thing

53 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The SB is a country wide spectacle not regional, and yes of course they want regional flare. Oh wait J-Lo was on a stripper pole so that must be a Miami thing, I can't wait for Vegas to host!!! None of this was my actual point / issue though.

You don't spend the time and effort like they did after nipplegate pretending that they wanted a more wholesome show, then have a stripper pole out there without being hypocrites.  Again, I liked seeing them, but have to call a twerk a twerk.

Yes, it is a Miami thing. Sex and drugs are two major things Miami traffics on, that’s why it’s a known party city. Hell, one of the local jokes is you haven’t become a true Miamian until you walk across yayo that washed up on the beach.

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

And I have not dwelled in the game today... didn’t turn on ESPN radio like I normally do... haven’t been to any Niners websites...

There were a few plays that were like, yeah that was a penalty but to be honest it seemed like a pretty evenly called game, from someone with no vested interest.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Yes, it is a Miami thing. Sex and drugs are two major things Miami traffics on, that’s why it’s a known party city. Hell, one of the local jokes is you haven’t become a true Miamian until you walk across yayo that washed up on the beach.

Ugh, so now it's ok to cash in on negative stereotypes? Lol, c'mon man!

Did the halftime show in Minnesota have a party boat? NO! (caps are in fun, not really yelling!)

Did the halftime show in Detroit include burned out abandoned houses? NO!

Sex sells and the NFL pretended it was against that and now they are fully invested again.  

Vegas is known for strippers and legal prostitution, would we see the bunny ranch or people handing out sex pamphlets?????  Hmm..the first PPV halftime show, better not give the NFL any ideas.

13 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Every single game has at least one obvious hold that isn't called (albeit not always on a big play).  I agree it looks like a hold, but it is hardly a particularly egregious one.  Refs are gonna call that sometimes and miss it sometimes, and that's just football. 

12 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Ugh, so now it's ok to cash in on negative stereotypes? Lol, c'mon man!

Did the halftime show in Minnesota have a party boat? NO! (caps are in fun, not really yelling!)

Did the halftime show in Detroit include burned out abandoned houses? NO!

Sex sells and the NFL pretended it was against that and now they are fully invested again.  

Vegas is known for strippers and legal prostitution, would we see the bunny ranch or people handing out sex pamphlets?????  Hmm..the first PPV halftime show, better not give the NFL any ideas.

Why do they have to be seen as negative? I’m guessing most people from Miami were either proud of the show and/or gave it no thought. That’s just a Tuesday for a lot of them.

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why do they have to be seen as negative? I’m guessing most people from Miami were either proud of the show and/or gave it no thought. That’s just a Tuesday for a lot of them.

Why does walking across cocaine on the beach have to be seen as a negative? Not sure if you are serious or not.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Cowboy Stadium have Stripper Poles throughout the place.

Nipplegate was 16 years ago and dumb.

4 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Cowboy Stadium have Stripper Poles throughout the place.

Nipplegate was 16 years ago and dumb.

Not disageeing with you, just stating the obvious hypocrisy. Hell I watched that halftime show and didn't even know nipplegate happened until the next day because of the media.

If a player grabbed his crotch during the game in a TD dance he would get fined, but J-Lo grabbed hers multiple times in a routine you know the NFL made her practice so they could approve it? 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

My brother was complaining about the Chiefs OL holding the Niners pass rush all game which, yeah, was hard to argue with.

36 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Not disageeing with you, just stating the obvious hypocrisy. Hell I watched that halftime show and didn't even know nipplegate happened until the next day because of the media.

Well, as Kitttenguard pointed out, that was 16 years ago.  It's perfectly acceptable if the NFL's standards have changed - just along with the country's - since then.  I wouldn't really call it hypocrisy.  I didn't watch the halftime show, and I haven't since the last time the Niners were in it.  That was 2013, Beyonce headlined, and I remember watching it at the bar (the only reason I watched it) and being like "damn, we've come a long way from nipplegate."  And that was 7 years ago.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

My brother was complaining about the Chiefs OL holding the Niners pass rush all game which, yeah, was hard to argue with.

Well, as Kitttenguard pointed out, that was 16 years ago.  It's perfectly acceptable if the NFL's standards have changed - just along with the country's - since then.  I wouldn't really call it hypocrisy.  I didn't watch the halftime show, and I haven't since the last time the Niners were in it.  That was 2013, Beyonce headlined, and I remember watching it at the bar (the only reason I watched it) and being like "damn, we've come a long way from nipplegate."  And that was 7 years ago.

Isn't it hypocrisy if they would fine a player for crotch grabbing while celebrating a td but approve a half time act to do it? Not sure I see how there is a difference. 

Anyway, I am over it. On to mock drafts, mock trades, franchise tags and free agency.

Just now, dbunting said:

Not sure I see how there is a difference. 

Because the halftime show entails choreographed dances from different songs that lasts at least, what, 15 minutes.  Pretty sure a team would be penalized for that type of TD celebration with or without the crotch-grabbing.

30 minutes ago, DMC said:

Agreed.  And I have no rooting interest in either the Chiefs or 49ers beyond wanting to see a good contest (I'm Rob Lowe sportin' his NFL hat:D).  Also, even at the time, I took special note of the offensive PI call on Kittle and how eerily similar it was to Kyle Rudoph's "great play" in the end zone vs. the Saints a few weeks back.  I get it, as long as there are humans reffing the games, there's gonna be human error but I sure wish it could be more consistent, especially when it's for all the marbles.  

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

There is also an age where you shouldn't grab your crotch in public. I'm not saying JLO is past that age (applies to men and women).  But it's pretty close. 

I hope I never reach that age.

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

Why does walking across cocaine on the beach have to be seen as a negative? Not sure if you are serious or not.

I was more talking about the overt sexual nature of the show, which I support. But yes, I do think it’s funny that drugs washing up on the beach is a regular thing in South Beach.

You should visit. It’s the best part of the country if you don’t mind a bit of debauchery.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

If a player grabbed his crotch during the game in a TD dance he would get fined, but J-Lo grabbed hers multiple times in a routine you know the NFL made her practice so they could approve it? 

Arguably the best play ever, The Beastquake , ended exactly this way, and it was glorious.

Also, JLO is an independent actor. The NFL has no control over her.

Archived