Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash according to TMZ

Rhom

17 minutes ago, The Last Storm said:

I believe the Duke Lacrosse team was also accused of rape. Way to jump all over a man when he’s dead. 

Nah, if it was true before he died, it’s still true now. Doesn’t make it any less tragic for the people involved, but he either did it or he didn’t, alive or dead. Personally I have never formed an opinion either way, not something I think we can effectively judge from the outside. 

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’m watching Celtics-Pelicans and each team let the shot clock wind down to zero on their opening possessions as a tribute. Shot clock and one of Kobe’s numbers, 24, were the same(for non b-ball fans). They did it at the Spurs game too. 

Forget which game but one of the games started with a 8 second half court violation, followed by the 24 sec shot clock violation. Both numbers he wore.

Not being a diehard basketball fan, Bryant's playing never figured too prominently into my life but he was so well known it was hard to not know who he was.  I really only knew four things about him, one of which he was a fan of fantasy novels including ASOIAF.  So perhaps a nice thing to remember about him and appropriate for this board:

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-sports/kobe-bryant-meets-his-hero-game-of-thrones-creator-george-r-r-martin-115075/

It's been several hours since the news broke, and it still doesn't feel real. I've been trying to process, but I can't. It just doesn't feel right that we now have to refer to Kobe Bryant in the past tense. And not only that, his daughter GiGi died also. I know many are hurting, but not as much as his family. They lost a husband, son, father, sister, daughter, and granddaughter. One of my lasting images of Kobe isn't anything he did on the court, it was during the credits of Kobe Bryant's Muse documentary on Showtime, which showed him spending time and having fun with his wife and daughters.

Rest in Power, Kobe and GiGi.

My heart breaks today. I still can't believe it. I grew up with Kobe Bryant on my television screen for decades. When I was a teenager I purchased a basketball hoop because of him, and practiced his moves on my driveway everyday. And I was so sure I will keep seeing him again in his post-NBA life when he takes on different challenges. He won an Academy Award for a short film, and he was aspiring to be a book-writer too. In the future, I thought I would occasionally see him court-side during WNBA games where his daughter Gianna may play someday ... now that is never going to happen. 

This is so damn awesome by the way. I never knew about this.
I have the same book set (minus GRRM's autograph) sitting on a book shelf with Kobe's autographed Lakers jersey hanging right above it. Sheer coincidence.

I love GRRM's personal message to Kobe on the first page of AGOT.

To Kobe,
Fly High,
Burn Bright

I am sure this is an Easter Egg for the final pages of ADOS.
Kobe would have loved it.

RIP the purple & gold legend
RIP Kobe & his daughter Gianna

On 1/27/2020 at 12:20 AM, The Last Storm said:

I believe the Duke Lacrosse team was also accused of rape. Way to jump all over a man when he’s dead. 

According to court documents, the facts of the June 30, 2003, incident to which I refer are that Bryant showed up at the Cordillera Spa in Edwards, Colorado, ahead of a knee surgery. A 19-year-old female concierge brought Kobe to his room. He asked her to return later to give him a tour of the hotel. She did so. At the end of the tour, he asked her to enter his room. She did. She said there was flirtation and consensual kissing. When he began groping her, she said, she tried to get away. He grabbed her by the neck, and she feared for her life. He bent her over a chair and removed her panties. She said twice that she begged him to stop but he penetrated her anyway. She left about five minutes later. Her clothes were messed up. She was upset. There was blood on her panties and on his shirt. That blood matched her DNA.

Again, i don't know how to reconcile this with mourning for the guy, and his kid. But to try and sweep it under the rug right now is doing a huge disservice to the truth, and to all victims of violence and rape who never get justice for what was done to them. We need to do better. 

I'd like to think that Kobe lived with the guilt of his actions for all his life, and tried to be a better person after wards. But that, in no way, excuses what he did. And it in no way makes his death any less tragic.  

15 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

At the risk of kicking up another fuss, here is what I thought to be a balanced take on Kobe and his "complications."

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/m7qbqx/kobe-bryant-was-no-more-complicated-than-anyone-else

The Vice article explicitly claims that Bryant and his team leaked the accuser's name, but the linked NYT article doesn't say that at all. The three separate incidents all originated at the court. One of the reasons she dropped the case, she said, was reported by the LA Times:

Another factor in the woman’s decision to ask prosecutors to drop the case was mistakes by the tiny court in Eagle, Colo., that her attorneys said caused her to lose faith in the judicial system. Her name was mistakenly released to the media three times (by policy, The Times never published it), and a sealed transcript of a closed hearing on DNA evidence was emailed to seven media outlets, including The Times.

The subtext seems to be that the court of a small town was not up to snuff for a case of this magnitude and level of media interest, and flubbed things badly.

2 minutes ago, Relic said:

Who sent the sealed transcripts to the media??

The court reporter did so by accident, apparently, when attempting to mail the transcript to other employees of the court. See here.

4 minutes ago, Relic said:

I can;t read the Times article, seem to be out of free monthly views. Why did the court reporter do that?

LA Times link was the wrong one, anyways. All it says is:

June 24: A court reporter mistakenly e-mails transcripts of a closed-door hearing to seven news organizations, including The Times. In the transcripts, a DNA expert details evidence bolstering a defense contention that Bryant’s accuser had sex with someone else soon after the alleged rape.

However, a legal text (by Judge Napolitano, no less) that touches on this as part of discussing constitutional laws provides the further explanation about the attempt to mail to other employees. Hard to find contemporaneous reporting, but I can't imagine that's not what was at least said to have happened at the time. 2003 is definitely the right era for a court reporter to not know how to e-mail things properly.

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

Edited to provide the explanation, but here also is the law book (by Judge Napolitano, no less) that touches on this as part of discussing constitutional laws.

The court reporter "accidentally" emailed it to 7 news organizations. That's...yeah. That's not an accident. 

Archived