Was Stannis ordered to kill the remaining Targaryens at dragonstone?

Mario Seddy

Probably just get hold of them and later they would either be neutralized ( castration, marriage of female member to one of Roberts children, taking the black) or have accident during their imprisonment if political situation demands it. Like many cases in change of dynasties.

What would Stannis do, it is hard question, certainly he wouldn't allow brutality as Tywin with his goons, but seeing he already chosen the side of his brother he would ultimately follow his decision.

If he is inspired by characters such as Tiberius Caesar or Richard III, than that also doesn't go in his favor since many members of their family were supposedly killed on  orders as a threat for the succession and stability.

Eddard on the other hand might have been tempted to let them go, with seeing the corpses of children placed beneath the Iron Throne.

On 1/26/2020 at 2:12 PM, Mario Seddy said:

Was Stannis ordered to kill the remaining Targaryens? Would his sense of justice have allowed him to kill a defenseless mother and her children? 

He would have murdered those innocent children.  An order would not be necessary.  It is understood that the rightful king is Viserys.  Stannis would have murdered them.  There is no reason for Queen Daenerys to show mercy to Stannis Baratheon.  None.  Stannis would not have shown any mercy to Prince Viserys and Princess Daenerys if he had gotten his evil hands on them at Dragonstone.  This never happened, thanks to Ser Willem Darry.

On 1/26/2020 at 8:12 PM, Mario Seddy said:

Was Stannis ordered to kill the remaining Targaryens? Would his sense of justice have allowed him to kill a defenseless mother and her children? 

Unlikely. Probably they would be just captured. Even Robert didn't want to start his reign with more unnecessary bloodshed and at that time Jon Arryn was also busy trying to tie all knots together. I don't think he would have allowed that.

Most likely outcome: Viserys is sent to the Wall. Dany to the silent sisters and is never told about her origins.

We have no idea. But I'd say it is not beneath Robert to make it clear to Stannis that he would have no issue at all if the Targaryens did not survive the taking of the castle, their subsequent imprisonment or journey to KL.

On 1/26/2020 at 8:12 PM, Mario Seddy said:

Would his sense of justice have allowed him to kill a defenseless mother and her children?

Stannis was willing to kill his own nephew, who was a good friend of his daughter, to push forward his own claim as a king. If he had been instructed to kill the last Targaryens, I have no doubt that he would have gone ahead with it.

I'd never put much faith in Stannis' "sense of justice".

4 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

Stannis was willing to kill his own nephew, who was a good friend of his daughter, to push forward his own claim as a king. If he had been instructed to kill the last Targaryens, I have no doubt that he would have gone ahead with it.

That is a different scenario, though. Stannis also starts to believe he might be the savior of mankind when entertaining this. How shitty a person he might be for not avenging Cressen and killing Renly and Penrose and abandoning Robert to Cersei he did not consider sacrificing Edric Storm just so he could sit the Iron Throne.

Robert and Stannis have a very complicated relationship. We don't know whether Robert would ask him to murder children for him, and we certainly do not know how Stannis would react if Robert asked something like that of him. Chances are not that bad that he would have told him point blank to do such an atrocious thing himself if he wanted it done. I don't think the Stannis George gives us would like to see himself as a thug or murderer of children.

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

That is a different scenario, though. Stannis also starts to believe he might be the savior of mankind when entertaining this. How shitty a person he might be for not avenging Cressen and killing Renly and Penrose and abandoning Robert to Cersei he did not consider sacrificing Edric Storm just so he could sit the Iron Throne.

Robert and Stannis have a very complicated relationship. We don't know whether Robert would ask him to murder children for him, and we certainly do not know how Stannis would react if Robert asked something like that of him. Chances are not that bad that he would have told him point blank to do such an atrocious thing himself if he wanted it done. I don't think the Stannis George gives us would like to see himself as a thug or murderer of children.

Inclined to agree.

If told to capture them and hand them over to Robert for execution, I think he'd do it. If told to murder them, I don't think he did.

28 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

Inclined to agree.

If told to capture them and hand them over to Robert for execution, I think he'd do it. If told to murder them, I don't think he did.

I don't think 'execution' is a term that can be used here. It would be murder in any case considering the age of the children. Stannis definitely would and tried to do his duty to Robert when commanding to take the castle and capture the Targaryens, but I doubt Robert told him he wanted to murder them afterwards - even if he did want to do that, which we don't know, either.

I think there is a big chance that he would have killed Viserys III but there would have been other uses for Daenerys, most notably making her a bride for his son and heir.

22 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

Stannis considered killing his nephew, which is very different of actually killing him. We see the moral struggle through ASOS regarding the issue at a particular low moment for Stannis. This struggle  is written as a classical trolley dilemma. Kill a boy and save the world.

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2020 at 12:01 PM, The hairy bear said:

Stannis was willing to kill his own nephew after a LOT of hesitation and only when convinced it was necessary to save humanity. 

Seems likely that Stannis was ordered to take Dragonstone.  Given what we know about Robert, it's highly unlikely he would have (a) wanted to kill children, or (b) wanted to order anyone to.  I'm not sure our perspective on this (Tywin) should be wrong.  And nothing we've seen in Stannis' character indicates that he's interested in killing children.

He's willing to sacrifice  Edric for a greater good, but that isn't the same thing.  Even GRRM says that Stannis is a righteous man.  Ned Stark may object to killing on general principal,  but Stannis at least will require something more than expediency to kill a child.  My guess is that Daenerys gets made a Silent Sister, under heavy guard, and Viserys would have gone to the Night's Watch and have been equally closely monitored

Archived