What if Robb was the sole survivor of RW?

Eternally_Theirs

He'd try to return to RR, where his wife is. Be devestated at the loss of thousands of lives. Seek solace in his wife's arms. Probably be so much in shock that the Blackfysh can't get through to him, and then his mother in law would arrange for some trip, which is a trap, to have Robb delivered to the Lannisters.

But honestly, I cannot see how Robb who feels the burden, would be able to think straight after surviving the RW.

26 minutes ago, James Steller said:

Robb would probably be too shell shocked with guilt and would either kill himself or surrender to the Lannisters.

It could be this would break him of sticking to honor, being what doing so cost his father and now him. He could go to a very dark and revenge filled place.

14 hours ago, DR Supporter said:

Why is everyone ignoring my supposition that people might help him get better......?

I don't think anyone is ignoring it, they are just playing around with ideas for Robb. Him having people to help him get better isn't a sure thing. Even if he has people, doesn't mean it will work. Some times people are just broken beyond repair. 

I would expect something along the lines of what Lord Lannister said. He would probably come out of it a different person & not be so hell bent on being honorable. 

14 hours ago, DR Supporter said:

Why is everyone ignoring my supposition that people might help him get better......?

Because he is absolutely screwed. He'd be without key people such as the Greatjon, he'd have no army, no home. The world would just carry on around him. Roose would still be made WotN, and Ramsey would still attempt a marriage to a (f)Arya. He'd be holed up at RR and in doing so would force the Lannisters to converge on them. And Tywin would see to it that if it came to it, the castle was stormed and the rebel king killed. Rob dying helps the realm return to some form of peace. It's not the peace most readers wanted, but it's closer. 

What's helping some of our beloved characters right now is subterfuge. Sansa isn't Sansa, Arya isn't Arya. Bran is beyond the reach of Lannisters, Freys and Boltons. Rickon is MIA. 

So, it's hard to see Rob alive without a massive crosshair on his back. He's either hiding behind the walls of RR with the Lannisters and Freys outside. Or he's being mercilessly hunted through the RL. 

I think the only way things could of gotten interesting is if Rob's trauma somehow helped with his warging abilities. He could of linked-up with Nymeria, and maybe Stoneheart too. And perhaps he would of been more akin to the warg kings of old? I can sort of picture Rob hiding in RR with the enemy camped outside and Nymeria's pack nibbling at their attackers. And when the Lannisters and co turn to deal with the wolves, maybe Rob could make a dash somewhere or even go on the offensive? Still, wherever Rob was, Tywin and the Lannisters would of hounded them endlessly. Consider poor Beric, who paid with his own life over and over again to no avail.

I think the hard truth is that Rob needed to die. A version of the story where he still lives would be unrecognisable compared to the one we currently have. You may as well ask, what if Ned didn't die? 

Why did he need to die? So that false kings could keep the throne? Or for the narrative?

See, that's my problem with most stories. Many fans love the story for the sake of the story and care nothing if an universally loved character dies as long as it doesn't detract from the story. Who cares if some of us are upset that our beloved character died? No one but ourselves.

And you are right. What's helping our beloved characters is subterfuge. It could have helped Robb too. He could have been hidden in Riverrun by Blackfish or Edmure.

I would say more, but that falls under the realm of fan theory.

15 hours ago, DR Supporter said:

Because I don't think he would ever get better. That kind of guilt will only lead to him destroying himself either by giving himself over to execution or by killing himself. Imagine being responsible for so many deaths because of a mistake you made? Your friends, your comrades-in-arms, thousands of people who risk their lives for you, distant relatives, your beloved pet, your own mother, there's no therapist alive qualified to deal with that.

50 minutes ago, DR Supporter said:

Good. Cos being honorable is what got him killed.

Yeah, & that sucks. The Starks honor is one of the reasons we like them so much. But, for what it's worth, I don't think Robb would all of a sudden become some dishonorable douche bag. Just that he would not stick to his honor, particularly with people who don't deserve it. 

27 minutes ago, DR Supporter said:

See, that's my problem with most stories. Many fans love the story for the sake of the story and care nothing if an universally loved character dies as long as it doesn't detract from the story. Who cares if some of us are upset that our beloved character died? No one but ourselves.

Well, yeah the story is paramount. Elsewise it becomes fan-fiction. Consider the reaction to the abomination and also the latest SW movies. There's a real reason fanfic is loathed. It's more often than not a persons wish fulfilment over a well told story. And it's impractical to cater to peoples wishes over what serves the story best. 

May I ask, when did you start reading the series? I can promise you that Rob and co, dying the way they did hurt a lot of readers at the time. A few saw it coming and called it. But most of us were devastated. Rob winning his war felt like the most important thing in the story. His win would of saved a lot of the characters we care about and they could of recognised the threat beyond the wall. But that would of been too easy, wouldn't it? Sansa wouldn't get to learn from KL and LF. Bran may not of made it to the Three eyed Crow if a responsible adult was around to stop him. Arya would of gone to her brother and not the FM. Hindisght being 20-20, it's good for the story that Robb died when he did. The way he died ultimately kept readers engaged and made them more fervent in their convictions that the Starks were their heroes. 

31 minutes ago, DR Supporter said:

And you are right. What's helping our beloved characters is subterfuge. It could have helped Robb too. He could have been hidden in Riverrun by Blackfish or Edmure.

He could of tried. But a big part of the rebel's shield is that for all intents and purposes, they're finished. The IT no longer considers them a threat. And that's because Rob's head is on a spike. It deescalated the fighting in the RL and created a stalemate. And we can see that Lady Stoneheart, the BWB and Nymeria are all using this crucial moment to gather their strength. Tywin left the battlefield, and that helps the rebels a lot. If Rob was still out there, then so too would Tywin. 

And bare in mind, our author is very much anti-war. So he's very keen to demonstrate how huge battles can be won for no real gain.  

1 hour ago, TheThreeEyedCow said:

Well, yeah the story is paramount. Elsewise it becomes fan-fiction. Consider the reaction to the abomination and also the latest SW movies. There's a real reason fanfic is loathed. It's more often than not a persons wish fulfilment over a well told story. And it's impractical to cater to peoples wishes over what serves the story best. 

May I ask, when did you start reading the series? I can promise you that Rob and co, dying the way they did hurt a lot of readers at the time. A few saw it coming and called it. But most of us were devastated. Rob winning his war felt like the most important thing in the story. His win would of saved a lot of the characters we care about and they could of recognised the threat beyond the wall. But that would of been too easy, wouldn't it? Sansa wouldn't get to learn from KL and LF. Bran may not of made it to the Three eyed Crow if a responsible adult was around to stop him. Arya would of gone to her brother and not the FM. Hindisght being 20-20, it's good for the story that Robb died when he did. The way he died ultimately kept readers engaged and made them more fervent in their convictions that the Starks were their heroes. 

He could of tried. But a big part of the rebel's shield is that for all intents and purposes, they're finished. The IT no longer considers them a threat. And that's because Rob's head is on a spike. It deescalated the fighting in the RL and created a stalemate. And we can see that Lady Stoneheart, the BWB and Nymeria are all using this crucial moment to gather their strength. Tywin left the battlefield, and that helps the rebels a lot. If Rob was still out there, then so too would Tywin. 

And bare in mind, our author is very much anti-war. So he's very keen to demonstrate how huge battles can be won for no real gain.  

1. Yes, the Starks were our heroes, and still are. But what was Robb's family name again?
2. Robb is our hero too.
3. You better not be one of those schmucks who revers the very ground that Freys and Boltons walk on while laughing at the decapitated head of their biggest victim and be like 'he made mistakez, he deservez dis'.

20 minutes ago, DR Supporter said:

1. Yes, the Starks were our heroes, and still are. But what was Robb's family name again?
2. Robb is our hero too.
3. You better not be one of those schmucks who revers the very ground that Freys and Boltons walk on while laughing at the decapitated head of their biggest victim and be like 'he made mistakez, he deservez dis'.

I think you should probably re-read the 3EC's  post. They most certainly are not a "schmuck" & I don't think anything in the post suggested as much. Clearly, they are saying, story-wise - as in from an entertainment perspective & to keep the reader engaged, along with plot wise, Robb had to die. Not saying anything about The Frey's or Boltons walking on laughing etc. I understand sometimes it's hard to tell, but maybe take a step back & read the post again before jumping to that conclusion. 

I like Robb, but think how boring it would be to read about him continuously winning & always getting his way. Not that, that means he has to die a horrific death at the RW but to move other plots along & remain interesting, Robb had to die. 

Just now, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I think you should probably re-read the 3EC's  post. They most certainly are not a "schmuck" & I don't think anything in the post suggested as much. Clearly, they are saying, story-wise - as in from an entertainment perspective & to keep the reader engaged, along with plot wise, Robb had to die. Not saying anything about The Frey's or Boltons walking on laughing etc. I understand sometimes it's hard to tell, but maybe take a step back & read the post again before jumping to that conclusion. 

I like Robb, but think how boring it would be to read about him continuously winning & always getting his way. Not that, that means he has to die a horrific death at the RW but to move other plots along & remain interesting, Robb had to die. 

Maybe it would be boring, but me? I prefer reading about characters I like staying alive than reading an interesting story.

Just now, DR Supporter said:

Maybe it would be boring, but me? I prefer reading about characters I like staying alive than reading an interesting story.

You're certainly entitled to that opinion. Others would find it boring & they are entitled to their opinion. My point was, 3EC was telling you why they thought Robb had to die & it wasn't because they think the Frey's & Boltons are great & Robb is horrible. 

4 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

You're certainly entitled to that opinion. Others would find it boring & they are entitled to their opinion. My point was, 3EC was telling you why they thought Robb had to die & it wasn't because they think the Frey's & Boltons are great & Robb is horrible. 

So I have no right to speak my opinion anymore? Mmkay.

2 minutes ago, DR Supporter said:

So I have no right to speak my opinion anymore? Mmkay.

No, that isn't what I'm saying at all. I'm explaining to you that while there are posters who, in direct opposition to the text, believe that anyone that partakes in the downfall of the Starks are great because they hate the Starks but the poster that you quoted: TheThreeEyedCrow, is not one of them & I didn't think they suggested they were in their post. 

Archived