NFL: Super Bowl, offseason and quarterback musical chairs

DanteGabriel

17 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Barring a medical setback, there's virtually no chance Tua is available at #4.  Either someone will trade up to 2 or 3 to take him, or the Lions put Stafford on notice. 

Not sure I agree. Taking Tua is risky enough, but trading up to do so? That could end disastrously. And it would take a kings ransom to get that #2 pick if I’m Washington. Young could end up being even better than the Bosa’s  

Then again, look at some of the whacky things we’ve seen in recent years like Chicago moving up to take Trubisky...

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was a Tua skeptic, but it does sound like he’s doing well medically. He’ll be a top 10 pick for sure, but it is possible he gets leapfrogged by one or two other QB prospects.

I mean, the drop off after Burrow and Tua is huge (Herbert has the physical tools but he just doesn’t impress me), but Tua really is a huge risk. The ideal situation for him would be somewhere he doesn’t have to start immediately. 

That said, I’ll be shocked if he isn’t the second QB taken. 

Yea taking Tua is a HUGE risk given his history. I’m not saying he won’t be the second Qb off the boards but I think if he is taken top 10 that gm could potentially find himself in a bad spot considering there’s a decent chance he’s just one of those players that can’t stay healthy.

10 hours ago, Kalbear said:

The problem isn't that Tua isn't healed well, the problem is that he's had at least two injuries that I know of in his short career and maybe more. That bodes ill for long-term success. 

He had the tightrope procedure for a high ankle sprain twice (each ankle) and then this hip.  I do think it’s a legit concern.  Only upside is that mobility wasn’t his strong suit.

15 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I mean, the drop off after Burrow and Tua is huge (Herbert has the physical tools but he just doesn’t impress me), but Tua really is a huge risk. The ideal situation for him would be somewhere he doesn’t have to start immediately. 

That said, I’ll be shocked if he isn’t the second QB taken. 

I’ve heard as many as six QBs could go in the first round. Logically that means some of them will climb up the ranks and will be able to show off their skills while Tua is just limping around. Front offices are generally risk-averse, so it really shouldn’t be shocking if other QBs go before him.

as many as six QBs could go in the first round. 

What if there were a bunch of QBs on first down?

Flood the field with QB's!   New Orleans uses 2 at the same time already, but they could be doing more.   They had Bridgewater, and if Rivers went there that'd make 4 QB's they could bring together in one play to completely confuse things.   If one of them took a fifteen yard drop, another of them went in motion, the third took a direct snap and latteraled to the one who'd lined up in shotgun....... that'd really be something.  Add to that the fact you'd be denying other teams access to backup quarterbacks by collecting all of them you possibly could onto one team.  Just keep acquiring more and more QBs and don't stop.  Hungry Hippo those MFs.   Like china hoards all the super-rare metals we need for our high tech gizmos.   

Eventually it'll cause a league wide shortage at the position.   Then, take one of your meaningless extra QBs and set him up as a cobra kai blitzer to "sweep the leg" of the other team's last decent QB.  What do you care if your kamakazi gets banned by the league?   That's just another way of keeping other teams from getting him on their roster.   

And as for where to put all these QB's on your own roster?   Well, let's see.   Every kickoff goes through the endzone these days, so clear out special teams.   Why pay them anymore for trotting out to "achieve" another touchback.  That's 11 slots right there (really around 5 or 6, cuz you need the kicking team and the guys who also play on another squad).  Those are roster spots you can earmark for additional QBs.   Then take a good hard look at your receiver corps.   Are they still dropping balls at the same alarming rate they always have?     And they're just about as skinny as QBs.  Hmmmm.  So if you replaced them with QB's, you wouldn't be giving up that much weight, and now you'd have guys who could both catch AND toss.   Worried they wouldn't have enough speed to get open?   That's already the case, except for the 1 or 2 guys your QB ends up throwing to all the time.  Consider keeping them, or recruit fast QBs to replace them from among the ranks of multi-sport athletes.  The center?   No, you need to keep the center under contract.  Unless you can find an older out of work QB who's really let himself go and has packed on the pounds to where he's starting to look like a possible fit as your new center. 

That's the blueprint.    And it can honestly be said that no team has ever failed using this approach.   Whether any of this current crop of milk toast coaches are sufficiently nutted to handle this amount of risk/reward is another matter.  Most of their genitals if weighed against a poptart would be like egyptian souls found to be lighter than a feather.   Clearly, I'm wasting my time pitching this to the nfl and need to walk it over to the XFL where ideas are listened to and applied.    

"Happy Valentime's Day."  - - - Mr. T

I don't see Tua going past #3 if he gets a clean bill of health. Going into the season he was the clear #1 overall so if the hip is good to go then I can't see him dropping very far. If he didn't have the hip issue this year he would likely have gone #1 overall despite what Burrow did this year since there is so much more tape on Tua than Burrow.

The Lions are in a great spot if Tua is healthy. Either someone pays a ransom to get Washingtons pick and Young falls to Detroit or Detroit gets paid a ransom and they slide to 5th or 6th and still get Okudah. 

The rumor mill has already started here in Detroit that Stafford may be on the trading block. The insinuation being, you better trade up to #2 to get Tua or Detroit will take him at #3 for themselves. 

2 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I don't see Tua going past #3 if he gets a clean bill of health. Going into the season he was the clear #1 overall so if the hip is good to go then I can't see him dropping very far. If he didn't have the hip issue this year he would likely have gone #1 overall despite what Burrow did this year since there is so much more tape on Tua than Burrow.

The Lions are in a great spot if Tua is healthy. Either someone pays a ransom to get Washingtons pick and Young falls to Detroit or Detroit gets paid a ransom and they slide to 5th or 6th and still get Okudah. 

The rumor mill has already started here in Detroit that Stafford may be on the trading block. The insinuation being, you better trade up to #2 to get Tua or Detroit will take him at #3 for themselves. 

I agree with most of this.  Not sure about healthy Tua going ahead of Burrow, but it's a moot point since Tua did get hurt. 

One issue is that if I were the Lions, I think trading Stafford now doesn't make much sense.  If Tua goes #2, you want Stafford and Young.  If Tua falls to 3, you can see if anyone blows your socks off with a trade, and if not, just take Tua.  Then have Tua sit for a year to make sure he's healthy and then trade Stafford next offseason.  Next year there won't be such a glut of veteran quarterbacks available anyway, so you could probably get more for Stafford. 

Just for the sake of argument, why not go with a complete tear down and trade the pick and Stafford? The Lions need a lot of help and they could revamp their roster while tanking for Trevor next year.

Hell, if I’m the Bengals I might be tempted to trade the top pick and Dalton and shoot for the same scenario. I know Trevor was bad in the championship game, but I really do think he’s going to be the next great young QB. I’m not as sold on Burrow and I’m still a bit nervous on Tua.  

Because NFL teams tanking is a weird thing, and even if you trade away seemingly all of your above average players there's no guarantee you'll end up with the #1 pick?  It certainly looked like Miami was tanking this year and they finished with the 5th pick.  Likewise the Jets two years ago, and instead it was the Browns who went 0-16. 

Not to mention that while Trevor looks great now, there's no guarantee he'll still look great next year.  Plenty of guys have stepback years or get injured and then you have to decide if you want to take an O lineman or a pass rusher with the #1 pick. 

What you are proposing for the Bengals is a very bad idea.  Burrow just had arguably the best year for a college quarterback we've ever seen. Don't overthink it. 

5 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I agree with most of this.  Not sure about healthy Tua going ahead of Burrow, but it's a moot point since Tua did get hurt. 

One issue is that if I were the Lions, I think trading Stafford now doesn't make much sense.  If Tua goes #2, you want Stafford and Young.  If Tua falls to 3, you can see if anyone blows your socks off with a trade, and if not, just take Tua.  Then have Tua sit for a year to make sure he's healthy and then trade Stafford next offseason.  Next year there won't be such a glut of veteran quarterbacks available anyway, so you could probably get more for Stafford. 

Yeah, I am not saying the Lions will trade Stafford, but it seems like they are leaking that they might, just to get people who want a QB uncomfortable enough to make offers for the picks in question. They said trading Stafford would be a 37mill cap hit vs like 23mill to have him. 

7 hours ago, Maithanet said:

What you are proposing for the Bengals is a very bad idea.  Burrow just had arguably the best year for a college quarterback we've ever seen. Don't overthink it. 

Burrow was also throwing to wide open guys. Baker did the same thing at Oklahoma and his accuracy regressed a good deal in the pros.

Just sayin'. 

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

Yeah, I am not saying the Lions will trade Stafford, but it seems like they are leaking that they might, just to get people who want a QB uncomfortable enough to make offers for the picks in question. They said trading Stafford would be a 37mill cap hit vs like 23mill to have him. 

What could you even get for an aging QB with a messed up back? 

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just for the sake of argument, why not go with a complete tear down and trade the pick and Stafford? The Lions need a lot of help and they could revamp their roster while tanking for Trevor next year.

Hell, if I’m the Bengals I might be tempted to trade the top pick and Dalton and shoot for the same scenario. I know Trevor was bad in the championship game, but I really do think he’s going to be the next great young QB. I’m not as sold on Burrow and I’m still a bit nervous on Tua.  

Not sold on Burrow? Guy just had the best college season of any QB ever. In the SEC, against top defenses, and mopped the floor with Clemson in the NCG...

There’s no scenario I’m ok with trading that pick. 

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Burrow was also throwing to wide open guys. Baker did the same thing at Oklahoma and his accuracy regressed a good deal in the pros.

Just sayin'. 

What could you even get for an aging QB with a messed up back? 

Burrow’s biggest strength is accuracy. He drops dimes better than anyone I’ve seen in years. His stats while throwing into tight windows are off the charts. It’s definitely not a bunch of “throwing to wide open guys.”

11 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Not sold on Burrow? Guy just had the best college season of any QB ever. In the SEC, against top defenses, and mopped the floor with Clemson in the NCG...

There’s no scenario I’m ok with trading that pick. 

I mean there has to be a scenario.......

7 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Burrow’s biggest strength is accuracy. He drops dimes better than anyone I’ve seen in years. His stats while throwing into tight windows are off the charts. It’s definitely not a bunch of “throwing to wide open guys.”

The same was said of Baker. Look, Burrow might turn out to be the real deal, but he could also end up being an average guy who benefited from an insane amount of talent around him. 

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I mean there has to be a scenario.......

The same was said of Baker. Look, Burrow might turn out to be the real deal, but he could also end up being an average guy who benefited from an insane amount of talent around him. 

And there’s not an insane amount of talent around Lawrence? How many NCG’s has Clemson played in the past few years? And Tua has even more at Alabama. 

Archived