NFL: Super Bowl, offseason and quarterback musical chairs

DanteGabriel

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, with more roster spots (I think), are they going to add more rounds to the draft?

Do you need to?  A lot of those late round guys never make the 53 man roster anyways. :dunno: 

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Do you need to?  A lot of those late round guys never make the 53 man roster anyways. :dunno: 

Still would lead to a little more bread for them. At least I think, even if it's just like $10k. And didn't the roster expand, or was the just the practice squad? 

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

@Tywin et al.

You guys gonna have any CB’s left? I see we just signed another one in Alexander. 

I never remember the Bengals making this many moves this early. Feels good. 

Like I said when we signed Kirk, we have a two year window and the third year might be painful.

We should of cut bait after this year and rebooted.

Oh well, two first rounders means two more first round DBs to be drafted. :bang:

Until the last decade or two this RBBC didn't exist and RB's were just fine. You had much better running games and longer careers. I think the change to a pass first and run as a diversion has more to do with the change than anything else. Teams aren't drafting run blockers as much as they are pass blockers and it shows. 

All that said, I wouldn't have signed Gurley to that contract due to his previous major knee injury.

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

What is the absolute minimum Brady can achieve in Tampa and not tarnish his legacy?

The bar is fewer interceptions than Winston and fewer cheating scandals than he had in New England. 

Other than that it doesn't make any difference.  Jordan was clearly washed when he played for the Wizards, but nobody cares.  We judge athletes by their greatness, not their twilight years. 

54 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The bar is fewer interceptions than Winston and fewer cheating scandals than he had in New England. 

Other than that it doesn't make any difference.  Jordan was clearly washed when he played for the Wizards, but nobody cares.  We judge athletes by their greatness, not their twilight years. 

Doesn't Manning get mocked mercilessly for his last season, even though he won?

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Doesn't Manning get mocked mercilessly for his last season, even though he won?

Sort of?  But that's only because he won the Owl that year, and people need to point out that he didn't really "earn" it so much as have it gift wrapped for him by Miller, Talib, Trevathan, etc. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

What is the absolute minimum Brady can achieve in Tampa and not tarnish his legacy?

Unless the team goes 0-16 0-17 I honestly don't think anything will tarnish his legacy more than all the New England cheating already would have and no one really seems to care much about that.

5 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Jordan was clearly washed when he played for the Wizards, but nobody cares.  We judge athletes by their greatness, not their twilight years. 

You mean no one remembers Willie Mays as a Met?  For shame.  In Brady's case, I'm sure he rationalized in part by the fact his hero spent his last two years in Kansas City.

43 minutes ago, DMC said:

You mean no one remembers Willie Mays as a Met?  For shame.  In Brady's case, I'm sure he rationalized in part by the fact his hero spent his last two years in Kansas City.

It was before my football watching days, but didn't he take the Chiefs to an AFC championship game?

Brady:

But also, as a MassHole, I couldn't give a shit. The fawning over Brady -- which seemed to accelerate during his decline when he was 1) not as good as he used to be and 2) solidified his credentials as a top 1-3 QB of all time -- is so fucking tiresome. Fuck Brady. Fuck the Patriots and fuck Bob Kraft.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It was before my football watching days, but didn't he take the Chiefs to an AFC championship game?

Yeah in his first year they beat the Steelers in the wild card round then the Oilers, then lost to the Bills in the AFC championship (Montana got a concussion at the start of the second half).  In his second season they went 9-7 and lost to the Dolphins in the wild card.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah in his first year they beat the Steelers in the wild card round then the Oilers, then lost to the Bills in the AFC championship (Montana got a concussion at the start of the second half).  In his second season they went 9-7 and lost to the Dolphins in the wild card.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Brady did something similar. The Bucs have great weapons and a sneaky good defensive. My understanding is though that the line isn't very good, and Brady's refusal to take shots is what hurt the Pats last year.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I rooted for the Chiefs when Montana went that way, even rooted for them when they played the 49ers in 1994. I don't think I'll change my allegiance to the Bucs for Brady's sake. I've just never been as emotionally attached to him as I was to Montana, but that almost goes without saying, since Montana was my first football hero. But I'll certainly be curious to see how he does. I don't know if it'll go as well for him as it did for Montana. Are the Brady-Bucs even the best team in their division?

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

Montana was my first football hero.

Same, although that was mostly second-hand via my dad.  I was 9 when he retired, and I have no recollection of actually seeing him play live on the Niners.  But I do distinctly remember him on the Chiefs - particularly the Steelers wild card game - and he's why I still root for the Chiefs today.  Just not as much as the Niners though, even when he was playing for the Chiefs.

Archived