NBA Season 2020 - RIP Mamba

Relic

I was listening to the recap this morning of all the athlete tributes from yesterday.  Golfers.  Tennis players overseas.  Soccer in Europe.  NBA of course.

It really got me thinking about what a global star he was and just how much that draft day trade from Charlotte changed his future.  Had he been a Hornet/Pelican his whole career, I'm sure he would have still be great.  He'd have zero championships and would not have the iconic brand of the Lakers behind him.  Just makes you think a bit more about the butterfly effect of every little decision that we have no control over.

I'm not a big fan of cancelling games for one persons death. It sets a real bad precedent that can truly hurt people's families later on. Who decides just how much of an impact a player made and whether a game should be cancelled? If player X dies in a car wreck do you do it for him? How many all star games do you have to appear in before it triggers this, how high on all time points leader board?

Personally I think what some teams did yesterday with the 24 second clock thing was perfect, it was real, honest and not forced. You could do this going forward and not impact schedules. 

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Though he probably deserves an ongoing honour. Is there any awards that aren't named already that could carry his? 

Not a major award, but the NBA All-Star Game MVP is unnamed, and Kobe won 4 of them which is tied with Bob Pettit for the most all time. With the game coming up in a few weeks it would make a lot of sense. 

58 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Not a major award, but the NBA All-Star Game MVP is unnamed, and Kobe won 4 of them which is tied with Bob Pettit for the most all time. With the game coming up in a few weeks it would make a lot of sense. 

That would make sense. Also the all star game is a lot about swagger, Kobe had that in buckets. 

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28577888/nba-postpones-clippers-lakers-game-kobe-bryant-death

The Lakers organization hasn't made a public statement about Bryant's death, choosing to mourn in private. The 16-time NBA champion franchise made grief counselors available to employees Monday after the loss of Bryant, who spent his entire 20-year NBA career with the Lakers.

Lakers/Clippers postponed. Good move.  

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Just heard that Kobe is going into the basketball hall of fame this year and forgoing the normal voting process.

I have no problem with that.

Yeah though I wonder who was NOT going to vote for him in even if he was alive.

23 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Just heard that Kobe is going into the basketball hall of fame this year and forgoing the normal voting process.

Only herbs with hate running through their DNA would be bothered by this.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

That's fine and fitting. But the ideas flying around about making him the logo or retiring his number league wide are way too much.

9 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

That's fine and fitting. But the ideas flying around about making him the logo or retiring his number league wide are way too much.

Agreed.  The logo is perfect, but if it should change it would need to be the jumpman.

The logo is fine the way it is. Jerry West was a great basketball player AND general manager. He represents both parts of the NBA business extremely well. And besides, Kobe's basketball DNA has a lot of "Jerry West" in him already when he traded for Kobe in the draft. 

The Kobe All Star MVP is a great idea btw.

Beal and Booker pretty giant snubs from the All-Star game.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28603346/wizards-bradley-beal-upset-all-star-game-omission

Regarding Booker he's not just a numbers chasing chucker either, he's extremely efficient-

Booker, who has never made an All-Star team, is averaging 27.1 points per game, fifth-most in the West, and 6.4 assists per game on 51% shooting this season. The only other players in NBA history to average 27 points and six assists on 50% shooting in a season are LeBron James, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Stephen Curry and Oscar Robertson.

1 minute ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28603346/wizards-bradley-beal-upset-all-star-game-omission

Regarding Booker he's not just a numbers chasing chucker either, he's extremely efficient-

Booker, who has never made an All-Star team, is averaging 27.1 points per game, fifth-most in the West, and 6.4 assists per game on 51% shooting this season. The only other players in NBA history to average 27 points and six assists on 50% shooting in a season are LeBron James, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Stephen Curry and Oscar Robertson.

First for 35 years to average 27+ and not make the all star game apparently (I haven't bothered checking). 

7 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Its not fair to say snub unless you name a person they should replace. Otherwise, too bad, limited slots. Who are you kicking off? Chris Paul? Westbrook?

Don't see the point of quoting trivia. Yeah, he compares to those players. Wow! On arbitrary benchmarks. Without context. Implied relevance. :rolleyes: 

Archived