NFL: Super Bowl, offseason and quarterback musical chairs

DanteGabriel

8 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Brady is 42, won't he just be worse next year?

Probably, but arguably if he had a supporting cast like the Niners have, he'd have at least been good and not mediocre. It's tempting to think he would have won the Super Bowl if he'd started in Handsome Jimmy's place, but maybe they wouldn't have gotten as far with him as the starter in the first place because he would have frozen out Deebo Samuel and Kendrick Bourne after they ran the wrong route in week 2 or something.

17 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Why is there all this chatter about the Niners making a play for Brady? Do Niner fans actually want this?

Because it's a Wednesday during the dog days of the NBA season. They gotta talk about something, and I did hear a report that the Niners inquired about trading for Brady before they got Handsome Jimmy.

15 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Brady is 42, won't he just be worse next year?

Heard a breakdown that he was actually better in 2019 than in 2018, so :dunno:.

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Probably, but arguably if he had a supporting cast like the Niners have, he'd have at least been good and not mediocre. It's tempting to think he would have won the Super Bowl if he'd started in Handsome Jimmy's place, but maybe they wouldn't have gotten as far with him as the starter in the first place because he would have frozen out Deebo Samuel and Kendrick Bourne after they ran the wrong route in week 2 or something.

But Tom would look really good handing the ball off 566482 times per game.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Heard a breakdown that he was actually better in 2019 than in 2018, so :dunno:.

Calling bullshit on that breakdown. In 2018, he had a dip and then recovered later in the season. In 2019, he just dipped.

9 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Is he known for being that brutal with receivers?

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Not as good as Handsome Jimmy.

They might score more though, meaning more time with helmet off, more celebrating, greater chance of celebrating at the end. What he lacks in comparative quality can be made up with quantity. 

Jokes aside, I love the speculation of Brady going to SF and Jimmy going back to NE. It would actually be easy to do with a sign and trade. 

How great would it be if Brady and the Niners faced BB and the Pats in the Owl. Then we could finally know.....

Spoiler

It's Belichick

4 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Calling bullshit on that breakdown. In 2018, he had a dip and then recovered later in the season. In 2019, he just dipped.

I trust Mina Kimes, but a quick look at his stats doesn't back it up unless they mainly focused on the TD-Int ratio. 

Regardless. the Niners are probably the best fit for him though because he wouldn't have to do a lot.

7 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Is he known for being that brutal with receivers?

At least in the last 8-10 years, I think it's become more of a thing. First I can remember this becoming noticeable was 2013 when Welker left, Gronk was injured, and he had to break in a new crop of rookie receivers. He bawled out the young guys on the sideline and threw tantrums. That became a big storyline this year too.

I had a rant here a few weeks ago about how the Patriots offense is too complicated and the team hasn't been good at developing young receivers for basically forever. Brady and McDaniels trying to play 4 Dimensional Wizard Chess all the time is part of it.

42 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Why is there all this chatter about the Niners making a play for Brady? Do Niner fans actually want this?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I definitely do not.  I think it's all just internet bullshit anyway.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Can't speak for anyone else, but I definitely do not.  I think it's all just internet bullshit anyway.

As a fan of both teams but primarily the Pats I'd just be curious to see how Brady in SF would go, and I know Belichick wants his olive-skinned adopted son back.

11 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

At least in the last 8-10 years, I think it's become more of a thing. First I can remember this becoming noticeable was 2013 when Welker left, Gronk was injured, and he had to break in a new crop of rookie receivers. He bawled out the young guys on the sideline and threw tantrums. That became a big storyline this year too.

I had a rant here a few weeks ago about how the Patriots offense is too complicated and the team hasn't been good at developing young receivers for basically forever. Brady and McDaniels trying to play 4 Dimensional Wizard Chess all the time is part of it.

Ooph, yeah that's definitely gonna play a role in this offseason job-hunt. Thanks for the info, I thought this was just a Peyton thing.

15 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

How sad is it that you made an actual book reference and I was like, "Huh? There's no one named Connington in Oliver Twist."

Took me a second too, I was like who the F is Connington?

41 minutes ago, Trebla said:

I knew this was coming. 

The big question is how this effects the start of free agency. Does it begin? Are visits allowed? 

Shouldn't effect FA or draft really. Don't need to see them in person with skype and what not available. Pro days could be broadcast and interviews conducted via skype.

59 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Shouldn't effect FA or draft really. Don't need to see them in person with skype and what not available. Pro days could be broadcast and interviews conducted via skype.

Sounds like what they will be doing. NFL announces they are going ahead with the start of the new league year.  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28891831/nfl-not-delaying-start-league-year-coronavirus

We'll have to see if this will eventually disrupt  strength/conditioning and OTA's. Some begin April 1st. Here's a league schedule. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024960/article/offseason-workout-dates-announced-for-all-32-teams

Archived