NBA Season 2020 - RIP Mamba

Relic

6 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Piston fan here-

His first 5 yrs he was terrible at FT shooting, about 38%. But he's been a 60% FT shooter for the last 3 yrs, so there's been decent improvement with him there. Teams haven't resorted to the "hack-a-shaq" D on Andre for a few years now.

Your gonna see plenty games with Andre having a 20 points (w/ 54% shooting), 20 boards, 2 steals and 2 blocks, stat line. I think Clevelands gonna be glad with his play.

Good to know.

I also think he's a perfect fit next to Love, and I kind of like the attitude the Cavs took with the deadline.  Everyone thought they were going to trade Love and Thompson and bottom out, but the market just wasn't there for either guy so instead they made a move to make the team better and appease Love (he and Drummond share an agent and are apparently good friends) while not giving up anything of consequence.

Drummond will never be on a contending team, but this feels like a decent fit to me. That must be a pretty hard pill to swallow though for a 2x all-star NBA player putting up the kind of stats he puts up. Unfortunate reality is, regardless of the merits or lack thereof in his individual play, this era just isn't right for his game.

5 hours ago, briantw said:

Good to know.

I also think he's a perfect fit next to Love, and I kind of like the attitude the Cavs took with the deadline.  Everyone thought they were going to trade Love and Thompson and bottom out, but the market just wasn't there for either guy so instead they made a move to make the team better and appease Love (he and Drummond share an agent and are apparently good friends) while not giving up anything of consequence.

Yeah I think they will be an interesting team. You'll almost never be out rebounded. 

A while back we had a discussion about no shows at the world cup and whether they should go to the olympics, seems Colangelo has similar thoughts. 

No Trae in initial 44 seems harsh. 

"I can only say, you can't help but notice and remember who you thought you were going to war with and who didn't show up. ... All we could have done, and we did it, is get the commitments from a lot of players. So with that kind of a hand, you feel reasonably confident that you're going to be able to put a very good representative team on the court. No one would have anticipated the pullouts that we had."

On 2/11/2020 at 2:17 AM, BigFatCoward said:

A while back we had a discussion about no shows at the world cup and whether they should go to the olympics, seems Colangelo has similar thoughts. 

No Trae in initial 44 seems harsh. 

"I can only say, you can't help but notice and remember who you thought you were going to war with and who didn't show up. ... All we could have done, and we did it, is get the commitments from a lot of players. So with that kind of a hand, you feel reasonably confident that you're going to be able to put a very good representative team on the court. No one would have anticipated the pullouts that we had."

Dude can't play any defense. 

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Dude can't play any defense. 

Not sure they will need to play much defence v most of the teams they will face. 

I'm not saying he is a starter, but he must be one of the 44 best players. Also I'd imagine young players who have never been to the olympics and dont have a career of wear and tear are more likely to give a shit and show up. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

he must be one of the 44 best players.

Klay and KD are in as well. It might just be a courtesy inclusion, but I'm highly sceptical of their readiness to play. Looking at players like Kawhi, PG, Hayward, its likely that their initial return will be underwhelming. At least Oladipo is cleared to play now, we don't even know if Klay or KD will be able to before the season ends. 

6 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Guess Booker is in after all. Probably. @DireWolfSpirit 

Have Booker play Ja Morant 1 on 1.  Winner gets Dame’s spot.

You know you’d watch!

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

You know you’d watch!

Hear, hear!

Speaking of Ja - at risk of sounding like a drooling fanboy, I've hesitated posting anything in this thread about how incredibly well he's played this season. Luckily, FiveThirtyEight said it much better than I ever could:smug:

11 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

:bang:

???

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Not sure they will need to play much defence v most of the teams they will face. 

I'm not saying he is a starter, but he must be one of the 44 best players. Also I'd imagine young players who have never been to the olympics and dont have a career of wear and tear are more likely to give a shit and show up. 

He is top 44 easily. I just looked at the list and some of those names are laughable. Still, omitting Zion is more offensive considering he might end his rookie year as a top 10 player. If he can stay healthy he might end up in the all-time top 10. He’s that good.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

You know you’d watch!

17 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Hear, hear!

Speaking of Ja - at risk of sounding like a drooling fanboy, I've hesitated posting anything in this thread about how incredibly well he's played this season. Luckily, FiveThirtyEight said it much better than I ever could:smug:

I think Ja would destroy Booker. Booker might be a bit better right now overall, but Ja will be so much better when all is said and done. He’s like a young hybrid of Iverson and Westbrook.

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Hear, hear!

Drool away! He’s worth every bit of the fanboy love.

28 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I mentioned upthread about how much I disliked allusion to others who hold similar stats. Its remarkably vapid.

It certainly can be, but I actually think this is a decent one as it highlights scoring and  versatility at a young age.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It certainly can be, but I actually think this is a decent one as it highlights scoring and  versatility at a young age.

I'm getting increasingly down on box score stats as well, but my point wasn't about that. 30 5 5 or 31 9 5 is good. Go with that. Its the LeBron, KD and Luka part that irks me. It doesn't highlight scoring and versatility. It highlights stats companies ability to generate trivia.

4 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I'm getting increasingly down on box score stats as well, but my point wasn't about that. 30 5 5 or 31 9 5 is good. Go with that. Its the LeBron, KD and Luka part that irks me. It doesn't highlight scoring and versatility. It highlights stats companies ability to generate trivia.

I mean I get it, but it really only bothers me when pundits say things like, "Hey look, Ja is the first player in 30 years to put up a stat line of 22 points, 14 rebounds and 16 assists." 

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I mean I get it, but it really only bothers me when pundits say things like, "Hey look, Ja is the first player in 30 years to put up a stat line of 22 points, 14 rebounds and 16 assists." 

I assume you mean the actual lines drawn are curated just to make that statement? I honestly don't think there's a difference. 

Anyway, I've been at boiling point for awhile now, so I'd like to vent. Thanks for the opportunity. :cheers:

On 2/13/2020 at 8:02 AM, Tywin et al. said:

He's only the fourth player under 20 to put up a 30/5/5 stat line, 

Why under 20? Why not rookie season? Because of the CBA, most players who enter their rookie season are 19 or 20 depending on their birthdays. How many players are disqualified before they are eligible to play their first game?

Why 30/5/5? Just for reference, the other three players all qualify for 30/10/5. 5 rebounds isn't a lot, especially for a forward. Of course Zion still has many games to hit that milestone, and 9 isn't that much different from 10, but if Luka came after Zion, Zion wouldn't be mentioned because he had that 1 rebound less. It would be just KD and LeBron.

Also, it is a single game. Not an average. It is not indicative of a trend on its own. 

Finally, its the allusion that gets me. There is zero substance. LeBron and KD aren't very similar and Luka is in his second year. The line is just left there for readers to fill in the blanks on their own. "See, he is just like them. How? Based on some empty box score stats!" :rolleyes:

Archived