NFL: Super Bowl, offseason and quarterback musical chairs

DanteGabriel

20 hours ago, Maithanet said:

So the NFL and the toothless Players Union agreed to a new deal, with a 17 game season.  Hooray!  More injuries!  Less meaningful regular season games!  Kill that golden goose!  

Okay, I could just research this on my own, but are they just going to alternate years in which a team gets a 9th home game? Or will every team's extra game be in London or Mexico City or something?

The 17th game is fucking stupid.

I don't understand the Hopkins trade. It's not like Houston is saving much money in the deal and they aren't getting the Johnson that signed his big contract. I guess this means they are drafting a WR high this year?

13 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I don't understand the Hopkins trade. It's not like Houston is saving much money in the deal and they aren't getting the Johnson that signed his big contract. I guess this means they are drafting a WR high this year?

It means Bill O'Brien is drunk

19 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The Texans were relatively deep at WR, and have very little draft capital or cap room thanks to some questionable trades they've made (Tunsil in particular).  So it wasn't a surprise that the Texans were willing to move either Fuller or Hopkins, and this doesn't give them a gaping hole (although obviously Hopkins is a baller who will be missed).  The issue is the compensation.  Johnson isn't worth his salary and could be completely done.  There is very little cap relief because Johnson is overpaid - taking on Johnson is a favor for the Cardinals.  This trade actually kinda feels like an NBA trade where you have to "make the money work" and thus bad contracts get thrown in all the time. 

So the actual compensation for Hopkins is less than a 2nd rounder?  That is really poor value.  Hard to believe there wasn't a team willing to trade say, a 2nd and a middling-but-not-terrible rotation O lineman for Hopkins.  Which would have been far better for Houston than what they got. 

46 minutes ago, dbunting said:

It was an awful trade for the Texans.  They've already got a guy who does exactly what David Johnson does in Duke Johnson, and Duke didn't look like an absolute shell of himself last year like David did.  The second rounder is nice since they have like no picks in this draft, but do you trust Bill O'Brien to nail that pick?  

This also removes the most reliable target in the league for Watson, whose life is already a living hell because the Texans don't believe in offensive lines.

(Yes I know the tweet was a joke) but I'm not really sure what trade value JJ Watt has at this point.  He's paid like an elite defender, but he has missed more than half the season three of the past four years.  D lineman generally don't last as long in the league as O lineman do (for whatever reason), and he'll be 31 next week.  He is definitely a high risk guy to be trading for, if Houston wanted to move him (and I suspect they do not, he's an icon in that city for his post-hurricane work).

Very sorry to see Buckner go, but jeebus $21 million a year?!?  That's pretty damn steep.  This way they get to keep Armstead - hopefully at a substantially cheaper rate in AAV - probably now have room to re-sign Sanders and Ward, and have the 13th pick.  That makes much more sense.  So, nice work Lynch. 

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Very sorry to see Buckner go, but jeebus $21 million a year?!?  That's pretty damn steep.  This way they get to keep Armstead - hopefully at a substantially cheaper rate in AAV - probably now have room to re-sign Sanders and Ward, and have the 13th pick.  That makes much more sense.  So, nice work Lynch. 

I'm not inclined to like the deal for the Colts. If you're going to pay free agency money just do it in free agency.  Then you get to keep the draft pick.

So it looks like the Armstead deal is being confirmed at 5/85, or $17 million a year.  So the Niners save 4 million a year by choosing him over Buckner, on top of the pick.  Nice.

19 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I'd make you suck the dick right off him to close the deal. But nah. The Colts will take Rivers or Mariota.

Figured you take that opportunity for yourself, either to hate throat fuck or bite it off. 

Or both. 

4 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I'd make you suck the dick right off him to close the deal. But nah. The Colts will take Rivers or Mariota.

Mariota went to the Raiders.

I'm flabbergasted at the money the Titans are paying Tannehill. If they were flirting with Brady to leverage Tannehill it didn't work. Seems to me like Brady will go to Tampa Bay or suck up some short offer from Belichick and come back. Which is more personally humiliating? 

I also don't get the Texans deal. Hopkins is 27, easily one of the best receivers in the league and trumps the second highest pass catcher on the team by over 50 receptions. Also, their first pick isn't till 57th, so it's not like they can get a high end talent early in the draft. Will Fuller is very injury prone, and not a 1... by any stretch. Reports are saying that Hopkins and O'Brien didn't see eye to eye, which, whatever? Can't BOB get over that? And if not, the Texans are gonna back buttchin over Hopkins? I don't get it. It's not like they're bringing in Derrick Henry or even Melvin Gordon. DJ is a legit one year wonder in 2016. 1,200 rush yards, 16 td's and 80 receptions. He then gets the big contract and does fuck all since. He turns 29 in December which is practically AARP for running backs. Can't imagine how frustrated/confused Watson is. 

Diggs to the Bills for a 2020 1st, 5th, and 6th round pick, 2021 4th round pick. Whoa... Now that's a haul for a talented receiver. Take notes BOB. Sucks for the Vikings to lose him cause he is dynamic and always great to have two top receivers, but he seems prone to pouty bitch syndrome so don't blame the Vikings for letting him go. The Bills needed a number one receiver badly so makes sense for them. Gave up a helluva lot for a receiver that's used to having another good receiver on the other side of the field from him. Not sure if he can carry the load as a one so we'll see.

Archived