Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash according to TMZ

Rhom

Just now, The Last Storm said:

Just saw this. Devastating 

My step daughter asked me if I heard he had died and I didn’t believe her because my ESPN app hasn’t popped with anything yet.

Kobe would have been a terrific elder statesman of basketball. One of the biggest tragedies in sports history, to be sure. Still conflicting reports of his daughters or Rick Fox being on board with him. Whoever it was, they were someone's children or parents, so their loss is just as heart-breaking, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it together if it turns out any of his daughters were lost.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

I get small planes, but how many people die in helicopter crashes?

Mostly military personnel.    Kobe wasn't enlisted, though.   Odd.    I hope it wasn't a drone impact.   You can't hardly stick your tongue out without hitting a drone these days, and Kobe was always sticking his tongue out.

Helicopter travel is pretty well the most dangerous mode of flying there is, about 35 % more. But the hierarchy is actually large jets, (very very very safe, just lots of people die at once) single engine piston planes (10x the rate of big jets) then helicopters (higher survival rates).

Don’t kid yourself, car travel is hugely more dangerous and motorcycle travel the most dangerous.

I hope none of his children were on the copter with him. He had a great life, cut too short, his kids need to live theirs.

Damn, just saw his daughter was with him. He had four daughters.

26 minutes ago, DMC said:

Just found out while having a smoke outside my apt complex through a random neighbor.  Damn that sucks.  I get small planes, but how many people die in helicopter crashes?

This is part of the reason the missus and I skipped the helicopter tour when we went to Hawaii a couple years ago.

I sports-hated him, but RIP Kobe.

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

This is part of the reason the missus and I skipped the helicopter tour when we went to Hawaii a couple years ago.

Yeah my Mom just retired a little over a week ago and my parents will be doing a lot of traveling in the near future.  Over the past week they texted us kids pics of their helicopter tour around Key West.  Now I'm getting worried if this is gonna be a regular thing for them.

Archived