NFL: Super Bowl, offseason and quarterback musical chairs

DanteGabriel

OP folks, but off to the hospital, should be back in a day or so with 2 new 9er fans in tow. Bit nervous tbh, but I’m sure it’ll go fine. One of the girls flipped to breach so it has to be a C-section, which is less than ideal but happens every day, they tell me. 

Wish us luck. Bye for now. 

On 2/14/2020 at 4:56 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I mean there has to be a scenario.......

The same was said of Baker. Look, Burrow might turn out to be the real deal, but he could also end up being an average guy who benefited from an insane amount of talent around him. 

As a senior Burrow threw for 17 more TDs, had 1,000 more yards passing, had a completion percentage 6% higher, is 4 inches taller and significantly more athletic than Baker. He also did that against SEC defenses vs. Baker and the Big 12. Yes, Baker went #1 overall too but it wasn't remotely clear that would happen until it did. They're just different levels of prospects. 

Kiper’s latest mock draft has the Lions taking Tua at three.  They talked about it on Golic and Wingo this morning and said that Stafford’s contract has an out after next season.  Could be the perfect fit to take him and redshirt him for a year before saying goodbye to Stafford.

6 hours ago, Jaime L said:

As a senior Burrow threw for 17 more TDs, had 1,000 more yards passing, had a completion percentage 6% higher, is 4 inches taller and significantly more athletic than Baker. He also did that against SEC defenses vs. Baker and the Big 12. Yes, Baker went #1 overall too but it wasn't remotely clear that would happen until it did. They're just different levels of prospects. 

Would Burrow still be the clear top pick if Tua didn't get hurt?

Look, I'm not saying Burrow is going to be a bust or anything, but if you have doubts you absolutely have to at least hear what the offers are, especially if you're only dropping back a few picks with the potential of Tua plus two more first rounders. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Would Burrow still be the clear top pick if Tua didn't get hurt?

Look, I'm not saying Burrow is going to be a bust or anything, but if you have doubts you absolutely have to at least hear what the offers are, especially if you're only dropping back a few picks with the potential of Tua plus two more first rounders. 

That’s the thing though, nobody really has doubts anymore. Not after a record setting regular season in the SEC, and absolutely torching two playoff teams, one of which being the defending champs with the #1 defense and a QB who hadn’t lost since high school. 

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Burrow seems to be having second thoughts about being drafted by the Bengals, and who can blame him?

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/2/18/21142422/joe-burrow-cincinnati-bengals-carson-palmer

Old news. The media clickbait and desperation for stories have been swirling for months. His dad already put a squash to it. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/joe-burrows-dad-jim-clears-up-any-concerns-if-the-bengals-do-draft-him-hes-gonna-be-happy/

10 hours ago, James Arryn said:

OP folks, but off to the hospital, should be back in a day or so with 2 new 9er fans in tow. Bit nervous tbh, but I’m sure it’ll go fine. One of the girls flipped to breach so it has to be a C-section, which is less than ideal but happens every day, they tell me. 

Wish us luck. Bye for now. 

Good luck, my wife has had 3 C-sections. She’s gonna need you while she’s healing up. 

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Old news. The media clickbait and desperation for stories have been swirling for months. His dad already put a squash to it. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/joe-burrows-dad-jim-clears-up-any-concerns-if-the-bengals-do-draft-him-hes-gonna-be-happy/

Your story is from a month ago, and the Ringer story is sourced on an interview that Burrow did yesterday. I can't claim to know what Burrow is really thinking, but by definition it seems your story is the old news.

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Your story is from a month ago, and the Ringer story is sourced on an interview that Burrow did yesterday. I can't claim to know what Burrow is really thinking, but by definition it seems your story is the old news.

Here’s a more recent source

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2020/02/17/robin-burrow-shoots-down-report-joe-doesnt-want-bengals-draft-him/4788585002/

I do think it’s odd the media is acting like Cincinnati is Cleveland or something. Like we’re where QB’s go to have their careers die. Andy freaking Dalton has a winning record as a starter here, and took the Bengals to 5 straight playoffs ffs. I would hope Burrow feels he can accomplish more than Andy Dalton. 

A lot of this stems from salty ass Carson Palmer. 

Just now, Nictarion said:

I do think it’s odd the media is acting like Cincinnati is Cleveland or something. Like we’re where QB’s go to have their careers die. Andy freaking Dalton has a winning record as a starter here, and took the Bengals to 5 straight playoffs ffs. I would hope Burrow feels he can accomplish more than Andy Dalton. 

It also stems from the Bengals continually doing fuckall about shitty coaches, talent, and consistently drafting poorly for decades. It's not Cleveland, but having that as your calling card for a city is not the best endorsement.

2 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Fair enough on the more recent link with comments from Burrow's mom.

I think you're right that Carson Palmer's the reason this story has gained more traction. Pretty stunning when a guy says he thought the Cardinals were more devoted to winning than the Bengals were. Solomon Wilcots also chimed in to agree with Palmer, and I think his comments were just a week or so ago.

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

It also stems from the Bengals continually doing fuckall about shitty coaches, talent, and consistently drafting poorly for decades. It's not Cleveland, but having that as your calling card for a city is not the best endorsement.

Staying with Marvin Lewis too long is absolutely fair criticism, as is being cheap in FA, but we’ve actually drafted fairly well at times. 

30 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Burrow seems to be having second thoughts about being drafted by the Bengals, and who can blame him?

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/2/18/21142422/joe-burrow-cincinnati-bengals-carson-palmer

Yeah I saw that a few hours ago.  Thought of posting it here based on the current discussion, but figured that'd just be cruel to Bengal fans.

Archived