What if Robb was the sole survivor of RW?

Eternally_Theirs

On 1/26/2020 at 4:30 PM, Robb4Ever said:

What would have happened?

Your screen name suggests to me that you may not be the most objective participate to this discussion.  I think it depends entirely on how strong Robb's sense of duty was and whether he figured out his wife's family was not really helping him.  If the former but not the latter, bad things.  If the latter but not the former.  He's in a bloody stupor over his sheer foolishness.  

Winning battles but losing the war is not the hallmark of a good foresighted leader.

9 minutes ago, Robb4Ever said:

It's one or the other. You can't like Robb and like the story he died in.

See this is why I joke & ignore, because as soon as I speak seriously with you, you start telling me what I can & cannot like. It's pointless. 

I think a better question is why did you read this story you don't like? 

1 minute ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

See this is why I joke & ignore, because as soon as I speak seriously with you, you start telling me what I can & cannot like. It's pointless. 

I think a better question is why did you read this story you don't like? 

I think the better question is why the author is killing off the characters us fans like when it only inspires us to do the very thing he doesn't want done?

2 minutes ago, Robb4Ever said:

I think the better question is why the author is killing off the characters us fans like when it only inspires us to do the very thing he doesn't want done?

We have already been through this. Killing off the characters fans like have no bearing on whether or not fanfic is written. There were lots of characters I liked killed of & I've never written any fanfic. People will write it if they want. 

Also, you do see that you seem to have a very unique view point on the matter no? Has one, single, person agreed with you on this forum? Lots of people agreed they liked Robb & were sad to see him die but everything else you say is a pretty rare opinion, so when you say "us" fans I think you are really only talking about a very small group that you are included in. 

Probably, while George doesn't like fanfic, it doesn't bother him enough to change his story whether or not it would lessen the fanfic. It would be a piss poor author to change his entire story to appease the minority, when the majority like it the way it is right? 

8 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

We have already been through this. Killing off the characters fans like have no bearing on whether or not fanfic is written. There were lots of characters I liked killed of & I've never written any fanfic. People will write it if they want. 

Also, you do see that you seem to have a very unique view point on the matter no? Has one, single, person agreed with you on this forum? Lots of people agreed they liked Robb & were sad to see him die but everything else you say is a pretty rare opinion, so when you say "us" fans I think you are really only talking about a very small group that you are included in. 

Probably, while George doesn't like fanfic, it doesn't bother him enough to change his story whether or not it would lessen the fanfic. It would be a piss poor author to change his entire story to appease the minority, when the majority like it the way it is right? 

Except that according to Martin himself, the majority of the fans were angry at that. They sent him hate mail too. Plus, if he were against fanfiction that much, appeasing his fans was easy enough thing to do. Many people thing that appeasing the fans is taboo and that doing it would cause something bad to happen in their personal lives, which isn't true. 

3 minutes ago, Robb4Ever said:

Except that according to Martin himself, the majority of the fans were angry at that. They sent him hate mail too. Plus, if he were against fanfiction that much, appeasing his fans was easy enough thing to do. Many people thing that appeasing the fans is taboo and that doing it would cause something bad to happen in their personal lives, which isn't true.

ok, so what is the reason then? You tell me the right answer & then I'll say it back. Will that make you happy? 

19 minutes ago, Robb4Ever said:

What is the reason for what?

What is the reason GRRM kills off characters that fans like? You tell me the answer. I've told you what I think but you negate it. So why don't you just tell me the answer you want to hear & I'll give you that. 

10 minutes ago, Robb4Ever said:

You yourself said that majority of fans like Robb, for instance. And unless he appeases that majority, they will continue writing fanfiction to showcase how much they love (insert character here). 

You are equating appeasing the fans to keeping Robb alive. That isn't the case. For instance, I was so angry when Ned died, I truly expected him to be the hero of the story. But it wouldn't have appeased me to let Ned live if the story suffered for it. The reason I like the books so much is because the characters become very real & alive, so when one dies I feel it. I like to read things that cause me to have emotion, even when that emotion is sometimes negative. 

1 hour ago, Robb4Ever said:

It's one or the other. You can't like Robb and like the story he died in.

That is patently untrue. One of the things that many of the rest of us like about this story is that we do care about characters, and when some of the ones we like come to tragic ends, it's devastating. To many of us, that's what makes ASOIAF so much more engaging that many other F/SF stories.

YOU like the character, and don't like the story he's in; none of us is telling you you can't. Have a little respect for opinions other than your own.

Archived